Tonneau Cover & sprayed on bed liner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stylie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hello just asking for opinions about tonneau covers or spray on bed liners. Positives & negatives for each one. And what brand is the best, best for the money?

lAWROSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck cam with spray on liner. I hate it. And all my other trucks with the plastic liners I always removed. I like the beds stock. Thats what its made for . scoop out dirt and mulch and rocks easy IMO. Plus the plastic liners retain water underneath and rot the bed. My experience anyway.

Tonneau covers? I always get the tri folds. Chevy I just sold the cover was still in good shape after 6 years with it on. The ram I got this tyger cover. Very hight quality.

mine was 228$ for the 2020 long bed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXC2BOR?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spray on bed liner is always a must for me. As for a bed cover that is a must as well. Prefer the hard tri folding covers for their security, looks, and function.

Message me if you would like a quote on any bed covers. We offer most brands and great pricing.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just recently I bought a new bed cover on my 2014 replacing my original that had started to come apart after after years of great service. My post on that is https://www.ramforum.com/threads/friend-of-my-ram-has-passed.180467/

I never liked spray on bed liners so I put a BedRug on a month after purchase in 14. It still looks great and you can see a picture of it in my post above. It Cushing's items in the bed and helps keeping things from sliding around. When it gets a bit dirty I just take the truck to the self car wash and use the high pressure wand to clean it. The BedRug has a thick rubber backing which keeps water from reaching the bed itself.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Rhino Liner or Line-X for the sprayed in bed liner, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. It comes down to how well the shop does the install, they're both hot sprayed polyurethane.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want to help resist rust in the bed then a spray in liner is better than the plastic drop in liners as moisture can get trapped under the plastic liner and rot the bed easier plus they can vibrate and rub the paint amplifying the rust.

Tonneau covers can cost anywhere from $200 up to $1500+ depending on style you want. The hard flip up covers are the best for security reasons but limit what you can put in the bed and cost a fortune. There's hard tri-fold covers that are good and fairly secure and can cost upwards of $1k. The soft tri-fold covers are easy to remove from the truck but can restrict bed space when left on and folded open when not needed and can cost $200 to $500. There are soft roll up covers which probably are the least secure style but gives you full access to the bed when rolled up and cost about $200 to $300.

I had a soft tri-fold on my 11 Ram and loved it and I currently have a soft roll up cover on my new 21 Ram and I'm loving this one too. The roll up cover I got from Amazon for $179 shipped to my doorstep.

It's just a matter of what you want to spend and which style you prefer

Johnny_B-Good

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an EXTang solid fold on my 2010 Laramie. Which is quite a few years old, but has held up nicely. And it gives me no problems what so ever. I've been looking at spray in liners. Line X specifically. So come spring (before I gotta haul mulch and dirt), I'm likely to pull the trigger and get it done. Good luck no matter which way you go with your ride... :)

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the LoMaxx tonneau cover on my truck and love it! It is super low-profile and looks great. I picked it up from Nick@gotexhaust for a smoking deal too. Could never go back to having no bed cover. Only takes a few seconds to pull it off if I have to load something into the back on my truck. Pull the string and its done. Just don't do it when its 100+ degrees outside and your truck has been sitting in the sun. That will burn your hands quick haha.

As for the bed liner. Go sprayed in for sure. Line-x or Inyati all the way. I have had Inyati and Line-X and both of them are very durable but what is really important to me is that they make stuff not slide around in the bed. Having a lifted truck, getting in the bed SUCKS! If I put a cardboard box in the bed, it will stay where I put it with the bed liner.

edit: I just looked up inyati, looks like they are a local company to me. Bummer, their liners are great.

MaxGig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I prefer the spray in bed liner and the soft fabric tonneau covers. The tri fold covers take up space when opened and you actually lose cargo room. I've had my soft cover on my recently traded F150 for over 2 yrs and it held up nicely. I park my truck outside mostly and haven't had any concerns with snow or with it leaking.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’ve had Line-X installed on 4 trucks and my 21’ 2500 came with the 5th wheel prep and MOPAR sprayed liner. It’s the only type of bedliner I would ever have.
Just ordered a soft trifold tonneau which I think is going to work fine with my 5th wheel. Fortunately, I have about 7 inches of clearance between my side rails and the RV.

OP
OP
Stylie

Stylie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just recently I bought a new bed cover on my 2014 replacing my original that had started to come apart after after years of great service. My post on that is https://www.ramforum.com/threads/friend-of-my-ram-has-passed.180467/

I never liked spray on bed liners so I put a BedRug on a month after purchase in 14. It still looks great and you can see a picture of it in my post above. It Cushing's items in the bed and helps keeping things from sliding around. When it gets a bit dirty I just take the truck to the self car wash and use the high pressure wand to clean it. The BedRug has a thick rubber backing which keeps water from reaching the bed itself.

Rhino Liner or Line-X for the sprayed in bed liner, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. It comes down to how well the shop does the install, they're both hot sprayed polyur
Rhino Liner or Line-X for the sprayed in bed liner, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. It comes down to how well the shop does the install, they're both hot sprayed polyurethane.
What time of Rhino Liner would you suggest? I see there a few different types of liners they offer. I might put dirt, mulch and some other type of landscape material in it. Have you heard of Bullet spray in liners?

OP
OP
Stylie

Stylie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What time of Rhino Liner would you suggest? I see that they have different types. I might put dirt, mulch and some other type of landscape material in it. Have you heard of Bullet spray in liners?

OP
OP
Stylie

Stylie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the LoMaxx tonneau cover on my truck and love it! It is super low-profile and looks great. I picked it up from Nick@gotexhaust for a smoking deal too. Could never go back to having no bed cover. Only takes a few seconds to pull it off if I have to load something into the back on my truck. Pull the string and its done. Just don't do it when its 100+ degrees outside and your truck has been sitting in the sun. That will burn your hands quick haha.

As for the bed liner. Go sprayed in for sure. Line-x or Inyati all the way. I have had Inyati and Line-X and both of them are very durable but what is really important to me is that they make stuff not slide around in the bed. Having a lifted truck, getting in the bed SUCKS! If I put a cardboard box in the bed, it will stay where I put it with the bed liner.

edit: I just looked up inyati, looks like they are a local company to me. Bummer, their liners are great.
I'm guessing you found out the hard way not to take it off when it's been hot out. lol Do you have a preference on which Line X for some reason their site is down right now. gggrrrrr. I know I have Bullet Liner & a Rhino dealer near me so I'm not sure if there in a Line X.

OP
OP
Stylie

Stylie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you want to help resist rust in the bed then a spray in liner is better than the plastic drop in liners as moisture can get trapped under the plastic liner and rot the bed easier plus they can vibrate and rub the paint amplifying the rust.

Tonneau covers can cost anywhere from $200 up to $1500+ depending on style you want. The hard flip up covers are the best for security reasons but limit what you can put in the bed and cost a fortune. There's hard tri-fold covers that are good and fairly secure and can cost upwards of $1k. The soft tri-fold covers are easy to remove from the truck but can restrict bed space when left on and folded open when not needed and can cost $200 to $500. There are soft roll up covers which probably are the least secure style but gives you full access to the bed when rolled up and cost about $200 to $300.

I had a soft tri-fold on my 11 Ram and loved it and I currently have a soft roll up cover on my new 21 Ram and I'm loving this one too. The roll up cover I got from Amazon for $179 shipped to my doorstep.

It's just a matter of what you want to spend and which style you prefer
Defiantly want to protect the bed from wear n tear plus rust. Do you know the brands of your Tonneau cover?

OP
OP
Stylie

Stylie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Spray on bed liner is always a must for me. As for a bed cover that is a must as well. Prefer the hard tri folding covers for their security, looks, and function.

Message me if you would like a quote on any bed covers. We offer most brands and great pricing.
I just looked on your site & couldn't find anything for the 2022 Ram trucks.

My dad had BedRug in his trucks but I'm gonna be using it more for carrying dirt, mulch in such so I'm not sure how well that would work for me. And do you know what also works well for removing debris the BedRug is a horse brush.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What time of Rhino Liner would you suggest? I see that they have different types. I might put dirt, mulch and some other type of landscape material in it. Have you heard of Bullet spray in liners?
Whether you get one that's color matched or not, it mostly personal preference. I just have the standard version and happy with it.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Defiantly want to protect the bed from wear n tear plus rust. Do you know the brands of your Tonneau cover?
The soft tri-fold cover I had on my 11 Ram was from Gator and was about $300ish. The soft roll up cover I'm currently using on my 21 Ram is a MaxMate which I got from amazon for $179. I would still have the tri-fold cover but I was told that the 4th gen beds are different and cant be used on my new 5th gen. Since I needed to purchase a new one I decided to go with the roll up cover as it give me full access to the bed without removing it entirely like the tri-fold. Plus it was cheaper lol. 20210702_110625.jpg

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I had a 2016 with a plastic bed liner and hated it because stuff would slide all over. My 2020 has a spray in liner which is a little better but stuff still slides. I decided to put a rubber mat in both to prevent the slide issue and in my new truck it keeps the bed liner looking like new. What's nice about a spray in liner is you can wash out the bed and not worry about rust build up under a plastic liner. As for a cover, I had a gator rollup for my 2016 but decided I wanted more security with my new truck so I purchased an Extang Tri fold. It is pretty heavy duty but install is easy and its locking system seem pretty stout. Good Luck

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just looked on your site & couldn't find anything for the 2022 Ram trucks.

My dad had BedRug in his trucks but I'm gonna be using it more for carrying dirt, mulch in such so I'm not sure how well that would work for me. And do you know what also works well for removing debris the BedRug is a horse brush.
The BedRug, being spun plastic has never caused any issues with dirt for me. When it gets dirty a trip to the car wash takes care of it. I just put the tailgate down and use the high pressure hose to wash the rug starting from the bulkhead and working my way to the tailgate.

Another advantage of the BedRug is that crawling around in the bed is painless on the knees.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Plastic liners are garbage. I had one in my Super Duty and hated it. Might as well coat your bed in Teflon, everything slides around. I had Line-X sprayed in my old GMC 3/4 ton and in my current Ram. Much better. It's grippy, it protects the bed, and if it does get gouged or damaged they will fix it for free.

I like my tri-fold cover. I helped a friend move a dresser today. It was raining so we flipped the cover open, loaded it, then closed the cover to keep it dry. If you need the full bed it's nothing to remove and put in the garage for the day. I can do it alone in a few minutes, tops. Two people can do it near instantly.