Tires for 1500 Laramie 4x4. Towing and snow and ice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rmoore7167

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Hi just purchased the 2019..love it! question. I was at tire store for something else and asked about snow tires. They come stock with M+S 275/65t18. I asked about snow tires and also mentioned towing. The guy said that I need to get tires with the LT rating for towing trailers. He recommended the Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar, LT275/65r18. Has Triangle with snowflake.....He suggested unlike other "snow" tires this has a 65000 mile warranty. Does anyone have any experience with these? Comments on tires for towing? What i liked was the fact that I could keep on year long and not change out tires every winter.

Thanks in advance

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No experience with those. But it sounds like some Duratracs would work well for ya too.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I was going to suggest the bfg 2ko's I dont have much experience with snow but they seem to be a highly rated tire. I had them on my 1/2 they were D rated 8ply tires witch seems to pair well with the half ton.

Duratracs were a good recommendation also I have read tons of reviews on them.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
a lot depends on the amount of snow you plan to drive thru regularly but I have the wildpeak at3w 20's on my ram and drove thru a lot of snow this year on two trips in the new mexico mtns. and got good traction with them. they are just all season tires but seem to grip well in stuff up to the floorboards.

smithwicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t tow at all but I drive on back country roads all through the northeast winter. All terrains are the way to go. They have the looks and performance all year round. Toyo open country at2 and fallen wild peak at3w have done well for me.

While the rest of my co workers were stranded at the office overnight I was able to make it out last winter.

1086627a00b99a0491d370405fadf13e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funroadahead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drive about 60k a year for the last 10 years in Minnesota.
BFG T/A KO has been the best so far. Longest lasting and best all around traction, and I've pretty much tried 'em all. Snow traction is great, not too bad on ice either. They can be a little spin-happy off the line in the wet and 2wd.
Mine were 285/70-18, E load range (I like a hard sidewall).
I'd have to look up yhe exact tires I used from Bridgestone, General, Yokohama, Dunlop, Goodyear, and Cooper.
I do remember the Yoko's were probably the best on ice and wierdly absolutely worthless on snow.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
For winter, it’s always been studded Hakkapeliitas.

These were the studded Hakkapeliita LT2’s I used on the Dually. Unstoppable in winter!

F4C48168-A738-4529-919C-974418F2D87A.jpeg

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying to decide on a "one set" tire plan versus a "winter / summer" tire plan.

It's interesting reading all the feedback on different tires, but I'm especially looking for comments from those who may have done the "winter / summer" plan, but have given it up and think the "one set" is nearly as good

I live in Minnesota, and I have two goals:

1) I want to change out the OE Goodyear SRA's for better performance in wet, snow, and limited off-road use. The SRA's seem optimized for ride and cost - oh yeah, fuel economy too, but maybe that's mostly because they are so much lighter than LT tires.
2) When I do #1, I would like to drive in snow and ice rain with a level of grip close to what dedicated snow tires give in my sedan. I thought maybe the Goodyear SRA's were getting overly-harsh criticism until I drove my truck last Fall and Winter. My truck should not feel less stable than my car or my wife's minivan in pouring rain or in snow & ice - and I am pretty sure it's the tires.

So now my choice is whether to just go for one set of D or E rated tires with good reputation (General Grabber ATX, Goodrich KO2, Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus, and the rest) - OR go with dedicated winter and summer tires.

So if your used to switch over Fall and Spring and stopped, or if you still switch over, I would appreciate hearing your perspectives.

Thanks !

MarineBSP

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I grabbed a set of oe wheels off craigslist and run 2 sets. I run a lot of miles so I just buy tires half as often since they're only on half as much and with the second set of wheels I'm not paying to swap and balance them twice a year. I have nitto ridge grapplers for the muddy seasons and summer and studded hankook ipikes in the winter. Happy with both, but will probably switch to toyo ats and general grabber arctic LT studded snows next time around

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for feedback. I'm used to running winter / summer tires on the cars, and I drive enough that the costs will average out.

smithwicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm trying to decide on a "one set" tire plan versus a "winter / summer" tire plan.

It's interesting reading all the feedback on different tires, but I'm especially looking for comments from those who may have done the "winter / summer" plan, but have given it up and think the "one set" is nearly as good

I live in Minnesota, and I have two goals:

1) I want to change out the OE Goodyear SRA's for better performance in wet, snow, and limited off-road use. The SRA's seem optimized for ride and cost - oh yeah, fuel economy too, but maybe that's mostly because they are so much lighter than LT tires.
2) When I do #1, I would like to drive in snow and ice rain with a level of grip close to what dedicated snow tires give in my sedan. I thought maybe the Goodyear SRA's were getting overly-harsh criticism until I drove my truck last Fall and Winter. My truck should not feel less stable than my car or my wife's minivan in pouring rain or in snow & ice - and I am pretty sure it's the tires.

So now my choice is whether to just go for one set of D or E rated tires with good reputation (General Grabber ATX, Goodrich KO2, Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus, and the rest) - OR go with dedicated winter and summer tires.

So if your used to switch over Fall and Spring and stopped, or if you still switch over, I would appreciate hearing your perspectives.

Thanks !

MarineBSP

I used to swap when I had my WRX and was a firm believer in snow tires for the winter. When I got my truck it came with oem toyos and they were fantastic in the northeast winters. They never got loose in the rain and never had a problem in deep, thick, or hard packed snow. They even performed well on untreated iced over roads. They held their own driving in the twisties 50-60mph too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Best tires I've run year round for my conditions, which is muddy spring and fall and icy winter roads performance wise were the bfg at ko's and 2nd best was the toyo ats, but I got almost twice the mileage out of the toyos. However, bfg has changed their tread compound and a couple friends are running them and they seem to be wearing better and the performance is still good.

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Ive always used Ko2's also on my last 2 trucks. Great tire. I'm hoping they make a 22" version before i need new tires on my '19.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Why not go to websites for tires (Americas Tire Store, Goodyear, etc) and read the customers' reviews. I would never trust the expertise of a guy who happens to sell tires any more than a guy who sells trucks or take medical advice from a salesman for a drug company.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your truck can tow it’s tow rating and carry it’s payload with OEM P rated tires. Saying it “needs” LT rated tires is factual BS. Will it do better with LTs? Yes. If you are respecting the trucks payload and tow rating can you overload the Ps? No, P tires were used for those ratings.

That said, and LT is always better.

BFG KO2s aren’t as good as the Original KO in the snow, but still good. duratracs are better. I would only use either if I was running a single set, year round (which I do, general grabber AT2s). I’m from Ottawa Canada, and drive 400mi/wk, regardless of weather. I just have a great deal on grabber AT2s that I buy new ones every 20k miles.

Going to 2 sets? Make the winter set a genuine winter tire like a hakkapelita or blizzak. Ultrasoft compounds and generous siping makes all the difference.

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Made my decision - I'm going with dedicated Winter and 'Summer' tires. Both in LT tires.

I should add I've been running Winter/Summer tires on all of our family vehicles (5 right now) for two decades. So for snow and ice, I have a bias toward best traction I can get. My big decision was whether to run LT A/T tires year round. Because I end up driving from rural into metro freeway areas frequently, I wanted the best ability to miss the people who forget year-to-year that snow makes it easier & riskier to overdrive their tires.

I read all the customer reviews I could find on-line from retailers (Tire Rack, Discount Tire, and others - including KAL tires in Canada) and multiple owner forums. Between that and my experience with four brands of winter tires, I bought a set of take-off Mopar rims and fitted Nokian Hakkapelliita LT3's (275/65R20) for winters. I will probably run Nokian Rotiivas for the other three seasons, but I'll put off the added cost off until next Spring - and the brand could change.

Thanks for your input - I'll review my choice once they have some winter miles - which should be a month or two out. PS, the photo of the tire 1) the tire was balanced on gravel, not touching the truck and 2) it's directional tread for the other side =).

Luey Bluey - Winter Tires.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334