Tires for '16 Rebel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's time for tires again. I run the stock size due to my Maxcare warranty.

I got 50k miles out of the OEM Toyos, and about 50k out of my current Cooper AT3 XLT. (both sets could do another 10k miles, but I don't like to run tires at the wear bars). Both the Toyos and Coopers got hard at the end of life, and loss of traction.

Any recommendations for nice riding E rated tires? Or even D or C (although I realize C tires require a lower air pressure than the computer is set for). I'm tired of such a hard ride.

I've run K02s on previous 4x4s and like them, but they are at the upper price range.

Last edited:

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I'm about to replace my OEM Toyo's on my'17, likely going with Falken Wildpeak AT3/W.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just installed Michelin Defender LTX M/S in LT295/65R20 less than a week ago and the ride is so much smoother now, and I have bumped up my fuel economy by about 1mpg. The greatest part of this was getting them road force balanced, and only one tire took 2.5oz of weight, and all the others were between 0.75 and 2 oz of weight. I'm also sitting a tad higher up now, too, which I like.

I was running BFG KO2's in LT285/65R20, and while I really like the more aggressive look to them, they are heavier by about 5lb a tire more than the bigger sized Michelin's I just put on.

The BFG's also took a lot more weight to balance (two tires were 10.25 and 10.5 oz of weight, and the other two were between 7.75 and 9 oz of weight).

If you do more highway (like I do), but still want a LT tire with a fantastic rating, look at the Michelin's.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Michelin's ride nice for E-load.

What is your tire setpoint at? 43 psi to turn off the light? That's what my Outdoorsman with stock E-Load is at.

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

What is your tire setpoint at? 43 psi to turn off the light? That's what my Outdoorsman with stock E-Load is at.
The programmed pressure on a Rebel is 55 front, 45 rear. I'm not sure what level turns on the low light, but it's supposed to be 20% less (44 front, 36 rear).

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I've been very happy with the Toyo AT3s in an E load on previous trucks. I plan to throw them on my Ram when it's time

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been very happy with the Toyo AT3s in an E load on previous trucks. I plan to throw them on my Ram when it's time
I haven't been unhappy with them.....but it's time for something different. Also, be aware that there are a couple "AT3" models. I have the AT3 XLT.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I haven't been unhappy with them.....but it's time for something different. Also, be aware that there are a couple "AT3" models. I have the AT3 XLT.
You're talking about Coopers (I have the same currently, were on it when I bought it, the AT3 XLTs. I don't care for them), I'm talking Toyo Open Country ATIII

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
This is my next set of tires, the Open Country AT3s. Mainly because I'm going up to 35", and this model is among the few that has 35" and 11.5" width, which I want to maintain for clearance purposes, and to keep them lighter as well. In fact, when I compared several tires, I found Toyos in general to be lighter than all others.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
This is my next set of tires, the Open Country AT3s. Mainly because I'm going up to 35", and this model is among the few that has 35" and 11.5" width, which I want to maintain for clearance purposes, and to keep them lighter as well. In fact, when I compared several tires, I found Toyos in general to be lighter than all others.
That's exactly why I'm sticking with the Toyos. You get the 10 or 12ply strength but the lightest weight in the class to maintain halfway decent fuel mileage. Been looking at the 35x11.50s myself

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My door sticker indicates 39psi front & rear, and I set the tires to 40psi, cold, front and rear and the ride is smooth.
I have zero feathering, scalloping, and center wear. My treads wear even across the entire surface of the tread with full road contact based on the visual indicators.
I am also extremely diligent on maintaining accurate 40psi cold tire pressure; check & adjust at least once a month. Plus I get annual alignments, too.

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're talking about Coopers (I have the same currently, were on it when I bought it, the AT3 XLTs. I don't care for them), I'm talking Toyo Open Country ATIII
Ah...bingo. Ok! Toyos were OEM on our '16. They were ok, but noisy/hard at 50k miles. All it took was one fishtail at a stoplight in the rain, with my wife driving, for me to get new tires (happy wife, happy life stuff).

Laps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do yearly trips out West for off road exploring (overlanding) and I currently have 40K miles on the stock Toyo's of which about 5,000 miles is specifically off road. I'm very pleased with them and will be going with the Toyo AT3's when it's time to replace the present set of tires.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I've been happy with my Cooper AT3s E rated from Walmart. Had them a year and a half.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm about to replace my OEM Toyo's on my'17, likely going with Falken Wildpeak AT3/W.
I went with the same tires. Huge upgrade over the stock Toyo's. I was not a fan of the Toyo's. I'd say that there is slightly (very slight) less confidence in dry traction. But, they are much better in any wet condition, including snow.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
i really like my Yokohama Geolander ATs. Quiet, good wet/dry/snow traction. Not sure of load rating. Is a P series, not an LT.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
My TRX came with Goodyear Territory AT's. Wow, these are the quietest and nicest riding truck tires I've ever had. I have no idea the price or how long they will last but I'm impressed.

Attachments

• IMG_0461.jpeg
    IMG_0461.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 10

Mark Williton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's time for tires again. I run the stock size due to my Maxcare warranty.

I got 50k miles out of the OEM Toyos, and about 50k out of my current Cooper AT3 XLT. (both sets could do another 10k miles, but I don't like to run tires at the wear bars). Both the Toyos and Coopers got hard at the end of life, and loss of traction.

Any recommendations for nice riding E rated tires? Or even D or C (although I realize C tires require a lower air pressure than the computer is set for). I'm tired of such a hard ride.

I've run K02s on previous 4x4s and like them, but they are at the upper price range.
My ol lady has a 21 classic 1500 with the 17" rebel wheels. From ram they had Yokohama geolander a/t tires. O.E size was Lt265/70r17. They rode nice, were quiet, she got approx 70,000 miles out of them with diligent rotations and monthly pressure checks. For max life always inflate to pressure indicated on the sidewall(cold). However, with an Lt rated tire, (if your not max hauling) start at max psi and if a tad stif decrease 1 or 2 pounds and try again. However DO NOT go below 10% of recommended pressure