Tire pressure alarm, switch to PSI from metric?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
2019 2500 Tradesman 6.4L 4X4
Two things..
a) My tire pressure low warning came on the other day for the left rear tire. I had set them all at 45psi. I brought them all up to 50 psi. Left rear still shows low and alarms. Ended up bringing it up to 75 psi before it would stop alarming. the other three tires are still at 50psi. It reads 4.8 metric whatever that means, I use an ordinary TP gauge to read the actual value. I like to run the lower pressure because I don't often have a load in the truck, and I was finding the recommended pressure was wearing out the centre tread of the tires (still factory what-ever-they-are). Is there a way to reset this sensor or whatever reads it to something lower like maybe 40psi?

b) Is there a way to switch the display readout to show PSI instead of metric? At least that would make it functional, at least to me.

-C.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Yes you can switch it. Settings, units select psi. Owners manuals are a great tool for answering these questions.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The last time I adjusted my settings between Metric and Imperial, AFAIR, the adjustment switches everything at once.

To get psi, that comes with miles/mph instead of kilometres/kph.

I'm not sure what this 4.8 reference is all about. Where I live, we use Metric and I'm stuck with kPa for tire pressures.

I keep a small table of conversions from kPa to psi in the console.
301 kPa = 43.6 psi

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The last time I adjusted my settings between Metric and Imperial, AFAIR, the adjustment switches everything at once.

To get psi, that comes with miles/mph instead of kilometres/kph.

I'm not sure what this 4.8 reference is all about. Where I live, we use Metric and I'm stuck with kPa for tire pressures.

I keep a small table of conversions from kPa to psi in the console.
301 kPa = 43.6 psi

Depends on the model. Mine I can individually select and set psi or kpa for pressure, mph or kph for speed, f or c for temp and miles per gallon for mileage even using kph for speed. There is a custom screen on my Laramie 2500 that allows me to individually select and mix the various measures.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on the model. Mine I can individually select and set psi or kpa for pressure, mph or kph for speed, f or c for temp and miles per gallon for mileage even using kph for speed. There is a custom screen on my Laramie 2500 that allows me to individually select and mix the various measures.

I had that impression from reading posts online. I suppose $70K CDN is still considered inexpensive for a truck. :-/

I reviewed every setting I could find on my truck and apparently I have Metric or Imperial. I wonder if AlphaOBD might provide better flexibility.

Snapper 60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hey mate it's not metric, it's BAR Imperial.
Like 1 BAR is 14 PSI so 4.8 x 14 = 69.6 PSI you want about 3.6 Bar which is 52 psi approx.
What you'll find is that you can set them pressure lower than recommended however once it drops below a preset threshold, you need to inflate to the rated level start the truck and clear the warning lights before lowering to your desired pressure.

Hope this helps have a good one.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey mate it's not metric, it's BAR Imperial.
Like 1 BAR is 14 PSI so 4.8 x 14 = 69.6 PSI you want about 3.6 Bar which is 52 psi approx.
What you'll find is that you can set them pressure lower than recommended however once it drops below a preset threshold, you need to inflate to the rated level start the truck and clear the warning lights before lowering to your desired pressure.

Hope this helps have a good one.

Bar would make more sense to me than kPa. I have learned about Bar, the Metric unit of pressure, in scuba training and Physics classes.

In what world is Bar an Imperial unit of measure? LOL

In the settings on my truck, I have Metric or Imperial, one adjustment changes everything.

Canada uses Metric for most measurements and all automotive related is strictly Metric. When my truck is configured for Metric, the tire pressures are in kPa.

When I cross the border into the US, I reset to Imperial for mph and then I have psi for tire pressures.

Most scuba gear in Noth America was designed in the USA, and most of my older scuba gear is built in the USA, at least the tanks and pressure guages, all are in psi.

I understand that higher trim models of Ram allows mix and match, meaning I can use Kph for speed and psi for tire pressures.

I take it that you get Bar in Oz. Do the Ram trucks in Oz use Bar when configured to Imperial? :oops:

Last edited: