Tire size change with AlfaOBD not taking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CustomExpress

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been trying to change my tire size on my 17 1500. Went from 265/70R17 to 285/70R17. I've used the how-to guide on the master AlfaOBD thread. I've done it 3 times now and it never changes the size in the computer, and my speedometer is still off. Any tips?

OP
OP
CustomExpress

CustomExpress

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly not sure. I haven't tried to change the tire size for a while, just busy life stuff going on. I'll look at the directions again and see if I did

Dickencider90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is your 1500 stock height? I’ve been thinking about going bigger size and I have 17s also but don’t know if 285 will rub

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you check the tire circumference in the body computer, does it show the new or factory circumference?

Try the google doc in this post, this helped quite a bit when I was setting my tire size:

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a thread in here somewhere that explains how to get your 4 digit pin, or take your registration and license, go to the dealer parts counter and ask for your pin.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I used JScan and I don't recall it requiring a PIN.

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Changing TPMS thresholds, specifically resetting the RF Hub after changing the thresholds, requires the 4 digit "programming PIN." Changing the tire size in the BCM does not require the PIN.

You can get your truck's PIN from the parts department at your FCA dealership for free or from AlphaOBD...

1. Select your car model
2. Select Radio Frequency Hub (RFH)
3. Select your control unit
4. Once connected, click the car with hood open icon
5. Choose and start the "Read pin" procedure

OP
OP
CustomExpress

CustomExpress

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Following the guide in this thread: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/ I was able to get though all the steps, but still didn't change the speedometer, its reading fast. I shouldn't have to enter the pin to get into the body module, it never asks for it.

Is your 1500 stock height? I’ve been thinking about going bigger size and I have 17s also but don’t know if 285 will rub

Dickencider-yes stock height, no rubbing issues, and I have the rebel size wheels

When you check the tire circumference in the body computer, does it show the new or factory circumference?

Try the google doc in this post, this helped quite a bit when I was setting my tire size:
So after the last attempt, it shows the metric size I manually entered into the system. These directions are the same as Ive already used

OP
OP
CustomExpress

CustomExpress

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New issue, the ABS reset section, the option to start "ABS Initialization" is greyed out. Not sure how to proceed

Oknavytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am about ready to switch from stock 17 rim to a 20 rim using 275/60 r20's how much of a pain is the alpha stuff going to be. also if someone has a write up with steps that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance