Tire Pressures make no sense to me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Hi All,

I have a 2500 Outdoorsman with the CTD, and the tire pressures on the door frame don't make sense to me.

Front tire pressure is supposed to be 60 psi.

The rear tires are supposed to be much higher, 80 psi.

I can understand lower pressure on the rear, as there is less weight there, not higher. With a fully loaded box, the tires would need more pressure, seems to me.

The engine weight is huge, so there is more weight on the front axles, and 99% of the time I am driving with no load in the box. I will be towing a RV trailer a few times a year only..

What are normal pressures? I have the Michelin Defender factory sized tires, nothing special..

Thanks

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
they have to put rear pressures rated for the maximum payload. I agree they should have have a loaded and an empty recommendation. Toyo has a good chart for actual psi needed for various tire load capacities.

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Used to be vehicle tire pressures were given for both ‘normal’ and ‘max payload.’ I’d usually run pressures half way between.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hi All,

I have a 2500 Outdoorsman with the CTD, and the tire pressures on the door frame don't make sense to me.

I can understand lower pressure on the rear, as there is less weight there, not higher. With a fully loaded box, the tires would need more pressure, seems to me.

The engine weight is huge, so there is more weight on the front axles, and 99% of the time I am driving with no load in the box. I will be towing a RV trailer a few times a year only..

What are normal pressures? I have the Michelin Defender factory sized tires, nothing special..

Thanks
Your "LT" rated tires have stiff sidewalls. The 80lb. psi for the rear tires is for max. towing. You can lower your rears to 60lb. psi, even lower and run them safely that way. Your ride will be much smoother. Just remember when towing, adjust the air for the additional weight.

I have a 2013 CTD 2500 and it came with a button to override the "Low Tire Pressure" light. I could run my tires at a lower psi for a smoother ride and not have to see the warning light in the dash.

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Thank you all for your help!

According to the chart supplied by "retired" at 60 psi ( the recommended front tire pressure ) a Toyo Tires has a 3020 lb load limit. At 80 psi the load limit is 3640 per tire.

I will definitely lower the rear pressure to 60 psi and monitor the tire wear.

Even with my RV trailer attached I will not approach the rear tire load limit at 60 psi.

I may look up the chart for my Michelin tires, or may not, or I may simply contact my local Michelin dealer and see if he can make a recommendation too.

Thanks all, I basically consider this thread closed..

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Ha Ha, one more thing, I phoned a Tire Shop. They recommended following the Factory pressures.

No doubt they can't take a chance on suggesting something else, or, if I had an accident they could be held liable. Just mentioning, they also said lots of their customers run 60 psi on the rear.. but that was a customer decision..

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 17" E-load Michelin Defender actually had a pretty soft sidewall.
On my 1500, I ran anywhere from 45-75 psi without much change. Slightly harder ride over 65-70 but surprisingly not as much as I expected.
I usually kept them at 55-60 psi for the most part. Seemed a nice spot for ride and handling.

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
My 17" E-load Michelin Defender actually had a pretty soft sidewall.
On my 1500, I ran anywhere from 45-75 psi without much change. Slightly harder ride over 65-70 but surprisingly not as much as I expected.
I usually kept them at 55-60 psi for the most part. Seemed a nice spot for ride and handling.
I have the 18" E rated Defender, I think the ride is pretty good too. The 2500 has coils, I hear that rides better.. not a total comparison, but still

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Your "LT" rated tires have stiff sidewalls. The 80lb. psi for the rear tires is for max. towing. You can lower your rears to 60lb. psi, even lower and run them safely that way. Your ride will be much smoother. Just remember when towing, adjust the air for the additional weight.

I have a 2013 CTD 2500 and it came with a button to override the "Low Tire Pressure" light. I could run my tires at a lower psi for a smoother ride and not have to see the warning light in the dash.

My 2013 RAM 2500 Tradesman CC SB 4x4 CTD stated 80 PSI on the door sticker for front tires I thought.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I have the 18" E rated Defender, I think the ride is pretty good too. The 2500 has coils, I hear that rides better.. not a total comparison, but still
2500s after 2014. Or perhaps the upper trim levels did. My 2013 RAM 2500 CC SB CTD 4x4 had leaf springs.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi All,

Thanks
Contact the tire manufacturer, I’ve known a couple of people who have been successful going that route, they make the tire so oughtta know what pressures they designed them to run.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I personally run 55psi front and 60psi rear in my 2500 CTD when not towing. I rides pretty good there.
You will have to experiment and see what feels good to you without going too low.
Too high and you just suffer with a harsh ride and wear out your tires in the center crown.