To those with 20 inch chrome clads...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan51993

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys this is my first post but definitely won't be my last, I'm the owner of a 2016 ram 1500 with the 20 inch chrome clad wheels. Up until now my wheels have been holding up really well and I've had zero issues with them. Well I had my trusted mechanic do a brake job and tire rotation and it came back with one hub cap cracked almost all the way around the bolts. I mentioned it immediately and he tried telling me its a well known issue and happens to everyone with these wheels. So my question for you guys who have these wheels is whether or not this is really a common occurrence or if he actually wrecked my wheels and is just trying to avoid paying? I've looked and looked and found absolutely nothing online about the chrome clads randomly cracking apart. If they really are that fragile and all my wheels are going to end up this way I won't push it with the guy and I'll just go aftermarket. Otherwise its going to cost me around 200$ just for a used wheel because as far as I can tell the hub caps aren't replaceable so I really want to know if I should be going after this guy for the money.. Any input is appreciated, thanks!!

Naldo1710

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys this is my first post but definitely won't be my last, I'm the owner of a 2016 ram 1500 with the 20 inch chrome clad wheels. Up until now my wheels have been holding up really well and I've had zero issues with them. Well I had my trusted mechanic do a brake job and tire rotation and it came back with one hub cap cracked almost all the way around the bolts. I mentioned it immediately and he tried telling me its a well known issue and happens to everyone with these wheels. So my question for you guys who have these wheels is whether or not this is really a common occurrence or if he actually wrecked my wheels and is just trying to avoid paying? I've looked and looked and found absolutely nothing online about the chrome clads randomly cracking apart. If they really are that fragile and all my wheels are going to end up this way I won't push it with the guy and I'll just go aftermarket. Otherwise its going to cost me around 200$ just for a used wheel because as far as I can tell the hub caps aren't replaceable so I really want to know if I should be going after this guy for the money.. Any input is appreciated, thanks!!

If the mechanic broke it he has to fix it. If it is a known issue, they should had told you BEFORE starting the work in order to make you aware of it. For example radiator hoses that are old tend to crack when you replace other components. A good place will tell the customer that and prepare the customer for some potential costs due to damage that is known to occur. I think your mechanic is full of it and I would not go back to him.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2012 with chrome clads ... I change em out twice a year in the spring and fall for my summer wheels, and I have never had an issue ... Also have never seen that issue mentioned here ... To be honest, the chrome finish has held up amazingly well through 6 Ohio winters ... Any way, I’m gonna say the meathead over-torqued them with the impact gun, and broke the chrome clad ... To take this one step further, while over-torque is not good for your wheels, it way worse for your new rotors ... I’d back em all off, and torque them properly to 125 ft-lbs ... Then go back and tell the guy he owes you a new wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Agree with the others. It's not a known problem, and he screwed up. If it was a known problem, he should have taken extra steps to prevent it from happening or like @Naldo1710 said, he should have advised you that it was a possibility and he wouldn't be responsible before he did the work. Not sure how much trouble it will ultimately be to collect, but he owes you a new wheel.

** Edit ** Welcome to the forum BTW.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m with Bowersfj.
I also have a 12 that just hit 90k miles. I rotate my tires at every oil change (3 to 5k miles), and all 4 of my chrome clads look great.
Here’s a pic from a few weeks ago when I put on the new tires. Rims are a little dirty, but no cracks.
f2129fd63bf5ebe2e93036673170baf7.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Sounds to me like they zipped the lug nuts on with an impact and cracked the plastic in the process.

Make them get you new wheel(s), then never go back there again.

I once watched Town Fair Tire (a popular "discount" tire chain near me) put the lug nuts back on my dads Crown Vic with an air impact. Sure enough 6 months later when we need to change the brakes, one of the lug studs was cross threaded and snapped when we tried to take the wheel off. Of course we had to fix that ourselves....on a Sunday....in the rain. Needless to say, I refuse to even walk into one of their stores anymore.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have seen a total of 2 cracked chrome claddings in the 15 years they have been released for Ram Trucks.

Your "mechanic" is full of sh*t and should be honest and cover the cost.

If it were me, I'd remove the chrome cladding from the rest of the wheels. Clean the paint up under the cladding and run with the satin silver wheels. Then I would Plasti Dip the covers.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a Chrysler Pacifica, 2006, 195000 miles. The Chrome Clad wheels on that look great. I know the design is different, but these things hold up amazingly well.

OP
OP
R

Ryan51993

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow I'm blown away by all the quality responses on this forum you guys are great!! You all pretty much confirmed exactly what I was thinking. After reading your responses I felt confident in calling the guy up and saying look I did my research you're full of **** I want to be compensated or I'll see you in small claims and he took the full cost of a new wheel plus mounting/balancing off my bill. Thanks a lot everyone!!

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Way to go ... I luv it ... Didn’t take you long ...

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Theres kinda a void in-between the clad and the wheel itself, just from glue.
The kid who mounted new tires on my 08 used a cone on the front to hold the wheel on the machine while removing tire, that caused the plastic to flex and crack off the chrome.
I dont see how lug nuts could have done this as they bottom out on the wheel not the clad, he had to apply pressure to the clad or used it as a jack stand lol.
Were the tires rebalanced at all?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Same as all above said. ALSO< make sure You tell Mechanic to not IMPACT them on, but to snug them, THEN USE Torque wrench to 130 Ft Lbs... My SA at Dealership knows me and my thoughts. I even carry torque with me and prior to leaving, get out my wrench and check torque in front of SA with my wrench with 6 Point 22 MM socket, and confirm torque. IF they hammer them on, might take (2) big *** grown men to use a cheater bar to get em off. Ask me how I know, <LOL>, had that problem on an F150 on side of highway.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen em PEEL especially between the lugs but never CRACK
I'd tell him to talk to you or your lawyer...his choice

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've seen em PEEL especially between the lugs but never CRACK
I'd tell him to talk to you or your lawyer...his choice

Post #9 ... Issue resolved

Whammo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Agree with the rest of the folks I've got a 2016 w/thre same wheels - they have been flawless.

ShotCaller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
He probably won't admit his mistake, so be prepared to go to small claims court to get him to pay.
Do you have any real proof that he did it? It might be hard to get any money back in this case.

** Just saw post #9..... Glad it worked out for you !

Last edited:

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
He probably won't admit his mistake, so be prepared to go to small claims court to get him to pay.
Do you have any real proof that he did it? It might be hard to get any money back in this case.

Again, post #9, issue resolved ... Lol

ShotCaller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
yea just saw # 9. Glad it worked out for you !!

Ibsledge

Military
Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I owned 2 different rams with that set of rims . One I had for 7 1/2 years that was parked in the driveway daily in the hot sun . Never had a issue and when I traded they thought it was still new.

Jonnyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5 th Ram since 2013. All clad wheels. Damaged two times when getting new tires installed and fixing a flat. Otherwise they hold up great. Before any tire service I make the service writer walk the truck with me and confirm no damage. Another instance all the lug nuts were damaged beyond use. I had a tire rotation and a rear end service in the two weeks prior. Couldn’t prove who did it. Always check before service