Tires for '16 Rebel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Williton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
i really like my Yokohama Geolander ATs. Quiet, good wet/dry/snow traction. Not sure of load rating. Is a P series, not an LT.
Typical "p" series tires are gd for around 7000 lb gvw. Lt's are about 10,000 lb. gvw. Depends on your truck usage. Single axle utility trailer, 4 wheeler, snowmobile or garden tractor in the back, "p"'s are fine. Larger 2 axle camper trailer, car trailer, etc, I recommend the added load capacity of a LT tire

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ol lady has a 21 classic 1500 with the 17" rebel wheels. From ram they had Yokohama geolander a/t tires. O.E size was Lt265/70r17. They rode nice, were quiet, she got approx 70,000 miles out of them with diligent rotations and monthly pressure checks. For max life always inflate to pressure indicated on the sidewall(cold). However, with an Lt rated tire, (if your not max hauling) start at max psi and if a tad stif decrease 1 or 2 pounds and try again. However DO NOT go below 10% of recommended pressure
Huh? The OEM tires on a Rebel are E rated (80 psi). It would be like riding on Flintstone tires. Even 10% lower is way too high.

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My TRX came with Goodyear Territory AT's. Wow, these are the quietest and nicest riding truck tires I've ever had. I have no idea the price or how long they will last but I'm impressed.
Interesting....I'll look into those, but they never show up in my E rated search. I noticed the TRX takes a D rated tire OEM.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My ol lady has a 21 classic 1500 with the 17" rebel wheels. From ram they had Yokohama geolander a/t tires. O.E size was Lt265/70r17. They rode nice, were quiet, she got approx 70,000 miles out of them with diligent rotations and monthly pressure checks. For max life always inflate to pressure indicated on the sidewall(cold). However, with an Lt rated tire, (if your not max hauling) start at max psi and if a tad stif decrease 1 or 2 pounds and try again. However DO NOT go below 10% of recommended pressure
To recommend a blanket statement for max life of a tire to indicated pressure on the tire sidewall is blatantly wrong.
I have the same size and load rated tires on my Outdoorsman, I run 40 psi which is 3 psi under the sticker on the door. If was running anywhere near the max inflation pressure of 80 psi the truck would ride/handle like crap and the center of the tires would be bald. As it is now there's almost 60K miles on them and easily have another 10K-15K of life.

The max inflation pressure on the sidewall is not specific to the vehicle the tires are mounted on. That's why there is a pressure listed on the door jamb, the manufacturer calculates the pressure required based on the load for the size of tire. The max inflation pressure is there to meet the max load capacity of the tire. For the LT265/70R17 Load E tire at 80 psi is about 3200 lbs per tire.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Huh? The OEM tires on a Rebel are E rated (80 psi). It would be like riding on Flintstone tires. Even 10% lower is way too high.
And they were toyo at2’s not yokahamas. And in a 285/70/17 not 265/70/17.

They were e-rated? Thats crazy on a half ton. My 2500 power wagon didnt even come with e-rated tires.

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And they were toyo at2’s not yokahamas. And in a 285/70/17 not 265/70/17.

They were e-rated? Thats crazy on a half ton. My 2500 power wagon didnt even come with e-rated tires.
I agree....it's major overkill with E tires on the Rebel. But that's OEM, and with my lifetime warranty, I have to follow it.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree....it's major overkill with E tires on the Rebel. But that's OEM, and with my lifetime warranty, I have to follow it.
Hmmmmm. I have the lifetime maxcare on my power wagon, and replaced the oem duratracs with 35s and have never had any problem. Only been to the dealer a few times in the 7 years, but they didnt blink an eye at the tires.

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmmmm. I have the lifetime maxcare on my power wagon, and replaced the oem duratracs with 35s and have never had any problem. Only been to the dealer a few times in the 7 years, but they didnt blink an eye at the tires.
Did you have to change the tire pressure setting? I'd have to if I moved to a lesser tire. I had a nightmare warranty scenario last fall (dealer tech argued/lied about all sorts of maintenance items, which I had already done. Needless to say that dealer is off the list and got a very bad Google review).

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you have to change the tire pressure setting? I'd have to if I moved to a lesser tire. I had a nightmare warranty scenario last fall (dealer tech argued/lied about all sorts of maintenance items, which I had already done. Needless to say that dealer is off the list and got a very bad Google review).
I have not done anything about the damn tire pressure monitoring system…its just been a 3 stage process starting my truck for the last 7 years…(2 taps on the bottom right arrow on the steering wheel controls gets the dash where i want it).

The dealer is 100% in control as far as im concerned, when it comes to warranty work…you need to find one that works WITH you, not AGAINST you.