Tire Day - The day I have been dreading...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
And to think I grimaced a bit at paying $88.43/ea for my Starfire Solaris AP 265/70/17's (mail ordered through Walmart) for my 2019 classic. A local shop mounted/balanced them for me for $100. It was about $500 all in.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: That's what I did, I ordered the Defenders and scheduled it for Saturday. Thx
While not truck tires I had Defenders on a civic and they lasted 83k on a 80k tread life rating.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an FYI for the Veterans out there.
The VA CANTEEN sells tires at a good price.

When I wanted to upgrade the tires on our travel trailer. I checked the price on the Canteen. It was significantly better. I took that info to Discount Tire and they matched that price.

Good luck

JetDoc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3 liter EcoDiesel
My Ram 1500 4x4 came due for new tires this past spring. The guys at my local tire shop highly recommended Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires. They have a fairly aggressive tread pattern and are good on snow and ice, but surprisingly much quieter on the highway than the OEM tires that came on the truck. They come with a 55,000-mile tread life warranty. I'm happy with the new tires

Compu-Doc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So, I have a 2014 RAM 1500 Laramie CC with 43k miles. Still a baby. lol
The stock GY SR-A's have been terrible, especially in Massachusetts snow.
Tax free weekend is here, so I will take advantage of that.

I've been looking at the Michelin Defender LTX, not on sale $1,400.
Yokohama was suggested at the tire shop my cousin works at and it's, buy 3 get 1 free day for $1,100.
All installed, with alignment, as I think I need it up front looking at the tire wear patterns.

I hear mostly good about these tires.
I don't want a noisy tire and I hear both of these are pretty good.
I do see that the Yoko's are listed as slightly less comfort and fuel efficiency.

Any chance anyone here has owed both and have a real world usage?

Thanks, pic attached.

Update:
Well, I broke down and spent the money on the Michelin Defender LTX.
That will get done on Saturday, which is tax free weekend.

I guess I can't complain too much.
The dealers do the oil changes.
I myself have done the front and rear diff fluids, air filter, front brakes a month ago, and had to do rear brakes 2 years ago due to a brake pad failure.
Also I had to replace 2 of the SR-A's a couple years ago.

So not much money overall for maintenance, I just hate spending it. lol
So just to throw my two cents in and living in Canada I have some experience with snow if you get true snow tires and plan to run them year round you'll find that they aren't great after a summer or two because the rubber tends to harden and won't grip the ice and snow as well as they did new regardless of how much tread there is. That's why I have my OEM set for summer and a full snow tires with studs mounted on another set of rims for winter. When I had my Grand Cherokee I was trying to go year round with one set until I did a 180 going down our street in the first snowfall of the year. Later that day I bought the full set of snowies and one of the first things I did when I get my Ram was the same thing.
I hated having to spend close to 3K on them but at least I know we're going to be safe in the winter....

Scott0700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is reasonable to assume that you’ll have to buy tires for your truck at some point in its life. Buying a dedicated winter set right from the start only costs the price of a set of used rims. You were going to buy a set of tires at some point anyway.

OP
OP
M

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is reasonable to assume that you’ll have to buy tires for your truck at some point in its life. Buying a dedicated winter set right from the start only costs the price of a set of used rims. You were going to buy a set of tires at some point anyway.
No doubt.
I am bursting from the seams here, so a spare set of rims/tires are not practical at the moment.
I had looked on Craigs List and didn't see any pulls that people were selling at the time.

PJ_Shamrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Western Masshole here. Put the LTXs on my 19 Classic last year (have 9,000 miles on them now) and they handled last winter just fine. Well mannered on the Pike at 72 mph, no more discernible noise than the SR-As they replaced.

Attachments

• 20220811_163428.jpg
    20220811_163428.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 16

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had Michelin Defenders as summer tires on my Tundra that were new in Spring '21 with very low use. I wrangled a deal last January where the Ram dealership transferred the Michelins from my Tundra trade-in to the new Ram 20" rims and mounted those horrid SRA's onto the Tundra.

Living where I do, I've always had 2 sets of wheels, summer & winter. I'm hooked on using BFG All Terrain for winters. My area often doesn't see a plow for up to 36 hours after a big dump of snow & the BFG performs excellent in deep snow.

So, guess where I got a screaming deal on new 17" OEM steel rims for my Ram? I paid $69CDN each at the Ram dealership. Local jobber parts stores were quoting between $110 & $130 each. The dealership had access to all the old take-offs that resulted from wheel upgrades.

If you're looking for steel winter rims, ask your Ram dealership. You might find a great deal as I did.

PS; I have found the Michelin Defender & LTX are absolutely horrific tires for Canadian Winters. I've tried using them both after procrastinating at switching to my winter wheels, BIG mistake, at least up here. YMMV :)

O ya, I did forget to comment on the Defenders, formerly LTX-MS2. I found them very quiet and smooth on the road and the grip is excellent wet or dry.

Last edited:
Reactions: MMM

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’m running Continental terrain contact HT. Less than 200 miles on them but handle dry and wet road fine.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Per M, I've had Bridgestone Duelers on 2 vehicles and never got more than 40,000 miles on them. I switched to Michelin AT2's on one vehicle and have 66,758 miles on those tires and still have approx. 5/32 of tread left. The other vehicle was a 2016 Ram 1500 and I put Michelin Defender LTX and had about 50,000 on those when I traded it for my 2020 and the tires still looked like new. Price wise, the Michelin and the Bridgestone pricing is about the same and Discount Tire so for the money and the mileage, I'd suggest the Defender.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would highly recommend the Toyo Open Country A/T III especially here in MA. Great tire plus they they are 3 peak rated meaning they are severe snow.
My truck ('18 Rebel) came with the Toyo OC A/T II's stock, and I mis-ordered III's recently to replace. They don't seem to have as much sticktion as the II's did. My II's needed 50k to start "breaking free" in the rain in the south. My new III's broke free on the onramp to the interstate after only like 2k wear. There is a chance that that was just bad timing (IE the rain might have just started, I don't remember), but I have just felt the III's don't quite grab as hard as the II's did.

That being said, the III's do seem to have "worn in" a little, and are doing better, but they also look to be wearing a lot more. My II's like I said made it over 50k before I broke down. The III's look like I have had them for a while, but it's only been like 6-8k since January.

Juice17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have generals myself. Extra load tires. About 10,000 miles and no problems yet.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can not compare the tires that come with the truck from the factory to ones you buy at the stores or even dealer. Factory tires are all junk and aimed at ride quality instead of wear and handling. Even the Michelin tires that come oem on Toyotas barely last 20k miles, where as the ones you can buy will easily outlast that going 60k or more.
I'll have to say that my 2019 Laramie 4x4 came with Falken Wildpeak AT3 275 55 20 tires and I now have 55-k on them with smooth even ware. I pull travel trailer with the truck and have had zero issues. The tires are quite and run smooth so I'd have to say that not all tires from the factory are junk!

Alweeja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Falken Wildpeak tire is priced well. I just wonder about longevity.

I may give them a try.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I’m running Continental terrain contact HT. Less than 200 miles on them but handle dry and wet road fine.
How is the ride and how is the noise? Are they quiet and comfortable on the highway?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How is the ride and how is the noise? Are they quiet and comfortable on the highway?
Very quite, I keep them at 40 psi and to me the ride is very comfortable.

Also, they have a 45 day trial, since I like them, I haven’t looked into it.

Last edited:

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can not compare the tires that come with the truck from the factory to ones you buy at the stores or even dealer. Factory tires are all junk and aimed at ride quality instead of wear and handling. Even the Michelin tires that come oem on Toyotas barely last 20k miles, where as the ones you can buy will easily outlast that going 60k or more.
My '09 Civic came with Michelins from factory, and they ran great for ~60k, then I replaced them with Conti ProContacts (My sister works for Conti, so I got a deal), THOSE were horrible tires. Rode like ****, performed like ****, loud. The Michelins from factory were good tires.

My ram came with Toyo AT II's, and they were great tires until about 45k (40k rated I think), when they started to lose traction in the rain. The III's I replaced them with as I goofed the order are not as good IMHO. SOME factory tires suck. Not all do.