Tire pressure! You make the call.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I prefer to run them a bit on the hard side for all my vehicles. Somewhere between the door sticker and the tire sidewall. I think the handling is a bit crisper, and a little less wallowing.

Also, I think I get a little better sidewall and rim protection from potholes. I know off road is different.

The stock tires on my '17 BigHorn are at 40 - 41.

I wonder how they came up with that number on the sticker in the first place? I’m assuming it’s based off normal curb weight and what the truck will weigh when it’s fully loaded and/or maxed out tongue weight from a loader trailer? I’m just curious because the very same brand/type/ply and load range tires that was on my 08 1500, the recommended pressure was 35, not 39 like it is on my 18.

Does running yours at 41 decrease your ride at all, make the back end a little squirrelly? They still wearing good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tbone63

Fast & Furious ish
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Higher pressure = less resistance = better mileage = happy tree huggers = EPA = Government Overreach = unhappy citizens = crooked politcians = nothing is ever going to change for the better

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Only driven the truck for 7 - 8000 miles since I bought it, so it's hard to tell much about wear. Seem to be fine. Been doing this for years with all my vehicles, never seemed to effect tire wear in a negative way. Probably rides a bit stiffer, but I can't say its a big difference. I would rather the ride be a bit more stiff, compared to feeling uncontrolled and soft, but that is personal preference.

My guess is that there where a number of changes (small maybe) in the suspension, and probably in the tires between 2008 and 2017 that would drive them to change the recommendations a bit.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
It’s pretty simple ... The door jamb doesn’t mean anything unless you’re still rollin on stockers ... Beyond that, you go by the aftermarket tire manufacturer’s recommendation ... They all have websites, and there is the info on the tire sidewall, and the chalk test to verify ... Pretty simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but that is the problem. I am running the oem tires that are marked for 51# max pressure and the doorjamb sticker suggests to run 32# pressure. seems way low to me.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
but that is the problem. I am running the oem tires that are marked for 51# max pressure and the doorjamb sticker suggests to run 32# pressure. seems way low to me.

OK ... 51 is the max ... 32 is a normal pressure for a passenger tire if you are not hauling or towing ... What does the manufacturer’s website say ? Obviously you can safely run between 32 and 51, depending on what you typically do with the truck ... There is also the “butt gauge” ... What feels good to YOU ?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

What size are your OEM tires? I have no idea about anything other, but if they are the stock 20” size Goodyear SRA’s, max pressure isn’t 51psi. Should be 44 psi. And also the sticker on your door jam says to run them at 32?

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Running tires at 32 is an old standard, from the days when everything had 14 or 15 inch tires, mostly all standard width. Think like sizes of 14 G78, going back to when radials were first introduced.

Now, there are lots of rim sizes, diameter and width, wider, low profile tires, many choices. The lower profile tires (more width compared to the height) need more pressure in general.

When you get to trucks, especially HD trucks, the pressures are much higher, because the tires are constructed differently, and there is more weight involved.

As said above, the door sticker is a good place to start with OEM tires, once you get away from those, you need to consider the recommendation of the tire manufacturer, what the truck is used for, and ride preferences.

If you don't want to think much about all of this, just stick with the OEM size and style, and follow the door sticker recommendation, you will be fine.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
What size are your OEM tires? I have no idea about anything other, but if they are the stock 20” size Goodyear SRA’s, max pressure isn’t 51psi. Should be 44 psi. And also the sticker on your door jam says to run them at 32?

mine came with the 20" 275/55 R20 falkens. they are marked 51# on the sidewall and inflate to 32# on the doorjamb sticker. they are the stock tires for the off-road pkg.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK… So I tried to do research on this. But doing a search for “what tire pressure should I use“ is in the realm of “what oil should I use“ it seems. But I haven’t been able to find an answer to this particular question.

So, assuming that everybody agrees to use the tire pressure stated on the sticker in the door jam for a truck with stock tires, What about in my case? My 2010 Sport came stock with the 20 inch Goodyear SR-A (P265/60/20). Tire pressure on the door jam 35 PSI. But in my case, I replaced them with OEM 17 inch Toyo Open Country 2 from a Rebel. ( LT285/70/17 ) Sticker on the door jam for that truck stated 55psi front, 45 psi rear.

Both trucks weigh about the same. Since the difference between the Sport and the Rebel, other than the air suspension on the Rebel, is more or less just an appearance package, what psi would you go with? Everything in question here are OEM parts.
4o pounds for the new, and old, tires on 17 and 20 inch rims. That is the best all around pressure to use for wear and ride. Have done lots of asking around and study and found most folks prefer that pressure. good luck.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine came with the 20" 275/55 R20 falkens. they are marked 51# on the sidewall and inflate to 32# on the doorjamb sticker. they are the stock tires for the off-road pkg.

What truck do you have? It’s funny they would put a shorter tire both in overall diameter and section width on a truck with an off-road package.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
What truck do you have? It’s funny they would put a shorter tire both in overall diameter and section width on a truck with an off-road package.

2019 ram 1500 4x4 ccsb laramie. according to the mfr. website they are the standard tires for the ORP

Norman Roach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK… So I tried to do research on this. But doing a search for “what tire pressure should I use“ is in the realm of “what oil should I use“ it seems. But I haven’t been able to find an answer to this particular question.

So, assuming that everybody agrees to use the tire pressure stated on the sticker in the door jam for a truck with stock tires, What about in my case? My 2010 Sport came stock with the 20 inch Goodyear SR-A (P265/60/20). Tire pressure on the door jam 35 PSI. But in my case, I replaced them with OEM 17 inch Toyo Open Country 2 from a Rebel. ( LT285/70/17 ) Sticker on the door jam for that truck stated 55psi front, 45 psi rear.

Both trucks weigh about the same. Since the difference between the Sport and the Rebel, other than the air suspension on the Rebel, is more or less just an appearance package, what psi would you go with? Everything in question here are OEM parts.

Hi:
My truck is a sport. The original tires were 4 ply P tires that you can not buy. Mine were worn out to the ware bars at 48,000 km. As they wore I increased the pressure to 45 psi for 20 inch 60 series. At that pressure they wore evenly across the tire. I put 8 ply tires on from BF Goodridge and I have the pressure set at 45 psi and they are wareing evenly. If you pull a trailer you should increase the pressure to maybe 50 psi if the tire allows that.
Norm

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I run my cooper 265-20 inch at 35psi as recommended and I see even tire wear-whats with you guys putting I 45psi and even higher?

gto64gto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess you could say I'm an old timer. Over a lot of years and trucks and cars, I have found that most of the time with cars, the recommended pressure was correct, but not always. With trucks,(I hardly ever hall weight and only a little bulk) I have never had one that the recommended pressure for my driving was correct. It was always too high and I would wear my tires out in the middle because of too much pressure. I change my tires ever 5000 miles. I bought a thread depth gauge (I've had it over 40 years) and just check the ware on each tire in 3 different places . It will tell you if you're running too much or too little pressure and just adjust accordingly. You will be surprised how many more miles your tires will last

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn’t read all this and it may have been said. Here’s what I do. I ait them up 5psi over door stick and put a white line of shoe polish or concrete chalk across the tread. Take a ride and start lowering psi and reapplying the line till I get it to wear off evenly then go up 2psi account for tire flex.

mhud59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I run my oneyears at 40psi all the way around. They are the Goodyear SR-A that come on them new. I think my door sticker says 39 psi but 40 is easier to hit on my gauge. 2016 1500 Bighorn crew cab.

Norman Roach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run my cooper 265-20 inch at 35psi as recommended and I see even tire wear-whats with you guys putting I 45psi and even higher?
Every truck is going to be different based on tire manufacture (rubber compound), the weight on the wheels and weather your tires are 75, 70 or 60 series tires as well as 17, 18 or 20 inch rims on your truck. I have a lear cap on my truck that weights about 400 lbs, a tool box with jack and 3 hitches probably another 100 lbs. the book says my truck is 5300 lbs and 39 psi all tires. I had it weighed and it was 6300 lbs, full of gas and me in it. The best way is to check your tire ware and adjust the pressure so the tires wears evenly. I have been driving this truck for 4 1/2 years. There is no pressure fits all. The back tires will wear a bit more due to wheel spinage a little too much throttle or the road is wet the wheels will spin. Check the tire ware avery 5K and rotate them every 10K. Also when you get your truck serviced they will set your tire pressures to what is marked on the door!!!

fire101fighter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck, a ‘10 1500 bighorn, on the door says 35psi with 275/60/20s. After I bought a set of ‘15 rims with Toyo AT2s at 275/65/20 I emailed Toyo and they recommended 43psi. I’ve aired them up to that and they ride great. Granted it’s a 10ply tire but the all wear even

Bre Rue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I have a bit of a situation I haven't seen anyone else have in this thread. I was swapping my winter wheels for the summer ones and was cleaning them up prior to installation when I noticed the tire cold max is 44 psi and my truck sticker says to inflate to 45/55! I have a 2015 Ram Rebel with factory upgraded Ram 20" wheels with some Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's that came on them. I contacted Goodyear and they said to just go off of what is on the truck sticker, even though it's 11 psi over their suggested max... Unfortunately the truck sticker is for the regular 17" that the truck would have rolled off the line with, not the dealer upgraded 20's. When I have taken the truck in to get it serviced at the dealer the techs have always aired them to what the sticker says so I've never thought about it. The max psi rating stamped on the sidewall is tiny so one wouldn't notice it until you looked for it or looked at the tires really close. Something to note is that I do see a little variation in the sidewalls of the tires. It's kind of a ripple looking area here and there. Anyone getting nervous about running these tires like I am?
I'm going to go do a chalk test so I can figure out the optimal pressure overall, soon, as we'll have dry weather in a while... Right?!
I just figured I'd run this by others and see what experiences some may have had.

Thanks!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Unless you wanted the dealer 20" rim "upgrade" you got ripped off with the SRA tires and not getting the Rebel rims, but that's just IMO
I'm a bit surprised that Goodyear would state to inflate a tire over the max cold inflation pressure. Tires heat up while driving and it's not uncommon for the pressure to rise about 5 psi above what the pressure is cold. That added pressure expansion is alotted for in the safety factor of the tire, not a gross over inflation of the tire.
I wouldn't run the door sticker pressure as factory Rebel tires are Toyo Load Range E tires that have a max cold inflation pressure of 80psi.
Do the chalk test but I'm guessing you'll probably be close to what the max cold inflation pressure is. If I'm not mistaken, that's about what a truck that came with the rim/tires you have now would be printed on the door sticker.