Tires and other first impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Prepare for a decent mpg hit, probably several mpg in town driving.

They might fit, they are only about 1/2-3/4" taller per side vs. my stock tires on my 16. Plus the tread is narrower vs. my stock 275/60/20 tires. Section width is about the same on both tires. At least with a different tire but same size as your new tires.

Unless your rims have a different offset or something else is changed between the 4th and 5th gen trucks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PTL294

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Prepare for a decent mpg hit, probably several mpg in town driving.

They might fit, they are only about 1/2-3/4" taller per side vs. my stock tires on my 16. Plus the tread is narrower vs. my stock 275/60/20 tires. Section width is about the same on both tires. At least with a different tire but same size as your new tires.

Unless your rims have a different offset or something else is changed between the 4th and 5th gen trucks.
Yeah, I’ve been reading up on that. At the price of gas it has me shuddering a little. I’ve read swapping out the gears from 3.21’s that are in there to the 3.92’s will help around town. And highway driving in the 60-70mph range. I’ll eventually tow a travel trailer down the road, so wondering if the gear swap is a must do anyways?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 3.92's are a nice gear for 60 mph and down, at 70+ they cost me up to 3 mpg over a similar 3.21 truck.
There are a few people that still get 20 mpg with 3.92's, mine and most that I talk to get about 17 mpg when over 70 mph.

It really depends on the trailer size to be honest, with the 8 speed the first few gears are so steep that the gears really aren't needed unless pulling a heavier trailer. IMO

With 3.92's and 33" tall tires, under normal light driving I am out of first gear at about 5 mph and in 8th around 40-43 mph. I don't have aggressive tread tires.

It would take forever to cover the cost of a gear swap (4X4) with the minimal mpg change.

OP
OP
P

PTL294

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good point on the cost. It’s just a 17 footer. Dry weight about 2500lbs.

WarrenOut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So while I’m waiting for the rest of my parts, I’ve been contemplating. Tire size. 22 big horn night non orp. I ordered Fox front, icon 1.5 rear. First tires, 275/65 or 285/65? Mostly used for camping. Will eventually tow a boat and camper. Daily driver. I searched but maybe I just suck at it.
Second, the headlights suck. What did y’all non led/hid guys do for a solid upgrade? I was driving in the dark, snowstorm on wet black top and I couldn’t see squat.

Love the truck though. Thing is sweet
Look at LasFit LED bulbs, you will see everything.