Tire Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Champ1414

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking for some advice.. I have a 2018 hemi 5.7 1500 only had it a month 32,000 miles on it . I just put a leveling kit 2 1/2 inches on the front and decided to takeoff stock tires and rims undecided which way to go I read and heard about BFG, K02.s also but I Wind up going with Nitto Ridge Grappler 295/55/20 with a -12 Millimeters offset It’s definitely and aggressive look with the tires and the rims but being the first time trying to get used to this they told me these tires were the most comfortable quiet tires you can buy with that aggressive look I don’t know about quiet I’m going crazy with the road noise it’s a nice ride can this road noise be because of the -12 offset that the wheel sticks out a little bit or I will still have the road noise especially highway noise once I hit 45 mph. Inquiring minds want to know I really don’t know what I did I sold my stock tires and rims I almost wanted to go back to them they run much smoother and better than these tires I guess because they were highway tires not good in the rain but they rode good and less road noise I was about to get rid of these tires and rims and start all over again my question is is it someway somehow or is it the tire or something I have to get used to the road noise of these tires but the set up on my truck looks great the compliments are overwhelming but I’m just not happy with the road noise coming from the tires and if that’s quiet then I’m afraid to try any other tire any advice or I just got to get used to driving a truck with some road noise or should I change these tires to a different tire the quiet the road noise please let me know what you think. Thanks

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Looking for some advice.. I have a 2018 hemi 5.7 1500 only had it a month 32,000 miles on it . I just put a leveling kit 2 1/2 inches on the front and decided to takeoff stock tires and rims undecided which way to go I read and heard about BFG, K02.s also but I Wind up going with Nitto Ridge Grappler 295/55/20 with a -12 Millimeters offset It’s definitely and aggressive look with the tires and the rims but being the first time trying to get used to this they told me these tires were the most comfortable quiet tires you can buy with that aggressive look I don’t know about quiet I’m going crazy with the road noise it’s a nice ride can this road noise be because of the -12 offset that the wheel sticks out a little bit or I will still have the road noise especially highway noise once I hit 45 mph. Inquiring minds want to know I really don’t know what I did I sold my stock tires and rims I almost wanted to go back to them they run much smoother and better than these tires I guess because they were highway tires not good in the rain but they rode good and less road noise I was about to get rid of these tires and rims and start all over again my question is is it someway somehow or is it the tire or something I have to get used to the road noise of these tires but the set up on my truck looks great the compliments are overwhelming but I’m just not happy with the road noise coming from the tires and if that’s quiet then I’m afraid to try any other tire any advice or I just got to get used to driving a truck with some road noise or should I change these tires to a different tire the quiet the road noise please let me know what you think. Thanks

I don't really have much advice, but the last time I had a 4x4 with aggressive A/T's on it (I ran with Cooper), I had road noise. If you're going 2 or 3 mph, can you feel the tires shaking your truck? I could, and I would assume you probably can as well and that's why you're getting the road noise. If you don't get used to it or think you'll get used to it, you might be able to swap them out if they're still brand new.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
With stock, your road noises were probably dampened by the body of the truck, with the offset sticking your wheels out from under the body and the wider tires, its now throwing that noise up and out and around.

Just guessing here. Im not a scientist

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
aggressive tires are going to be louder than street tires..oh and when they wear they will get louder if you don't keep up on tire rotations.....I have a set of Toyo RT in 35x12.5-17 my buddy has Nitto Ridge grapplers in the same size. We have the same wheels ie AEV saltas +27mm offset and the same trucks 2020 PW. Mine are quieter than his. Very similar tire and made on the same carcass.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My dad has ridge grapplers on his F150 and They are louder then my Toyo R/Ts

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
they told me these tires were the most comfortable quiet tires you can buy with that aggressive
They didn't say those tires were quiet, just that for an aggressive tread they're quieter than other aggressive tread tires.
The bigger openings between the tread especially down the center will usually result in more noise as they roll.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AT/MT tires are going to be louder than the pedestrian P metric tires that came from the factory. I imagine the Nittos are an E load range? Stiffer sidewall and more aggressive tread=more noise. If you want the look, you have to deal with the noise and ride. Some tire places/manufacturers allow a swap to different ones if you dont like what you purchased.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Even having had many sets of aggressive tires it’s easy to sell yourself sometimes. A few months back I wanted aggressive tires on one of my vehicles for occasional mud and I got some.
Well, a few weeks listening to the roar convinced me I’d rather be winching a couple of times a year than listen to the racket every day. Back to KO2 I went.

Offset won’t much affect sounds but it will change the steering feel and accelerate some wear on the front end. Sellers never advertise those features.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even having had many sets of aggressive tires it’s easy to sell yourself sometimes. A few months back I wanted aggressive tires on one of my vehicles for occasional mud and I got some.
Well, a few weeks listening to the roar convinced me I’d rather be winching a couple of times a year than listen to the racket every day. Back to KO2 I went.

Offset won’t much affect sounds but it will change the steering feel and accelerate some wear on the front end. Sellers never advertise those features.
Yup, a seller neva tells U the down side of a product, that be where U need due diligence. I put Falkens on my Bighorn, and yes they dropped my mileage 1 to 1 1/2 mpg and a lil noise. But I was sure happy with heck of a lot better road handling, especially in water on roadway, just IMHO.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I went with terra grapplers and the noise is hardly noticeable, but with factory wheels . Your new wheels are probably not causing any noise ,it’s them tires. Have you tried adjusting the air pressure to see if it helps to change the sound ?

RobGreen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ag
I went with terra grapplers and the noise is hardly noticeable, but with factory wheels . Your new wheels are probably not causing any noise ,it’s them tires. Have you tried adjusting the air pressure to see if it helps to change the sound ?
I agree here, try lowering your tire pressure. I have Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T (20") and I keep my tire pressure between 40-45 psi. I don't notice the sound, but I have had them for about 4 years now. Obviously, there will be more noise than a less aggressive tire, but I prefer the look and the noise doesn't bother me at all.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
One more that agrees. I never run tires that aren't aggressive. A offroad 4x4 with quiet street tires is completely useless to me. Aggressive tires make noise but I can steer and move in heavy mud. Transforce ATs won't steer at all in this mud or snow and they don't grip well enough to pull u forward on anything but flat ground. If u never go off pavement, like my wife's Grand Cherokee, quiet like her 20" Perelli Scorpions are fine.

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had the ridge grapplers on my 1500 35/12.5 /20 on my laremie, they look great, but like I was trying to tell people here a few years ago, the are a loud tires on smooth roads!! They are a aggressive tire!! After a 10,000 miles, I couldn’t take the noise, sold them on the market place. Got me a set of Generals ATx, smooth, quite, problem solved.