Tire P.S.I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Cornballnelius
So, tell me something.... why do you believe in this so much? What does this tell you that it’s obviously and apparently not telling me?

Answer to the first question is simple, its a U.S. federal vehicle safety regulation. These are issued by the NHTSA. The NHTSA falls under the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Second question, I don’t know sir. The material is written in plain English, so I have no idea why you think it’s telling me something different than what it tells you.

Do you really believe that this tire won’t support what is says stamped on the sidewall if it’s all the sudden put on a truck? How?

I do beleive the tire will support the weight stampted on the tire, never disputed that. I simply stated when that particular tire is used in a light truck application FMVSS REGULATIONS set forth by the NHTSA states their load carrying capacity is de-rated by a factor of 1.1 which in the case of the stock Goodyear’s equates to 2,365 lbs. I didn’t make this up, the U.S. D.O.T. did.

And no, I’m not aiming to stir up conflict either but I am highly intrigued to how someone can believe into this.

Again, I’m citing Federal guidelines so I fail to understand why you are so intrigued by the fact I believe this. What is it about federal regulation that you are so adverse to? Just because you and every tire guy you’ve spoken with in your area have never heard of these regulations doesn’t mean they don’t exist and are not pertinent.

I mean what, since you haven’t really addressed anything I’ve said in response to you, are you trying to confuse this with actual load ratings on any given truck? Is that why you’re saying this tire in particular will only hold 2,365 pounds at 39 psi, nothing more, nothing less? What vehicle could I trust with the markings on the tire? Is there any vehicle that this tire will safely support 2,601 pounds at 44psi?

I have directly addressed and responded to your question with written documentation. I am not confused about load ratings on any given truck (I am talking specifically about the tire load ratings). In regards to what vehicle you can trust with the markings on the tire, it depends on the vehicle and the tire. THATS WHY THE LOAD INFLATION TABLES EXISTS. To answer the last question in this section, any car, minivan, or less than full size SUV.

Not going to comment on the pic you sent other than thank you. My buddy Norman who happens to be the manager at a Discount Tire in my area will be relieved to know you’ve confirmed the Discount Tire stores up in your area look just like the ones here in Atlanta.

There are about 7 or 8 of these stores in about a 150 mile radius of me so I guess tomorrow I can call each one of them but I’m almost one hundred percent certain I’ll get the same answer so if I do, are you gonna condemn each place? What about when I first statedtalking to you and said that three well known tire brands told me the same thing “my local tire guy” told me? No comment towards that?

I didn’t tell you to condemn any of them, I suggested you find another tire guy (that may very well be someone else at the same store who’s a little more informed). To your statement about my “no comment on that”: I replied in my previous post citing the load inflation tables from Toyo Tires. They are a very well known national brand so I again question who you’re talking to or getting replies from. I seriously doubt Toyo is held to different regulations than the “three well known tire brands” you referenced above. Toyo is clearly aware of these regulations...........

Look, I’m not trying to be an *******. I’m just trying to understand why you believe into this or if you’re actually sure what it actually means that you’re believing into.

I’m not trying to be an azzhole either. My belief in these regulations is just the same as regulations set forth by the I.R.S. or the D.O.T. I am being very specific and citing federal regulations that are published. I am 100% sure I understand and comprehend what I’ve read.

Maybe some other fellow members will chime in here, this topic has been discussed more than a few times on this forum and more than a few members other than me have referenced the very same information.

So now I’m a cornball because none of this makes sense to me?...wow....lol. Resorting to name calling, huh? Ya really think that’s gonna get you anywhere?

But I don’t know, man. I’ve made my phone calls looking for better explanations but nobody ‘cept this web forum and the links that a few of its members post is the only thing that can tell me anything about this derating by 1.1 stuff but whatever. I realize my truck can only be weighted so much and just because I can air my tires to beyond 39 psi, I’ve never not ever known that that will magically “increase” what my truck can do. The only reason why I said I’d be airing them to their max if I was pulling heavy because max pressure means max capacity- for the tire.

But sorry about the extreme facetiousness with that photo but uh, again, you said it, not me. I don’t consider Discount Tire as just a mediocre tire shop like you hinted at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do the 10% rule. My current tire reads 44 psi max. I fill to 36-38. Run it. If they hit 40 while hot, I let a little out. 39 hot is my number. This is empty of course. Yes, I check psi every Saturday morning along with checking with a torque wrench. Nick

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do the 10% rule. My current tire reads 44 psi max. I fill to 36-38. Run it. If they hit 40 while hot, I let a little out. 39 hot is my number. This is empty of course. Yes, I check psi every Saturday morning along with checking with a torque wrench. Nick

Again, why? How is inflating your tires to what the placard on the inside of your door jam says is following that 10% rule? Why does the 10% rule- whatever the hell it means, even have to do with anything?

But I’m curious; you do realize that as long as you inflate your tires to whatever you want to air them up to when they’re cold, that doesn’t matter if when they get hot, they go above a certain pressure, even if they go over your maximum pressure based on where are you set them at when they were cold? Says it right there on the tire, 44psi COLD… not hot.

Maybe not so much here lately because it is still winter time for a lot of people but in the summertime when it’s going to get hot, has there ever been a time where you had to put more air back in whatever tire that you’ve purposely taken some out just because the tire pressure got above 40 when it was hot? I would be very hard pressed to believe that you don’t have to because that’s essentially what you’re doing is if you’re taking pressure out of your tire when they get to a certain pressure when they’re hot, you would have to add that air back in there once the tire is completely cooled off because your cold pressure is going to be less now.

Which, BTW, is actually pretty dangerous and ya might wanna think about ditching that habit because your tires would be much better at 40psi hot than whatever you let them down to because now, you are considered to have a low tire which means more friction heat build-up that could lead to tire failure. Just food for thought.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So now I’m a cornball because none of this makes sense to me?...wow....lol. Resorting to name calling, huh? Ya really think that’s gonna get you anywhere?

But I don’t know, man. I’ve made my phone calls looking for better explanations but nobody ‘cept this web forum and the links that a few of its members post is the only thing that can tell me anything about this derating by 1.1 stuff but whatever. I realize my truck can only be weighted so much and just because I can air my tires to beyond 39 psi, I’ve never not ever known that that will magically “increase” what my truck can do. The only reason why I said I’d be airing them to their max if I was pulling heavy because max pressure means max capacity- for the tire.

But sorry about the extreme facetiousness with that photo but uh, again, you said it, not me. I don’t consider Discount Tire as just a mediocre tire shop like you hinted at.

I didn’t call you any name sir. Secondly, I did not hint that Discount Tire is a mediocre tire shop, those are YOUR words. I’ve shopped at Discount Tire, my buddy is the manger at a Discount Tire, and I continue to do business at Discount Tire. Not everyone that works at Discount Tire is a tire expert, that doesn’t mean the company is mediocre.

Since your gonna call you tire guys today ask them this straight forward question: What is the correct psi for a LT285/70/17 load range E tire to support 2,510 lbs in a single tire configuration? If they can answer that question, ask them how they determined that and if they’d be willing to share this information with you.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Cornballnelius

Copied directly from YOUR post (#23)

Well, if you call up GoodYear, Michelin andtoyo like I did a while back, they’ll all arguewith you and tell you that for like the SRA’s for example, if they’re stamped at 2,601 pounds at 44 psi, they will safely support 2,601 pounds at that pressure, period.

The information I’ve shared is from Toyo..............

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn’t call you any name sir.
Ok, my mistake then because as it turns out, there just so happens to be a member on here who goes by that handle so I do apologize for assuming that you were disguising name-calling within my handle when you posted this below which is at the top your post:

Originally posted by 6.7CumminsDrvr:

@Cornballnelius
So, tell me something.... why do you believe in this so much? What does this tell you that it’s obviously and apparently not telling me

Secondly, I did not hint that Discount Tire is a mediocre tire shop, those are YOUR words. I’ve shopped at Discount Tire, my buddy is the manger at a Discount Tire, and I continue to do business at Discount Tire. Not everyone that works at Discount Tire is a tire expert, that doesn’t mean the company is mediocre.

No, you didn’t necessarily say the words but you might as well have because it appears to me that you just assumed I talked to some ole random small town tire shop and it wasn’t. It was a well-known tire business but because you don’t agree with what the technician told me, it’s like you’re trying to only discredit the guy but not the company he works for… LOL.

Since your gonna call you tire guys today ask them this straight forward question: What is the correct psi for a LT285/70/17 load range E tire to support 2,510 lbs in a single tire configuration? If they can answer that question, ask them how they determined that and if they’d be willing to share this information with you.

I said I might, but at least up until this point, I probably wasn’t going to even bother with it simply because what difference does it make? Number one, I’ve already had one tire shop and three tire manufacturers tell me all the same thing and number two, since I’m not looking at that max weight at max pressure on my tires as an excuse to load the back of my truck up to 5200 pounds, I really don’t care about this 10% reduction crap because it doesn’t apply to me but now you’ve got me all intrigued because now instead of talking about the P-rated Goodyear SRA’s or any other P-rated tire, you’re all the sudden talking about a heavy duty light truck LT 285/70-17 tire. lol. What does that have to do with anything? But since you brought a whole different tire up and based on the answer you give me If you decide to answer it, then maybe I’ll make a few phone calls today.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Again, I am NOT this user so quit tagging this person. My handle is corneileous.

Originally posted by 6.7CumminsDrvr:

Copied directly from YOUR post (#23)

...like I did a while back, they’ll all arguewith you and tell you that for like the SRA’s for example, if they’re stamped at 2,601 pounds at 44 psi, they will safely support 2,601 pounds at that pressure, period.

The information I’ve shared is from Toyo..............

Yes, I did post that because that’s what it says ON THE TIRE. It doesn’t say a thing about whatever vehicle it’s mounted to but now that I just saw this other part since you like dabbling in colored text rather than using quotes, I know you got that from Toyo’s website but I believe it was a Toyo tire tech I talked to who told me pretty much the same thing GoodYear and Michelin told me but who knows, maybe the third company I talked to was Cooper, I don’t know. This was early last summer when I called these people so excuse me if my memory is a little fuzzy as to who all I talked to.

Last edited:

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Other than doing it again and using somebody else’s username, what exactly are you trying to tell me here?

The username is an honest mistake, my apologies (fat fingered the selections that popped up when typing out usernames). Post #23 was made by you and I am referencing your own statement indicating that the manufactures would argue with me about my statement. You listed Toyo as one of those manufactures, the materials I’ve referenced are from Toyo. Is your stance Toyo is going to argue with me about material they themselves made available?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The username is an honest mistake, my apologies (fat fingered the selections that popped up when typing out usernames). Post #23 was made by you and I am referencing your own statement indicating that the manufactures would argue with me about my statement. You listed Toyo as one of those manufactures, the materials I’ve referenced are from Toyo. Is your stance Toyo is going to argue with me about material they themselves made available?

I just got done editing that post concerning that and while you were typing this one above, I corrected the other one so moving on- like I said, maybe it was toyo, maybe it wasn’t but you know, a quick call to them will straighten it right up.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@6.7CumminsDrvr... and whoever else believes this way....

Well, just for everybody’s benefit, I just got off the phone with Toyo tires and after talking to the nice lady, it all came back to me that yes, Toyo was in fact one of the manufactures I did talk to last summer when she started telling me that the page that you and everybody else is talking about on Toyo’s website..... this 10% derate stuff only applies for whenever you put a light truck tire in place of a P-rated tire on a pickup that no… and I’ll say it again, HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MAGICALLY LIMITING our stock SRA’s or any other P-rated tire like my Michelin’s load-handling capacity just because they are on a truck.

The only thing she said was that if you continue running your factory tires on these trucks, or any other P-rated tire that is matched to what originally comes on these trucks, that by running the pressure up to 44 psi is not going to make the tire any more stable, or less rolling resistant because when Ram puts on that sticker to inflate our tires to 39 psi, she said that pressure covers every aspect of how the truck is gone going to be used, no matter if it’s just us by ourselves with nothing in the bed or no nothing hooked to the trailer hitch, or if we have a full cab of people, bunch of stuff in the bed and a heavy trailer hooked to it, that the 39 pounds of pressure that ram recommends covers ALL OF THAT.

She also said that at 39 psi the stock SRA’s will support 2,601 pounds but I don’t know how she came up with that because it says right there on the tire that it has to be inflated to 44 psi in order to hold that weight, not 39 but I think all she was trying to do was say that inflating these tires higher than 39 pounds of pressure does no difference which conflicts with what the other two tire manufacturers I talked to said which was that if it says the tire will hold a certain amount of weight at a certain pressure thats stamped on the sidewall then they will support that weight at that pressure.

As far as whether or not increasing the pressure to 44 psi won’t be better off for the tires under a real heavy load, I don’t know if I necessarily agree with that but according to her, it’s not necessary which, I never was arguing that. I just always thought that it would be better for the tires but apparently it’s not.

So hopefully this clears this up.

Last edited:

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Corneileous, after the Firestone/Explorer fiasco a few years back, I could care less what the vehicle placard states. I go by the tire. There are a number of tires out there that are the same size but have different max pressures. I had one car that I could get three different manufacturers one was 36 psi max, one 44 psi, and one was 55 psi. I go by the 10 rule because it works for me and the original question is what PSI do you run? I have been stationed in areas where I could be on the beach in the morning and on the slopes that evening. It also gives me the best ride and wear. Nick

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FWIW, I was told by a reputable tire guy to fill the tires with the recommended psi on the door sticker for normal driving. If you'll be hauling or towing heavy loads, fill them to the max pressure on the sidewall.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Corneileous, after the Firestone/Explorer fiasco a few years back, I could care less what the vehicle placard states. I go by the tire. There are a number of tires out there that are the same size but have different max pressures. I had one car that I could get three different manufacturers one was 36 psi max, one 44 psi, and one was 55 psi. I go by the 10 rule because it works for me and the original question is what PSI do you run? I have been stationed in areas where I could be on the beach in the morning and on the slopes that evening. It also gives me the best ride and wear. Nick

First and foremost, they’re your tires so you do whatever you want. I could care less I don’t think anybody else does either but the point of the matter is, that 10% rule only applies to whenever you’re putting light truck tires in place of a P-rated tire and if you’re using the same size tires that originally came on your car or truck, you’re advised to use the pressure that is written on that sticker and I’m sorry but the Ford Explorer/firestone fiasco doesn’t have anything to do with it because that was years and years and years ago. A lot has changed since then but they’re all gonna tell you the same thing. The only thing that would change is that well, when you said there was three different tires of the same size for whatever car it is you’re talking about that had three different maximum pressures, that only tells me that those three tires weren’t the same, that they were all the different load ratings because of the pressures which at that point, I believe you’re better off doing what I did back when I had those 275/60-20 8-ply BFG all-terrain’s and call the manufacturer to tell them what vehicle you have and then let them tell you what pressure they need to be at but again, whatever works for you obviously works for you so I’m not gonna tell you what you should do with your tires.

I run my Michelin Defender LTX’s at 39 psi. Why? Because for one, they’re pretty much the same tire but better in so many ways than the stock SRA’s and two, because both the sticker that’s on my door jamb and Michelin told me to run those tires at that pressure.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW, I was told by a reputable tire guy to fill the tires with the recommended psi on the door sticker for normal driving. If you'll be hauling or towing heavy loads, fill them to the max pressure on the sidewall.

I still feel the same way but as I said in a previous post, I was advised against that because other than that specific pressure supposedly covering all aspects of how the truck will be used, that lady from Toyo said that even under a heavy load, anything over 39 pounds of pressure is going to put an uneven load across the entire width of your tire tread, stating that you’ll still be applying a lot more pressure on the very center of the tread and not so much on the edges of the tread as opposed to running 39 which somehow still exerts the same, equal amount of pressure across the whole tire tread, even under load so go figure. Lol.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Straight from TireRack :

LOAD REDUCTION OF EURO- & P-METRIC TIRES ON LIGHT TRUCKS
(Lea en español)

When it comes to selecting replacement tires for a van, pickup truck, crossover and SUV, the most important consideration is to maintain sufficient load carrying capacity.

Three tire-sizing systems are used on the Original Equipment (O.E.) tires fitted to today's light trucks, Euro-metric, P-metric ("passenger" metric) and LT-metric ("light truck" metric). Many 1/4-ton and 1/2-ton vehicles use Euro-metric and P-metric sized tires, while 3/4-ton and 1-ton vehicles use LT-metric sized tires.

Euro-metric and P-metric tire sizes were originally designed for cars and station wagons; however, they have also been used for light truck applications because most vans, pickup trucks, crossovers and SUVs are used to carry passengers, not cargo. Additionally, most of the new light trucks being produced today are equipped with Euro- or P-metric sized tires because they offer lighter weight, lower rolling resistance and less aggressive tread designs (which makes them better riding, more fuel efficient and less noisy) than typical heavy-duty tires.

However, there is an idiosyncrasy governing the use of Euro-metric and P-metric sized tires on vans, pickup trucks, crossovers and SUVs because these vehicles have a higher center of gravity and greater probability of being overloaded than passenger cars. In order to accommodate this, vehicle engineers are required to specify Euro- or P-metric sized tires rated to carry 10% more weight than would be required if they were used on a passenger car. This is the equivalent of taking the tire's load capacity branded on its sidewall and dividing it by 1.1. For example, a Euro- or P-metric tire designated to carry 2,000 pounds on a car is restricted to carrying 1,818 pounds when used on a van, pickup truck, crossover and SUV. This size selection practice provides the vehicle manufacturer with the appropriate tire load capacity.

hers’s the link:
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=70

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let’s touch on your point questioning the lady you spoke with at Toyo. She’s referencing the load inflation table:

FD5ABAC1-A3BB-419A-A596-4F5702E9B573.jpeg

the stock Goodyear’s reach a max capacity of 2,601 lbs @ 35 psi. The tire has the capacity to be aired up to a max of 44 psi but from 35 psi to 44 psi the load capacity does not increase.

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Corneileous, take a laxative dude. I answered a question. Then you asked me two questions. I answered those. If you don't like my answers, move on and get on get off your hi horse, you ain't no body special. Nick

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Corneileous, take a laxative dude. I answered a question. Then you asked me two questions. I answered those. If you don't like my answers, move on and get on get off your hi horse, you ain't no body special. Nick

Take a laxative??....lol. Kinda sounds to me like you need to be told to take that laxative, get off your high horse and that you ain’t nobody special because there was not a damn thing I said to you that warranted such a response. Just because I told you I didn’t care what you did with your tires did not mean anything derogatory, I was just stating I’m not trying to change what you do. I’m not trying to change what anybody does so if you took that the wrong way then that’s your problem, bud. But it sure does sound like you got a lot more of a problem with what I said than what you’re assuming I have what you said.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Let’s touch on your point questioning the lady you spoke with at Toyo. She’s referencing the load inflation table:

View attachment 239693

the stock Goodyear’s reach a max capacity of 2,601 lbs @ 35 psi. The tire has the capacity to be aired up to a max of 44 psi but from 35 psi to 44 psi the load capacity does not increase.

Thats where I was getting confused. Max load is at 35 psi, then why have them run at 40? Just confusing myself is all.....lol.

Got rid of the sr-a's when they were done, and went with the Cooper Discoverer A/T's.

I got really good life from the Goodyears, just always seemed slippy to me.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Straight from TireRack :

LOAD REDUCTION OF EURO- & P-METRIC TIRES ON LIGHT TRUCKS
(Lea en español)

When it comes to selecting replacement tires for a van, pickup truck, crossover and SUV, the most important consideration is to maintain sufficient load carrying capacity.

Three tire-sizing systems are used on the Original Equipment (O.E.) tires fitted to today's light trucks, Euro-metric, P-metric ("passenger" metric) and LT-metric ("light truck" metric). Many 1/4-ton and 1/2-ton vehicles use Euro-metric and P-metric sized tires, while 3/4-ton and 1-ton vehicles use LT-metric sized tires.

Euro-metric and P-metric tire sizes were originally designed for cars and station wagons; however, they have also been used for light truck applications because most vans, pickup trucks, crossovers and SUVs are used to carry passengers, not cargo. Additionally, most of the new light trucks being produced today are equipped with Euro- or P-metric sized tires because they offer lighter weight, lower rolling resistance and less aggressive tread designs (which makes them better riding, more fuel efficient and less noisy) than typical heavy-duty tires.

However, there is an idiosyncrasy governing the use of Euro-metric and P-metric sized tires on vans, pickup trucks, crossovers and SUVs because these vehicles have a higher center of gravity and greater probability of being overloaded than passenger cars. In order to accommodate this, vehicle engineers are required to specify Euro- or P-metric sized tires rated to carry 10% more weight than would be required if they were used on a passenger car. This is the equivalent of taking the tire's load capacity branded on its sidewall and dividing it by 1.1. For example, a Euro- or P-metric tire designated to carry 2,000 pounds on a car is restricted to carrying 1,818 pounds when used on a van, pickup truck, crossover and SUV. This size selection practice provides the vehicle manufacturer with the appropriate tire load capacity.

hers’s the link:
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=70

So instead of just looking like you’re now resorting to using a whole n’other website to argue with the other one, or a last ditch effort to prove the point of that other one, what is your stance on what I told you about how this 10% thing only applies to light truck tires replacing P-rated tires? Or do you have nothing to say about it?

But who knows, maybe all that stuff up there that you grabbed from tire rack‘s website is pretty much what she was telling me when she said that increasing my tires pressure up to 44 pounds of pressure is not gonna do anything, she just didn’t go into that great of detail of what you posted above which, I don’t even know why you even posted that because I’ve already told you that I have no plans to overload my truck even if both Goodyear and Michelin would probably still tell you that they don’t care what their tires are on, that if it says X amount of weight (((AT))) X amount of pressure, then that’s what that tire will support at that pressure.

But one thing I question about all that you posted, It’s awful funny how it talks about actual passenger cars and such. Well even though I kind of see where they’re coming from, you don’t see a whole lot of 275/60/20 tires mounted to a whole lot of small cars and small SUVs so, why would that lead anybody to believe that’s the same passenger rated tires they use on trucks and large SUVs, would even be in the same ballpark of tires they use on Honda civics, dodge Durango‘s and Nissan pathfinder’s? Besides that, since it’s already been duly noted that the passenger rated tires that come on our trucks are well enough equipped to handle everything that you could legally toss at that pickup so, why does it even matter anymore that the stuff you got the tire racks website goes against what the sidewalls of my original tires said?