Tired of "Back to Black" plastic trim restoring: Anyone Tried Painting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I was thinking of either that flat black spray can like the video above or just going with some plasti-dip, since that could at least be easily peeled and redone if needed. Anyone have experience, particularly on Ram boxes? After 12 years of Texas sun exposure, its just beyond all those trim restoring products.

Obviously I'd wash them with dawn dishwashing soap and then wipe down with alcohol first.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

I was thinking of either that flat black spray can like the video above or just going with some plasti-dip, since that could at least be easily peeled and redone if needed. Anyone have experience, particularly on Ram boxes? After 12 years of Texas sun exposure, its just beyond all those trim restoring products.

Obviously I'd wash them with dawn dishwashing soap and then wipe down with alcohol first.
I have been doing this with Texas plastic trim for years. I originally started with primer and paint and then I moved on to using the Duplicolor Vinyl Wrap spray which is a competitor to PlastiDip. It works very well and I have had great results with the Duplicolor Vinyl Wrap spray. I normally buy it from Amazon becuase it is a whole lot cheaper than buying it at my local auto parts. I would pick up a few cans and give them a test. I dont think you will be disappointed.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my previous Jeep Wrangler TJ, I used a product called Penetrol on the faded fenders, and the plastic bumper end covers, which were referred to as "milk jugs". I learned about the stuff on a Jeep forum and reservations about using it since it was not an automotive product. I gave it a try and could not have been happier. It made the plastic item look new, and original, not the high gloss shinning appearance Dust didn't stick to, and it washed up just fine. It still looked good after a year, but then I sold the Jeep. It is inexpensive, and I believe I got it at a hardware store. If you search out the stuff for Jeep use, you will find lots of information about the stuff.

Penetrol® Oil-Based Paint Additive - Flood ® Wood Finishes

https://www.flood.com › products › penetrol-oil-based-...

PENETROL® Oil-Based Coating Additive is a versatile low-odor additive to improve ***********, adhesion and flow of oil-based paints, stains, varnishes

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Have you considered wrapping them.I ran into a guy who'd had his Ramboxes wrapped in the trucks body colour,and it looked good.He'd had them wrapped for about a year,he said the truck sits outside year round,and the wrap was holding up very well,it still looked good.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Maybe that Penetrol actually goes into the plastic instead of just sitting and will ‘rejuvenate’ it, instead of it getting brittle and cracking. My mate has a Jeep Wrangler and his bumpers are all tiny spiderweb cracks cos of sun exposure.

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my previous Jeep Wrangler TJ, I used a product called Penetrol on the faded fenders, and the plastic bumper end covers, which were referred to as "milk jugs". I learned about the stuff on a Jeep forum and reservations about using it since it was not an automotive product. I gave it a try and could not have been happier. It made the plastic item look new, and original, not the high gloss shinning appearance Dust didn't stick to, and it washed up just fine. It still looked good after a year, but then I sold the Jeep. It is inexpensive, and I believe I got it at a hardware store. If you search out the stuff for Jeep use, you will find lots of information about the stuff.

Penetrol® Oil-Based Paint Additive - Flood ® Wood Finishes

https://www.flood.com › products › penetrol-oil-based-...

So you use this product by itself? My 2010 JKUR's bumpers and fenders look awful.
PENETROL® Oil-Based Coating Additive is a versatile low-odor additive to improve ***********, adhesion and flow of oil-based paints, stains, varnishes

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
The Flood Company's Marine Penetrol has been used for years to restore chalking / fading gelcoat on Boats. I never thought about using it in an automotive application but it seems quite reasonable to believe it will work on auto parts as it does on boats. I would give it a try.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, used the product by itself. Just poured some into a container and used a small foam brush to apply it.

Alexander Wardlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another vote for krylon fusion satin black. I've done a few parts over the years with it and it looks like brand new.

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
E24F089D-D557-4457-8688-DEE6F327529D.png
I did the heat gun treatment on my bumper and running board steps. Turned out really good !!!

Attachments

• E07B797F-F8A5-454A-8A1F-E3DBD0D4FC7F.png
    E07B797F-F8A5-454A-8A1F-E3DBD0D4FC7F.png
    403.4 KB · Views: 9

BigTex13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Keep in mind if you use the heat gun method it is just a band aid fix and will cause more problems in the future by drying out the plastics. Solution finish (https://www.autogeek.net/solution-finish-restorer.html) works great and is what a lot of professional detailers use to restore plastic trim.
SEM bumper coater (https://www.semproducts.com/product/bumper-coatertm-aerosols#product-details) works great to repaint bumpers. The SEM prep soap to clean and prep the surface prior to painting. No primer or adhesion promoter needed.

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the heat gun treatment on my bumper and running board steps. Turned out really good !!!
Yeah, did that too, and was great for maybe 1-1.5 years, forget how long its been, but its back to faded. That's my issue, nothing really lasts, lol! Going to try the Plastidip after festivities Monday and see how it goes, since I already have cans left over and if it sucks I can peel it off and try these other suggestions.