Tire P.S.I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
At the dragstrip 65 to 70psi in front tires,18 to 22psi in rear drag radials depending on traction,what else do you want to know,lol.
You should qualify your question a bit better,what are you looking for "best ride" , "best mpg" ,"best tire life" they all dictate a differant pressure depending on what you want out of your tires

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
40 psi, 33" ProComp AT. RAM 1500

OP
OP
Ram_d00d

Ram_d00d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
At the dragstrip 65 to 70psi in front tires,18 to 22psi in rear drag radials depending on traction,what else do you want to know,lol.
You should qualify your question a bit better,what are you looking for "best ride" , "best mpg" ,"best tire life" they all dictate a differant pressure depending on what you want out of your tires

I just mean in general. Trying to promote conversation is all

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There are so many threads on this topic. Search key words like "tire", "pressure", etc. Look in 4th and 5th gen. While conversation here is good, I would imagine the long time members might have grown a bit tired of typing the same things repeatedly for a general pressure query. But if you have a specific weight/trailer question, for example, then you might get detailed response that will help you in your specific application. Good luck

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Don't know what to tell you, it works for me for the driving that I do.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Just saying, it's not avalid test, laws of physics can't be changed. Measurement on a tire at almot null speed vs that tire at highway speed, the contact area is vastly different.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just saying, it's not avalid test, laws of physics can't be changed. Measurement on a tire at almot null speed vs that tire at highway speed, the contact area is vastly different.

Like I said, for the driving I do it works. Now if I was doing a lot of hiway driving I would have different psi's or if pulling / hauling stuff I'd probably go with another psi. Absolutely physics is the big factor. I don't think there is one right answer for what psi to run. Maybe I should have said that at the beginning [emoji848].
Now my hellcat is a whole different animal for tire psi.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I agree chalk test shows 15 psi to 50 psi all being fine on my jeep. Never worked for me. I use the 10% rule and that has always given me even tire wear.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
32 in the front and 46 in the rear when I tow. Towing heavy lightens mg front up hence the light front and heavy rear. But I also run 12 ply and b grade rubber as well as a harder compound so depends on what you're doing when you're doing it and what works. Every truck use and brand is different. Without a trailer I usually run 32 front 30ish rear. Makes it ride somewhat smooth.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my OEM equivalent Michelin defender LTX tires, I just run what the sticker on the door jam says which is just 39 pounds of pressure. When I had the BFG all-terrain‘s before that, I ran those at 50 psi on the front and about 46, 47 in the back even though BFG‘s recommendation was to run 55 psi all the way around with a minimum of 50 psi all the way around.

As far as that chalk test stuff, I can’t necessarily comment on it because I’ve never used it but all I can say is when I ran those stock-sized BFG’s, it didn’t matter if I ran them at 65 psi or 39 psi, the tread patch contact with the road was always the same.

Now, when I was running 285/75/16’s on my old 98 1500 I had years and years ago that only had 16 x 7 stock wheels, that chalk test probably would’ve came in handy but since I didn’t know about it at the time, I just played around with the tire pressure on the back tires just by looking at how much of the tread was touching the road at any given pressure, that’s how I came up with being able to run 35/40 in my front tires but I had to run 26 or 27 psi in my back tires just to make the full width of the tread make contact with the road because those tires I had, weren’t really made for a wheel that was less than 8 inches wide. The chalk test I guess would’ve really helped in saving a lot of time of figuring that out but as far as I’m concerned, the chalk test only works whenever you’re trying to run too wide or too narrow of a tire for your wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
There is one fairly simple way, it is getting a bit more difficult now days.
Go to your tire manufactures web site and find or contact them for the pressure to load data for your tire.
They will have a chart for your tire and the ideal pressure for the weight it is carrying.
With that chart and a scale reading of your trucks axle weight as you are going to use it you can find the tire pressure recommended by the tire manufacture.
Those data charts used to be published and available at the dealers now they seem to hide them at times.

here is a sample;
LT tire inflation.jpg

OP
OP
Ram_d00d

Ram_d00d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There is one fairly simple way, it is getting a bit more difficult now days.
Go to your tire manufactures web site and find or contact them for the pressure to load data for your tire.
They will have a chart for your tire and the ideal pressure for the weight it is carrying.
With that chart and a scale reading of your trucks axle weight as you are going to use it you can find the tire pressure recommended by the tire manufacture.
Those data charts used to be published and available at the dealers now they seem to hide them at times.

here is a sample;
View attachment 238907
This is good

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just mean in general. Trying to promote conversation is all

Yeah I know, its a tough crowd sometimes...

I run my fronts at 40 and the rears at 38. I don't obsess about it, but in general I like 2-3 psi more on the fronts because I rarely haul anything, nor even have passengers in the back seat. I like the ride and handling I get with 40 front & 38 rear.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
39 psi now with Patagonia MT's in 315/70/17 D rated and just because these tires hybrid design in theory are optimized to run better with the AT lugs in the center having more contact with the ground as opposed to other treads were having full contact patch is more desireable. Ran KO2 37x12.5x17 D rated at 30 psi. Ran Falken AT3W 315/70/17 E rated at 35 psi. I prefer the not very scientific chalk test method, have worked for me for years. Don't know how others are doing the chalk test since some say 15 or 45 doesn't make a difference they all seem flat lol. It works in my case and i can distinguish if my tires are laying down flat or if the wear will be a little more towards the center. My tires do wear down evenly and i don't go blaming the tires for sidewall harshness even when running E rated tires. My truck is also 500lbs heavier in the back so i run even psi front and rear. If it was stock i'll run 3-5psi less, but i'd prefer to chalk them and see for msyelf. I measure ALL my tires for wear before i get them rotated so i know if the method and psi values are working or not for me.