Tires for towing and DD duty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

terrible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it worth buying tires specific to towing?

We used to tow our 4700# hybrid camper with my wifes' Jeep grand Cherokee with he 5.7. When it needed tires I bought the cooper H/T plus that has a higher tow rating thinking that may help with a bit of the sway while on the high way at 60+ mph. Her vehicle has 18" wheels.

Now that we tow with my 2014 ram I don't feel any sway or issues that I can contribute to tires. Of course I'd love more power and all that but nothing tires are going to fix.

With that being said should I worry about tire build or buying higher tow rating tires for the truck? I have the factory 20" wheels as well.

My truck sees quite a lot of short trips and the current Master craft tires are about 5-8K from being dead. They are getting flat spots pretty bad from the lack of rubber. The poor truck never knows what it's in for. One minute a work trip is 20 minutes the next it's a 2 hour drive to the parking lot.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just buy tires that 1) are rated for the load you will tow, 2) fit your traction needs and 3) meet your aesthetic requirements.

There are all kinds of AT, hybrid and M/T tires out there that can do all three.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I just on some Cooper H/T plus for towing and DD. So far I like them but I'll never see snow.

Murdock188

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got the the fallen wildpeaks put on my truck, love them so far towed my tt a few hundred miles with no issues great wet traction and snow rated quiet and smooth for an at tire. 55 k tread life warranty. I've run all sorts of tires, I've been really impressed with these falkens so far. They are a little pricey but worth it IMO. They will certainly fit the bill for your application. Just my .02