To swap or not that is the question...

Better 5.7 Reman Motor

• Jasper

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Powertrain

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NSalerno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First time Posting been in a dodge truck since 97 at 18YO. Recently, I bought a 2010 ram 1500 w/200,000 on the 5.7 Vvt:Ecc 4X4 with Laramie, tow group package sunroof and the truck boxes (which are sweet) love this truck. Lots here please just advise where you can

Anyway, after chasing codes for 3weeks, Cylinder 3 leaking oil/coolant into it. Local Dodge dealership ran diagnostic says engine toast. Decided to buy Reman Motor from Jasper or Powertrain. Jasper more expensive, and local shops coming in high on my warranty of only $5,000.00. Estimates around 8,000.00. I’m pretty sure I could do it and not fast but can’t really tell if if it’s worth it or how much difference I’d save, and I don’t know anything as tow which re-manufactured between a Jasper and the Powertrain ? Install package and new intake. When I swap what else should I mod or upgrade

image.jpg

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
So Jasper is a decently recognizable name as I hear their name quite a lot when it comes to swapping hemis, as far as I know they’re pretty good. I personally haven’t heard any complaints whatsoever. If I remember right Jasper engines come with some sort of warranty already as long as its installed by a dodge dealer or a mechanic they approve, IIRC

Is the second one Powertrain Products? If it is I’ve heard that brand before but don’t have any experience with them. Their slogan is “we fix Dodge’s mistakes” and honestly I’ve given them some thought when it comes to replacing my 3.7 if it comes to that. On their website they give a rundown of quite a few faults and how they’ve strengthened those weak spots, which is pretty cool. Hopefully some other folks have experience with em. Powertrain Products also has their own warranty, I think they may go up to 7 year unlimited mile warranty. Not sure if the warranty requires the dealer or an approved mechanic tho

Dont take my word for anything though cuz my memory about this is severely lacking lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I live 5 miles from Jasper engine Exchange, so obviously, I'm biased towards the Jasper. The Jasper engine will also have a few changes/upgrades that your OEM engine won't.

The big one for me is, the Jasper pistons have a thicker top land. In theory at least, the thicker top land suggests the Jasper Engine would possibly work better with Forced Induction.

I know the Jasper engine has a warranty. I'm just too lazy to look it up. I do know for a fact that Jasper Engine Exchange is a growing company. They have cutting edge equipment. They do some really cool stuff there.

If you go with the Jasper, please post your experience. I'd like to hear about it.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
truck has 200k on it if it was me id yank both heads check cam lifters and have the heads shaved/check for cracks and throw a set of head gaskets on it and be done. Or I would throw a low mileage motor in from a wreck and be done Then again im cheap Lol

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My question is if they have definitely determined it is a cracked block or a head gasket, path forward as a rebuild could be a lot cheaper than a new engine but if that is what you want to do, the wish you well, I don't have experience with those builds. I would consider finding a used car dealer who could get you a salvage truck, you could part out some things to make some money back and still get a great engine cheaper than a remanufactured or a brand new engine. Good luck.

OP
OP
N

NSalerno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
truck has 200k on it if it was me id yank both heads check cam lifters and have the heads shaved/check for cracks and throw a set of head gaskets on it and be done. Or I would throw a low mileage motor in from a wreck and be done Then again im cheap Lol

OP
OP
N

NSalerno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My friend
So Jasper is a decently recognizable name as I hear their name quite a lot when it comes to swapping hemis, as far as I know they’re pretty good. I personally haven’t heard any complaints whatsoever. If I remember right Jasper engines come with some sort of warranty already as long as its installed by a dodge dealer or a mechanic they approve, IIRC

Is the second one Powertrain Products? If it is I’ve heard that brand before but don’t have any experience with them. Their slogan is “we fix Dodge’s mistakes” and honestly I’ve given them some thought when it comes to replacing my 3.7 if it comes to that. On their website they give a rundown of quite a few faults and how they’ve strengthened those weak spots, which is pretty cool. Hopefully some other folks have experience with em. Powertrain Products also has their own warranty, I think they may go up to 7 year unlimited mile warranty. Not sure if the warranty requires the dealer or an approved mechanic tho

Dont take my word for anything though cuz my memory about this is severely lacking lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

NSalerno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it is Powertrain. Both reps are great and informative but the local dealership is dragging there. Haven’t even sent me quote. I’ve sent multiple emails,called, for a minute the Jasper and Powertrain folks were relaying to me from the dealership. I’m really close to pulling trigger on doing it myself. The warranty company Route 66 needs to sign off tho

OP
OP
N

NSalerno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live 5 miles from Jasper engine Exchange, so obviously, I'm biased towards the Jasper. The Jasper engine will also have a few changes/upgrades that your OEM engine won't.

The big one for me is, the Jasper pistons have a thicker top land. In theory at least, the thicker top land suggests the Jasper Engine would possibly work better with Forced Induction.

I know the Jasper engine has a warranty. I'm just too lazy to look it up. I do know for a fact that Jasper Engine Exchange is a growing company. They have cutting edge equipment. They do some really cool stuff there.

If you go with the Jasper, please post your experience. I'd like to hear about it.

OP
OP
N

NSalerno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great warranties on both. Powertrain does have a no fault option, in the event I tune it, everything covered.

Jasper Rep is great so far and Powertrain too.

OP
OP
N

NSalerno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My question is if they have definitely determined it is a cracked block or a head gasket, path forward as a rebuild could be a lot cheaper than a new engine but if that is what you want to do, the wish you well, I don't have experience with those builds. I would consider finding a used car dealer who could get you a salvage truck, you could part out some things to make some money back and still get a great engine cheaper than a remanufactured or a brand new engine. Good luck.

Mleads310

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the power train in my ram for approx 3k miles. So far so good. Easy to coordinate with, sent everything needed, core return was a breeze and I added the no fault 7yr 100k warranty. Honestly Im happy so far, I basically have a 2013/2020 ram 1500. I'm happy.