Tire size for 22”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
I’ve done a search but can’t quite find a thread specific to my question. I guess I have some $ burning a hole in my pocket and looking to spend a little money on my truck and swap out my tires however, it appears that because on my larger rims that my choices are limited. My 2020 Longhorn has 22” rims and the OEM tires are 30.5” tall. I would like to buy some taller, more aggressive tires. I don’t really do any off reading (that stuff is many years behind me) but what I’m looking for is:
-Taller than stock tires
-All Season but good in snow
-Good Load Range for towing
-Good handling characteristics
-Not too loud

I’m not even sure if taller tires are a possibility with 22” wheels. I like how the OEM wheels look and I know that I could swap them for 20” and my choices would increase but I would like to avoid that. My window sticker says that they are 9” wide. Since I don’t really have any off road needs I’m not concerned about width. Actually my experience has been for snow I would prefer that the tires are not wider than necessary.

Lastly, if a taller tire is available, how tall can I go without a lift? I’m not terribly apposed to a 2” leveling kit but would prefer to keep the suspension stock.
Thank you in advance,
Hank

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Unless you or someone else changed them out, your stock tires size is 285/45/22, which translates to 32.1" in diameter, not 30.5. As far as how big you can go, couple questions... Do you have air suspension, or standard coils? Do you have the off road group?

Original tire specs.JPG

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
The size of my OEM tires are listed on the sticker as 285/45RXL BSW All Season. The size stamped on the tire is: 285/45R22 but they don’t measure 32.1” unless that chart that you sent gives the measurement off of the vehicle without weight. I just went out and measured the same front tires as before and are both 30-5/8” (I was off by 1/8” sorry. I measured them the first time in the dark at 5:00 this morning). The rears (which I didn’t measure before) measure 30-3/4” with an empty bed. And before anyone asks, YES all of the tires are inflated to the proper air pressure of 36psi. The tires are Goodyear Touring Eagles. I’m not sure where the discrepancy is between the actual measurement and the 32.1” shown in the chart but that’s quite a lot.
No air suspension and no optional springs or suspension. No off-road group. Bone stock untouched since purchased.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
At what point on the tire did you measure it? I just measured one of mine that's not mounted to the truck anymore (5000 miles on the tire), and it measures right at 32 inches, taking into account the crown of the tread. My Limited came with the same tires as your Longhorn. The chart is from an online tire size calculator.

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
I measured to the highest point. The center of the tire where there is a slight crown. I’m a third generation Bricklayer/Stone Mason. Measurements have been my life, so I could run a level from the crown to my tape but that’s not necessary, I’m extremely confident in my measurement. I have 9500 miles on the tires and still plenty of tread. I have no idea why these tires measure so much less than the chart that was shown but unless I entered the Twilight Zone the measurements are what they are.
I would like to find something maybe 33” tall which shouldn’t be a problem for the rear, hopefully something that tall would fit in the front without modifications to the front.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah, I can't explain that. Even so, you should be okay with 33's. That's the stock Rebel tire diameter (275/70/18), and plenty of people have put Rebel wheels and tires on their Laramies, Big Horns, Limiteds. etc. I know for sure they would fit if you had the off road group, as those sit 1 at the same height as the Rebels (1 inch higher than non-ORG trucks).

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking of going 285/50 22 - Not many options in that size. I had decided on Toyo AT3s but they are on National back order. That is a 33” tire. Nitto and Yokohama also make tires in that size. Also note that just going 1 size taller goes from and XL to Load Range E tire which are much heavier but better for towing.