To ceramic coat or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you ever have to have a panel or spot repainted after a repair be certain to tell the bodyshop you have a ceramic sealer on there. It has to be removed or the paint won't adhere probably otherwise.

bill-e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3l EcoDiesel 3rd Gen
The DIY coating ads are a little misleading. While the coating itself may be comparable to a professionally installed one, what really makes the coating look great is the surface prep, which by the way, is the largest part of the professional installation cost.

Personally if I wasn't going to do my own paint correction I would opt for one of the wipe on sprays.

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
The DIY coating ads are a little misleading. While the coating itself may be comparable to a professionally installed one, what really makes the coating look great is the surface prep, which by the way, is the largest part of the professional installation cost.

Personally if I wasn't going to do my own paint correction I would opt for one of the wipe on sprays.

What exactly is the paint correction doing? Curious.

bill-e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3l EcoDiesel 3rd Gen
Paint correction is preparing the paint so that it looks as good as possible. Removing all the scratches and blemishes as much as possible before applying the coating. Defects can be visually amplified by the coating.

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
Paint correction is preparing the paint so that it looks as good as possible. Removing all the scratches and blemishes as much as possible before applying the coating. Defects can be visually amplified by the coating.

Gotcha. Makes sense.

Thmw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi e-torque
So since i have a brand new 1500 paint correction isn't needed right? I can just do a simple wipe/spray on of the chosen product??

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I still would, even brand new cars may have say outside, or transport.
I did a brand new 2018 392 Daytona, right off the lot, and the difference was huge!

38411699_240512446591761_93104239458385920_n.jpg

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So since i have a brand new 1500 paint correction isn't needed right? I can just do a simple wipe/spray on of the chosen product??

Graygoose already mentioned it but the vehicle finish still gets wear and tear and still might need it. In particular most dealerships hire young kids with no detailing experience to clean, wash and wax the cars and that process wreaks havoc on the finishes of their new inventory.

If you're really OCD, many pro detailers will tell you that the best thing to do is factory order and tell the dealer not to remove the plastic that comes with the vehicle from the factory. Your detailer does it and it saves alot of the paint correction work.

Perferd

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good call on telling the dealer not to fully unwrap and have the vehicle detailed. I never thought of that and am now emailing my dealer to do that. The plan was to send the truck for tinting and a detail on their end but I'll just tell them to have the tint done and that's it. From there I'll take.it straight to my detailer who will do a paint enhancement then a detail while I maintain it for a year to save for a full correction and coating...

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Excellent decision!!!!!!
Jay

Mike0565

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an appointment to have my 16' CC laramie done professionally in late May. Doing paint correction, glass, plastic, and something for the wheels, (heat treated) or something like that. It's supposed to last for 3yrs with a refresher for the following 2yrs. The one question I have is, after the 3rd year and it's reached its protective limits, can I go back to waxing?

bill-e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3l EcoDiesel 3rd Gen
How long the coating lasts depends on a lot of things, climate, care etc. If you do regular maintenance, depending on conditions it could last 2 years or 4 years. Having said that, once the ceramic properties are gone then yes, you can go back to wax, or one of the growing list of quality spray on ceramic products.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I am about to do a ceramic coating on a neighbors Durango next weekend and possibly finally doing it on mine lol .... I am going to be doing all paint correction this coming week on my truck and will take my time doing so ... ooooh yeah .... I have to remove some water spots from my wheels as well and will coat those fawkers too ...

Mike0565

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How long the coating lasts depends on a lot of things, climate, care etc. If you do regular maintenance, depending on conditions it could last 2 years or 4 years. Having said that, once the ceramic properties are gone then yes, you can go back to wax, or one of the growing list of quality spray on ceramic products.
Thanks

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO--the new Graphene coating is worth a look if you have a choice.
Jay

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
IMHO--the new Graphene coating is worth a look if you have a choice.
Jay

Only thing about graphene is that you have to have a completely flat surface for it to work correctly ... one high spot can ruin the whole coating .... right now graphene is still not up to par with ceramic coating ....

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That has not been my experience with the SPS Graphene Coating. I like it almost as well as Polish Angel. Any high spots no matter what coating you use will ruin your day. Gotta check carefully.
Jay

BROWNMATHTEACHER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Bighorn Lonestar
Engine
5.7 liter hemi
I had my 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn coated professionally in mid March 2021. I have to do a maintenance procedure once a year with the detailer that coated the truck as part of my warranty.

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG