Tire size and traction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MWRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All. I have a 2wd 2017 1500. Traction is disappointing in snow and on launch ramp. Thinking about a more aggressive tire, but my bigger question is this: If I change from a 275/60/20 to 275/55/20, will that improve my performance? Thanks!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Better tires will help, changing sizes maybe,maybe not. Better tire overall is the answer . IMHO.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The stock Goodyear’s are very poor for traction in any weather except for bright and sunny. I almost lost my truck on an on ramp in the rain doing 35mph… with the stock Goodyear’s. Almost anything is better than those. Do some research before buying. Going smaller you will need to reprogram for the tire size and unless it’s significantly lighter you won’t really see any difference.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you are talking about the oem tire which would have been helpful info, doesn't even have half way good traction on pavement, they are literal goodyear junk. I'm not sold on "winter tires" but then again I don't live in the snow. From the times I have went through the snow which was like every weekend for one season, my at's did a great job at it. You can of course get studded tires if your local allows it, they are like having chains on your truck. Some locales want a permit fee, go figure. At's will be great, snow tires will be great at least during snow season, anything is better then oem.

Tire Poll.

Donner Pass here, closed to anything but 4x4 and chains, the road get's so much snow you are driving on 12 inches of compacted snow with a line of vehicles in front and back. Zero issues with at's.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Add weight. Get a set of good SNOW tires for winter, run a reasonable AT for the summer.

Everyone craps on the factory tires, but I have a dealer installed set (not original) of Goodyear SRA on my truck and they're fine. No problems in winter, rain, dry. Approaching 20k miles on them already and they are roughly half gone.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You didn't mention whether you have a limited-slip or an open diff. That make a lot of difference in traction on a wet boat ramp or on snow.
Going to a tire size approx. 1 inch shorter is going to make no difference in traction Also the width of those 2 sizes is the same so no traction gain there.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I'm going to disagree with the larger the better.
Those tires are too damn wide for anything except playing in a parking lot,
on clean dry pavement.
A tall and narrower tire will in 90% of situations work better.
The old 7.00 and 7.50 15's and 16's then the 235/85 got good traction and worked good.
The exception for them being sand.
All of the newer trucks have too wide a tire mounted to them for anything but clean dry pavement.
My older Dakota got downsized to 245/75r16's which helped that truck immensely,
my 2015 eco-diesel got set onto 245/70r17's , my 19 is still on the factory 18's
and I am currently exploreing my options for narrower tall 18's and am not impressed with what I'm finding.

Oh, I almost forgot to say in my opinon low profile tires do not belong on a truck,
they are for boulevard crusiers.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
If you have the same ones that came on mine, FS Transforce AT, they are pure garbage. I live out in the country and don't have any pavement for about a mile from the house. I would have to put the truck on 4x4 just to get out of the "driveway" anytime there was dew, let alone rain, on the grass.|

I went with GY WRANGLER ULTRATERRAIN AT and the only issue I have is that the rocks get stuck in the tread.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
All Terrains with the Three Peak Snow Flake symbol on them and you are good to go. OEM size.

2021Ram3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Goodyear DuraTrac's are going to be your best option. Talk to your tire guys about a wider tire if that's an option. I've run all brands and models of traction or off road tires and while the long term mileage isn't so good the DuraTrac's will definitely improve your traction. Also unless you're a max tow rates let some air out of the tires for even better traction. That's why you see all the off road guys stopped at a trail head, they're letting air out of the tires for better ride and better traction.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Hi All. I have a 2wd 2017 1500. Traction is disappointing in snow and on launch ramp. Thinking about a more aggressive tire, but my bigger question is this: If I change from a 275/60/20 to 275/55/20, will that improve my performance? Thanks!
I also own a 2017 2WD 1500. I do have the LSD. I drove the factory installed SRA's to 46, 000 miles. I really did not seem to have the complaints that many have about them. They were still legal but for wet rainy conditions and safety considerations I replaced them. I went with Continental Terrain Contact H/T's. However, the vast majority of my driving is long distance at highway speeds. The A/T would probably suit you better no matter what brand you choose.
I have been on slime boat ramps and had no problems. I turn off stability control and when ever I know I will need help with traction I add weight over the rear wheels.
IMO you will get the most bang for your dollars if you turn of stability control for standing start traction needs, ( not highway speeds ), choose tires appropriate for your needs and add weight over the rear wheels.
Good luck

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tire size do help but you have to have the right gearing to move bigger tires. Also good to have the right thread and compound for the job. Prob more important than just tire size alone.