Tire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always look at the Brands I like, Cooper, Bridgestone, Mickey Thompson, **** Cepek, Good Year etc...,then I think about tread wear, snow, rain, looks and price. Then I throw a quarter in the air and when it comes down if I don’t like it I throw it up in the air again, lol.
And I personally love a tire hum on the road.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I always look at the Brands I like, Cooper, Bridgestone, Mickey Thompson, **** Cepek, Good Year etc...,then I think about tread wear, snow, rain, looks and price. Then I throw a quarter in the air and when it comes down if I don’t like it I throw it up in the air again, lol.
And I personally love a tire hum on the road.

Same here haha !!!

I don't cheap out when it comes to tires ever .... I rather spend an extra couple hundred or so and get something I really want and like than to get something that I am going to question later on and regret ...

MickeyGreene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can only say this so far as best tires for you and your vehicle, that’s as subjective as to what’s the best beer, best chips, best frozen pizza etc....I’ve had so many brands on so many different vehicles and I can only think that some of the best performing tires on whichever vehicle they were on were the ones the did what I wanted them to do. If I wanted a completely aggressive Mud tire it was the Trxus MT radial and it was good in the slush and snow. On my Olds 442 with well over 500hp to the wheels it was Cooper GT Radials. On my 14 Grand Cherokee I run Hankook A/T’s which are really good in all conditions. Draw your own conclusions from your own experience as we all want different things from out tires and drive our vehicles differently from each other.

Major detail left out of this post...what year is the 442?! Haha, curious minds want to know!!

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Looking to replace the tires on my 2019 classic 1500. What’s the. Best riding tire? I don’t off-road mostly highway but do have 4 wheel drive, have 20 inch stock wheels. What brand would be recommended. Thanks virgil

I think Hercules tires are good, and have had two sets and done well. I switched to the 8ply Hankook on my 20" rims and they are a bit more firmer , but no loss in MPG, which 10ply tires do. Expect to pay a little more than $900. for most tire above 4ply tires. I live on a gravel road that is not kept up well.

Hope this helps.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Major detail left out of this post...what year is the 442?! Haha, curious minds want to know!!
Not to Hijack the thread but it was a 1970 Twilight Blue Metallic, 455cid punched out .30 over, full cam all roller, high rise Edelbrock manifold, Holley 780cfm carb, billet steel flywheel, Center Force dual friction clutch, M-22 straight cut Rock crusher trans 4:10, 12 bolt posi, tire smashing big block.

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love my Goodyear Trailrunner ATs. Look good, sound good, guaranteed for 55,000 miles.

Tonino

20200608_164008.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've tried a lot of tires in all kind of vehicles, the RAM has seen now 4 sets in 3 years for example between Cooper, Falken, Milestar and BFG. I'm not a tire junkie just in case i can't get satisfied with certain products sometimes so i have to try something new and for me tires and suspension are the center of my needs given the way i use my vehicles.

If i wasn't into the offroad scene my tires will be Continental TerrainContact HT's or Cooper Discoverer SRX for the RAM 1500 application. Because i'm into the offroad scene i find myself coming back to BFG KO2's. 5th time running KO2's now, 2nd time in the RAM, in my opnion BFG KO2s do blend all aspects of what a good tough All Terrain tire can be: all season traction especially in wintry conditions, offroad rugged dependability with quality sidewalls and tire tread that doesn't easily chunk in rocks,gravel,etc, S speed rating, relatively lightweight, astonishing good looking regardless how you stare at them :), low noise levels, nice longetivity. I have to say tough you can't go wrong with most name brands tires BFG, Nitto, Toyo, Falken, Mickey Thompson, etc. so it all comes down to preference for a tire type/tread/compound, budget, and what you think looks good and can work the best in your truck in this instance. For me AT's suites me better, coming from MT just a few months back so i'm sure of what i need/want and KO2's simply deliver that and much more, They might not be the cheapest but you get what you pay for. i've tried to reinvent the wheels so many times before and BFG have gotten me the most with the KO2's.

cornelius967

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 G/T
Engine
HEMI 5.7 w/eTorque
Tires in sizes for trucks come in at least two forms: Light Truck (LT) and Passenger (P). You will see this as the first letter in the tire size description. Most times, the LT tire is not going to offer the most comfortable ride as it is rated for truck use and built a bit more sturdy to carry load. The P tires are considered passenger tires which consider "comfort" as part of the characteristic of the tire.

One thing to look for when considering tires is the UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grading) which comes on DOT approved passenger tires but doesn't apply for LT tires. One important aspect of the UTQG is the wear rating: 500 is "average". The higher the number, the longer the tires should last. The UTQG also offers a letter designation for "traction" and "temperature".

If you're considering "P" rated tires always look to the UTQG for information about the tire that you intend to purchase. I always look for a tire with a wear rating above 600 and a traction of "A". Now that I have a new RAM, I'll have to consider LT tires when it's time to replace the stock Falken Wildpeak A/Ts. I only have less than 2000 miles on the truck but this might be the most comfortable that we own among five vehicles between my wife and I.

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Looking to replace the tires on my 2019 classic 1500. What’s the. Best riding tire? I don’t off-road mostly highway but do have 4 wheel drive, have 20 inch stock wheels. What brand would be recommended. Thanks virgil

Try the Michelin LTX M&S Have used for years, can't complain about anything, A Consumer Reports Top All Around Tire

Pwrwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go with michilen I switched to them on my ram 1500 larime 4x4 and got 65,000 out of the vs 20,000 out of those ******** Goodyear’s
There a great highway tire.

Bill Blackmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know a lot of people on this forum do not like Goodyear tires. However I bought a set of Fortitude HT all season for my Ram with 17 inch wheels and I love them. They ride very well, have good grip and are not noisy. Do stay away from the SRA’s and AT/S. And the raised white letters look great!

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
love my Yokohama Geolander ATs. Good dry, wet, snow, braking traction. Quiet on the highway. Great northern Illinois tire. Lot cheaper the Michelin. Per Tire Rack tool, second (by a very small margin) then Firestone Discovery. Both got better reviews than Michelin and Coopers,

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 Ram Crew Cab 4 WD Hemi 74k miles. Have Continental Sure Contact 20’s. About 24k on them with minimal perceptible wear (8/11ths). Do a 5k rotation with each oil change, check alinement annually. Great quiet over the road tire, excellent in the wet, would not be my first choice off road.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cooper and Mich lead the poll here. You can't go wrong either way, maybe see if cooper has an all season.

they do. Evolution Ht. I went from Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 285/60/20 E rated to the Cooper Evolution HT in stock size SL rated. It is not even a comparison as for ride quality. I live on the gulf coast, where rain is a way of life, and these coopers are amazing. Of course, we don’t get snow so I can’t comment on that, but I would recommend them all day and twice on Sunday for someone looking for a new tire that is better than OeM and not an AT.