Tonneau cover or Cap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big_Papa_R

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
I think both have positives and negatives. Cap is great for storage. But harder to take off an store. I have a hard flip up tonneau cover. Works for me. But I use my truck box alot and can take off and put on in about 5 mins by myself.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I am a fan of Canopies on trucks. With the High Rise Vista from Range Rider I can back the quad in under it, everything dry and out of sight. Double clamps on the rear to keep it from moving in rough country. Also handy to have opening work windows on both sides. If you remove your canopy it is wise to put a 2x4 with a stopper on the front and the back to keep the canopy from spreading out. If you put eye bolts in each corner of the 2x4 one guy with a black and tackle can pull it up into the rafters to remove and store it.

This is one idea but I prefer the stopper.frame 2x4 design and tied together version in the second clip.

yunnust.jpg

re6w2dN.jpg

9mSdPYB.jpg

Exact same setup on my 1996. The Range Rider, made in British Colombia, has been on it since new.

lcgHoYG.jpg

Big_Papa_R

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Those are nice canopy set ups. With I had the garage height.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Those are nice canopy set ups. With I had the garage height.
My 96 fit in a garage with a 7' door. The 2021, the house we have now has standard 8' doors and it fits in just fine. The new truck is enough taller that I don't think it would fit in a 7' door but luckily those aren't real common around here and it is actually pretty easy to make one into an 8' if you need to.

JD522

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife recently traded the family vehicle in on a Challenger Scat Pack. So, this year's beach trip will have to be in my crew cab truck. I had a tri-fold hard cover on a previous truck and liked it. I have no idea what brand as it was installed on the truck when I bought it. Anyway, I've been looking at available brands and Gator and Bakflip seem to be popular. But, some reviews mention them not being water tight. My old one was. If you have or have had one, how much water is common to see in the bed when driving in hard rain? Do any of you have a folding hard cover that doesn't leak?

Also, I had not considered roll-up covers. Are they more or less water tight? Are they easier or more difficult to install/remove? Any brand recommendations? I see one for Truxedo.

I'm not interested in a non-folding hard top or cap, as I don't want my bed covered 99% of the time and don't want to deal with where to store a large cover/cap.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife recently traded the family vehicle in on a Challenger Scat Pack. So, this year's beach trip will have to be in my crew cab truck. I had a tri-fold hard cover on a previous truck and liked it. I have no idea what brand as it was installed on the truck when I bought it. Anyway, I've been looking at available brands and Gator and Bakflip seem to be popular. But, some reviews mention them not being water tight. My old one was. If you have or have had one, how much water is common to see in the bed when driving in hard rain? Do any of you have a folding hard cover that doesn't leak?

Also, I had not considered roll-up covers. Are they more or less water tight? Are they easier or more difficult to install/remove? Any brand recommendations? I see one for Truxedo.

I'm not interested in a non-folding hard top or cap, as I don't want my bed covered 99% of the time and don't want to deal with where to store a large cover/cap.
I personally have full size fiberglass tonneau cover, but what works for me. I have hooks in garage and I can unhook and pull the Cover in 5 minutes. But it is a Two Person Operation for sure. But what works for me. I can see Caps where U needed all the height and storage and out hunting. CRASH had that nice cap and the lighting, was outstanding. Guess just depends on use, LOL. If I had to do over, I would have done a roll n lock, though they R not watertight, again what ppl need. I would think pulling a cap off a truck would be a 2 person operation also, unless U had some type of pulley system or whateva in a garage or equivalent. All IMHO.

ADDED: I know I am off topic ref caps but wanted to post this alternative for PPL that may be looking for something like this than a cap.

CAVEAT: If I need to get something big, I just get out my 14 X 5 stock trailer and load that sucker up, LOL.IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0840.JPGIMG_0862.JPG

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A huge pro for having a topper during hunting season aside being able accessing your stuff while keeping it out of the elements, actually being able to see it.View attachment 248873
I added these LED tape lights to the top of my Leer 100XL and it lights up the entire bed when out in the complete darkness while hunting. No more looking for something using flashlights, the factory cargo/bed lights leave much to be desired and dark spots. The topper also locks/unlocks with the tailgate.
There is four easy to remove clamps and a plug to pull the topper, it weighs under 200 lbs.
Friggin outstanding setup there, looks great. Definitely utilitarian for your needs.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The hard covers are great for sure, i am switching to a cap mostly for a change. Hopefully some camping in it too.
I hope the bugs are less annoying where you camp. :)
I recall camping with my first truck in the 80s at Algonquin Park. Sleeping under the cap didn't prevent my donating blood all night long. LOL