TIRE replacement of NEXEN's at 27,700 mi for hauling Go Cheap and replace in 2 yrs or get the best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chymmie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turbo diesel
I have a 2015 Ram Diesel extended cab longbed dually. I use it almost exclusively to haul a 3 horse fully loaded 12 ft shortwall living quarters horse trailer with hay rack and 150 gallons of water in bed of truck. Towing capacity is 28,000 for this truck. Truck stays hooked up most of the time.

I apparently need new tires. These Nexens came with it and are 4 yrs old, but periods of extended parking with a lot of weight on the back end. They do not have uneven wear. Dealer service rep says these tires are crap and that they have a lot of trouble with them. Said the truck was probably fine, but they actually haven't done the 30k service maintenance yet or looked at it. But after reading about NEXEN BOMB tires exploding blow outs on this forum, I conclude the tread may be about to separate the way I am bouncing down the highway with or without the trailer in tow.

I haul a lot on gravel dirt and caliche roads which chews up some tires, so I was not overly concerned when dealer service rep said look at tread crumbling ...

I am torn between buying the cheapest tires with a proper load rating and just replacing every 2 or 3 years versus buying the best tire available and risking defects, road hazards or whatever that ends up causing the tires to only last 4 years anyway.

What do you all recommend?

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I have a 2015 Ram Diesel extended cab longbed dually. I use it almost exclusively to haul a 3 horse fully loaded 12 ft shortwall living quarters horse trailer with hay rack and 150 gallons of water in bed of truck. Towing capacity is 28,000 for this truck. Truck stays hooked up most of the time.

I apparently need new tires. These Nexens came with it and are 4 yrs old, but periods of extended parking with a lot of weight on the back end. They do not have uneven wear. Dealer service rep says these tires are crap and that they have a lot of trouble with them. Said the truck was probably fine, but they actually haven't done the 30k service maintenance yet or looked at it. But after reading about NEXEN BOMB tires exploding blow outs on this forum, I conclude the tread may be about to separate the way I am bouncing down the highway with or without the trailer in tow.

I haul a lot on gravel dirt and caliche roads which chews up some tires, so I was not overly concerned when dealer service rep said look at tread crumbling ...

I am torn between buying the cheapest tires with a proper load rating and just replacing every 2 or 3 years versus buying the best tire available and risking defects, road hazards or whatever that ends up causing the tires to only last 4 years anyway.

Falken wildpeak awesome tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^^^ I agree with this guy, the Falken Wildpeak AT3W is a great AT tire, and is also on the lower price spectrum as well. I have then on my truck and have been happy with there performance...

8DC97CB2-2123-4C74-9414-9500FA85C3ED.jpeg

3E86B976-DE9B-43D9-915A-194EF6DC1D28.jpeg

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If I didn't go off road and strictly towed all the time I would have to get some michelins.

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
You won’t be disappointed it does not wear fast at all it’s definitely a tire that will last you even with your towing wildpeak will def be your new fav tire 7c28bc1890391bafd14b39db8ce1abc2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I recently had my front right nexen fail with broken belts at only 14k miles. I am going to keep the truck forever, so I went with Nitto dura grapplers. Great tires for the money, and have had them on other vehicles before. I looked this forum for suggestions on other threads. There are a lot of descnt tires out there. Got the best price thru the local RAM dealer. All six out the door for $1100.00

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Tires are something that I will not go on the cheap. There is a very big investment riding on them.
They could be the difference between life or death of my family or someone else. Not something to take the risk of cheapo tires on.

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's too nice of a truck to dress up with cheap tires! I love my KO2's for towing and hauling. They're tough as nails, well, not quite...

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Never skimp on tires. My dually just came in, and I have the Nexens sold and will be putting Exo Grapplers on. They worked great on my last truck.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L

One of our members here recommended the Bridgestone Duravis R500, and I did swap out those crappy Nexens for them. Fabulous closed shoulder design for durability and longevity. They also inhibit stones from collecting in the tread channels. Some reviewers state they have gotten over 200,000 miles on these tires. They are a bit narrower, too, and it translates to a little better fuel economy.....

DSCF6628.JPG

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How are these off road? My truck came with the yokohama g15 they are fine but when i need them repalced looking at something better. So far have 30k miles on mine

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I switched from Firestone Transforce A/Ts over to Cooper Discoverer AT3s on my 2016 3500. Absolutely loved the tires. At 30k miles on them, they still looked great. I routinely towed 15k with them and never had a problem. I run the Coopers on all my vehicles now. Ran the AT3s on my 2500, again on my 3500, and now am running them on my current 1500. Can't go wrong with them, IMO.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Like many here have said, don't skimp on tires (or brakes) because there's a lot riding on them, in every sense of the phrase!

While I don't have a 3500, I do use LT rated BFG K02's on my 1500 for the summer. Perhaps a bit overkill for my truck, but I like the assurance of a quality tire that can handle pretty much anything.

My friend with his 3500 dually uses the Bridgestone Duravis R500's and says they are good, dependable tires with lots of mileage to be had with them. He hauls an 8-car carrier or race car trailer across Canada.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956