Tire Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T Jones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't posted in a while. I need some suggestions on tires for my 2014 RAM Express. It's a 2 WD. It has Goodyear tires on it now, which I'm not too impressed with.
RAM-3A.jpg

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Anybody use the Les Schwab or Big O brands? Thanks
I had a set of Big O tires on one of our cars until recently. It needed tires during the covid shortages, and I could not get any of my top choices, so went with the Big O's. Pretty much from new, they were horrible in the rain. Hydroplaned very easily. Replaced them with Michelins, problem is gone. I know it's not truck tires, but a data point none the less.

bravem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been using Michelin tires for years. Tried them once, was pleased with them, and always bought only this brand. But recently read these Bridgestone Tires reviews (also found good feedback here) and started thinking that they are worth giving a try.

Last edited:

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I just put Michelin Defender LTX on my 2500. First impression after 3 days…..
Awesome.
Can’t wait to try them out in the rain.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put Michelin Defender LTX on my 2500. First impression after 3 days…..
Awesome.
Can’t wait to try them out in the rain.
Which is why I have Falkens on my 1500. The GoodCrapola SRA's would spin real bad in the rain and were worthless in wet grass. I had to use 4 WD to get out of neighbors driveway when wet, which is why I went to M & S Falkens, just a personal choice. I have run TOYO AT's on wife's F 150, and they were decent also.

ADDED: Tires are like oil recommendations, and air/oil/diesel filter thoughts. They are gonna be all over the universe.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Which is why I have Falkens on my 1500. The GoodCrapola SRA's would spin real bad in the rain and were worthless in wet grass. I had to use 4 WD to get out of neighbors driveway when wet, which is why I went to M & S Falkens, just a personal choice. I have run TOYO AT's on wife's F 150, and they were decent also.

ADDED: Tires are like oil recommendations, and air/oil/diesel filter thoughts. They are gonna be all over the universe.
The stock Firestone Transforce were crappy also. Good for maybe 20 k miles then crap. They always made black marks in the driveway. Hopefully the Michelins won’t do that.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The stock Firestone Transforce were crappy also. Good for maybe 20 k miles then crap. They always made black marks in the driveway. Hopefully the Michelins won’t do that.
Like 0g Dodge said: Heavier tire, you will lose a small amount of MPG. I lost 1 to 1/2 mpg when I went to Falkens from SRA's.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
while we're talking tires, what kind of portable tire inflator is good to carry that will put out enough air for these fullsize tires if you are on the road and need to plug a tire or add air. I stow one of the Ryobi battery inflators but a cpl. guys have said I would never be able to air up a flat with one if I had to so am now shopping for something better.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
while we're talking tires, what kind of portable tire inflator is good to carry that will put out enough air for these fullsize tires if you are on the road and need to plug a tire or add air. I stow one of the Ryobi battery inflators but a cpl. guys have said I would never be able to air up a flat with one if I had to so am now shopping for something better.
I got a mid priced one on Amazon that claimed to air a tires up to 150 psi, well it took a good 4-5 minutes and it got quite warm airing up 1 of my 4 trailer tires to 40 psi :(

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also have a ryobi. Just carry it in my work car in case of an emergency. It has no problems pumping up a car tire. A few weeks ago noticed a guy I was working with tire was low on his f150. It was at 18psi got it up to 34 but after that it was struggling.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
For highway towing large weight, I second the Michellin LTX. VERY hard to beat their combination of good traction, no squirm in the wind and long tread life.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I got a mid priced one on Amazon that claimed to air a tires up to 150 psi, well it took a good 4-5 minutes and it got quite warm airing up 1 of my 4 trailer tires to 40 psi :(
ya that's the problem. with the 20's on the truck and the trailer tires all needing to be at 70# or so when towing, the mini compressors dont move enough volume to get the job done. this has bothered me since my son was towing his 5th wheel 2000 miles from home and had a flat..the hand held Ryobi wouldnt move enough air to fill back up. it got red hot and quit several times. he was stuck on the side of the road trying to change to the spare. not safe. if he could have aired up, could have got to a safe pull off.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
For highway towing large weight, I second the Michellin LTX. VERY hard to beat their combination of good traction, no squirm in the wind and long tread life.
Recently put a set of the M/S2's on my 2500. Towed to Myrtle Beach with the OEM Firestone's and saw a bunch of cracks in the sidewall when we got there. Had the tires replaced while there. The tow home was so much nicer. Just felt more stable.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have the Viair 88P I keep in my truck, and their Hypergrade 330C with the Dominion Offroad mount in the engine bay of my Wrangler.

Viair makes the best portable pumps.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Viair 88P I keep in my truck, and their Hypergrade 330C with the Dominion Offroad mount in the engine bay of my Wrangler.

Viair makes the best portable pumps.
Vair makes a fantastic pump. I ran ARB in my past wrangler but now built in to a plastic tool box. Powered with alligator clamps to the battery. Good pumps are expensive for a reason. Seen off roaders use compressed CO2 containers. Something to look at.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Vair makes a fantastic pump. I ran ARB in my past wrangler but now built in to a plastic tool box. Powered with alligator clamps to the battery. Good pumps are expensive for a reason. Seen off roaders use compressed CO2 containers. Something to look at.
yeah ARB is top notch stuff. Having onboard air is so nice.

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking at:
Favoring Cooper a bit more

Perelli AT+
Cooper Discover ATV3 LTV​
After 6800 miles, my Pirelli AT+ have been performing wonderfully. No meaningful drop in mpg vs. the HT tires I was running before. Good performance on dry, wet road and sand. Noise is negligible. Can't speak about longevity. Let's see.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Michelin Defender LTX M/S is what I have on mine and also on a Jeep Commander previously. When mine wear out I will replace with the same. Lots of towing and truck camper usage. Great tire.