Tonneau Covers and Fuel mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
nope, cover makes NO difference in top end or mileage, you're kidding yourself if you believe it does.

Well, I do enjoy some self induced jocularity on occasion.

I also enjoy a little basic science.

Stick your hand out the window at 100 mph. Now change the angle of your hand.
Then stick a tail gate out the window...............see where I am going with this?
Life and science is a matter of degrees. Does not matter if it is 1 degree or 90. Everything has an effect on everything around it.

Or not LOL

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Well, I do enjoy some self induced jocularity on occasion.

I also enjoy a little basic science.

Stick your hand out the window at 100 mph. Now change the angle of your hand.
Then stick a tail gate out the window...............see where I am going with this?
Life and science is a matter of degrees. Does not matter if it is 1 degree or 90. Everything has an effect on everything around it.

Or not LOL

That works if you are trying to compare the front of the truck but this is the bed, a better comparison is to stick your hand behind the side mirror at 100 mph and turn it anyway you want - no difference. That's the effect of the truck cab. As you move your hand back further from the mirror, you will eventually feel the air moving near the top of it. My guess is that's about where the Ram engineers have designed the air flow to be at the rear of the bed.

If you move your hand a bit further back you will feel more and more push on it. If you used a dish with sides and bottom instead of your hand, I'll bet you could move it a bit farther back than your hand as the air will build a higher pressure area at the back of the dish and force the air flow over the dish with little resistance until the dish is moved even farther back than your hand.

That's what all the air tunnel results seem to be showing.

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
[QUOTE="avantiguy, post: 2171653, member: 39256"

If you move your hand a bit further back you will feel more and more push on it. If you used a dish with sides and bottom instead of your hand, I'll bet you could move it a bit farther back than your hand as the air will build a higher pressure area at the back of the dish and force the air flow over the dish with little resistance until the dish is moved even farther back than your hand.

That's what all the air tunnel results seem to be showing.[/QUOTE]

I tried this ... now I owe my wife a few more dishes. The real issues started around 60MPH. I never got to 100... twice.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like how important it is to some folks that tonneau covers "don't improve mpg" :birgits_tiredcoffee

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
[QUOTE="avantiguy, post: 2171653, member: 39256"

I tried this ... now I owe my wife a few more dishes. The real issues started around 60MPH. I never got to 100... twice.[/QUOTE]
Well that explains where that chunk of fine china in my tire came from. Next time just use the walmart stuff.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That works if you are trying to compare the front of the truck but this is the bed, a better comparison is to stick your hand behind the side mirror at 100 mph and turn it anyway you want - no difference. That's the effect of the truck cab. As you move your hand back further from the mirror, you will eventually feel the air moving near the top of it. My guess is that's about where the Ram engineers have designed the air flow to be at the rear of the bed.

Hmm Well I replied to this. But its not here?? Try again.

I agree with what you are saying 100% except for the last line.

Humor me here.;)

Load your empty bed, no cover of any kind with:
1. Cinder Block
2. A 2x2 cardboard box weighing 5 pounds.
3. A 2x2 cardboard box that is empty.
4 A 8.5 x 11 piece of paper.

Go down the road at 25, 50, 75 and 100.

How many objects will still be in the bed?

Based on the "airflow" video, it would seem all would remain.

I am thinking just the cinder block.

My point? Its all a matter of degrees.

Also, I stand by my original post concerning my ole Dodge Dakota and the tailgate at 100 + MPH.

Have fun.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it makes NO difference, then why do NASCAR truck series trucks have a covered bed? Of coarse, they are traveling at higher speeds, and have aero packages that change airflow significantly over a stock truck, but for them it is more an issue of aerodynamics and airflow, which ultimately equates to efficiency, i.e. coefficient of drag and better/higher speed. But then again, for us, less drag and better fuel economy. Although at our speeds, the difference I have noticed is so small I will never recover the cost of the cover.
But what the hey, it looks good and protects my bed and the stuff in it. :33:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Do tonneau covers really improve your fuel efficiency??
Not interested in what the brochure says!!
I'm wanting to know real world experience.
Do tonneau covers really help with fuel mileage??

Blue Mule

I've had mine for a few months and there is no noticeable difference. But if you think about it, there has to be, right? I mean you don't have that air banging into the tailgate when driving on the freeway. Either way, I have roughly the same commute everyday and mine was around 18mpg before and it's around 18mpg now. The difference might be about .1 or .2 mpg. And that depends on freeway driving, etc. But that's a guess.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I've had mine for a few months and there is no noticeable difference. But if you think about it, there has to be, right? I mean you don't have that air banging into the tailgate when driving on the freeway. Either way, I have roughly the same commute everyday and mine was around 18mpg before and it's around 18mpg now. The difference might be about .1 or .2 mpg. And that depends on freeway driving, etc. But that's a guess.
That's because the air isn't banging against your tailgate. The air flow drops and hits pretty much the top of the tailgate. And if you take a look, you will notice the small lip/spoiler designed on the trailing edge of the tailgate, right where the air stream meets the truck after coming over the roof.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My f150 seemed to gain a little with a roll up cover. Before best I managed was 19.8 on the dash and the following year 21.5 while on the same trek to Daytona.

Now my ram on the other hand lost at least 1 mpg with my new topper with ladder racks.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does lowering a pickup truck tailgate improve fuel economy?
We test how the tailgate and tonneau cover impact gas mileage
Published: August 12, 2013 11:00 AM

2013-Ram-1500-ATD-Studio-r

Find Ratings
Pickup trucks icon_lock.png
See Dealer Pricing
Truck owners have long debated how to improve the aerodynamics of the cargo bed and if doing so was worth the effort. Conventional wisdom dictates that an empty bed with the tailgate up would capture air flow and the added drag would reduce fuel economy. To get to the bottom of this myth, we ran a series of tests with our 2013 Dodge Ram V8.

The truck was fitted with an inline fuel meter, just as we do for our routine fuel economy tests. We tested the Ram on the highway at 65 mph with the tailgate up, tailgate down, and with a factory soft tonneau cover. The tests were performed following our usual procedure for testing highway fuel economy, including making runs in both directions. (Learn how we test cars.)

We found that adding a tonneau cover or lowering the tailgate hurt fuel economy, rather than helped it.

With the tailgate up and no tonneau, we got 22.3 mpg. Dropping the tailgate decreased efficiency to 21.5 mpg. That 4-percent difference means that driving the Ram all year exclusively on the highway could cost the owner an extra 20 gallons of gasoline. (In reality, this big workhorse is likely to see a mix of driving and a variety of chores, limiting the potential penalty.)

We found that covering the bed with a soft tonneau cover was even more detrimental, dropping fuel economy to 21.4 mpg.

Given that even the latest pickup trucks have an insatiable appetite for gasoline, it is natural that owners will want to maximize their fuel economy. Unfortunately, these tricks proved to be ineffective

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do Tonneau Covers Really Save Gas and Thus Improve MPG?
January 26, 2019 by Jason Hennessey
Do-Tonneau-Covers-Really-Save-Gas.jpg

One of the most prevalent ideas about tonneau covers is that they can really help you save when it comes to your mileage per gallon. The concept originates from the fact that the bed of the truck is such a large indentation that will literally collect airflow and increase the drag on the vehicle.

So, the line of reasoning states that a tonneau covers this airflow “hole” so that air can flow more evenly over and across the body of your truck, which will reduce the effort of the engine to propel the vehicle forward.

It’s the primary claim from many manufacturers that a tonneau can save you anywhere from 10 to 13 percent on your fuel economy. In most estimations, this can be a bit of an exaggeration and may only be attained in optimal situations.

Having said that, these products definitely increase the aerodynamics of your vehicle, so purchasing one with the understanding that gas economy is a potential advantage is perfectly reasonable.

Do Tonneau Covers Save Gas MythBusters
By now, you may have seen the episode of the Discovery Channel’s fact or fiction show, MythBusters, which took on many of the common beliefs about truck gas mileage. In the episode, they tested whether traveling with your tailgate down, using mesh tailgates, or even running your vehicle with the AC on would improve gas mileage. In this episode, they also asked the question, Do tonneau covers improve mpg?”

When it came to some of the other methods, the mpg gains were definitely myths, but there was a case for improved gas mileage when you opted to use a tonneau.

For the most part, using a tonneau definitely can make the truck more aerodynamic, and when you make a truck more aerodynamic, you reduce wind drag, which can help the engine work less during your driving sessions.

So, do tonneau covers save gas? Well, as it turns out, using one can definitely make a difference, but as a general rule, the faster you drive, the more savings you’ll see.

For example, at a blistering speed of 85 miles per hour, you can expect a fuel economy improvement that will amount to more than one mile per gallon, which can be a lot, but keep in mind that you won’t be driving at this rate for much of your truck-driving experience.

When you slow down to about 65 miles per hour, which is a much more reasonable rate in which to drive, there’s definitely a reduced mpg benefit, and in most tonneau cover mpg test sessions, you’ll see at most a fuel economy improvement of a little less than a half mpg in savings.

This, of course, can vary depending on the vehicle and even the bed size, so while a five-foot bed may prove to have a nominal MPG savings, a bed with an eight-foot design may see a little more efficiency.

How Different Tonneau Cover Types can Affect MPG
As with anything, varying types of tonneau covers can potentially have an impact on gas mileage. For example, when you’re considering a tonneau, you have the option of:

• A roll-up tonneau cover
  • A soft tri-fold tonneau cover
  • A retractable tonneau cover
  • A hard tri-fold tonneau cover
For the most part, most of these variations are fairly uniform and provide a relatively solid surface over which the air that’s flowing around your vehicle can pass. On the other hand, for a soft roll-up tonneau cover that isn’t tensioned properly, air can indeed flow under the tonneau and increase the drag on your vehicle.

To avoid this situation, it’s crucial to keep your tonneau cover taut across the bed of your truck so that you can save a bit of cash at the pump.

Additionally, some products like soft and hard tri-fold covers can be partially deployed when you’re carrying oversize loads. When you are locking these in a 1/3, 2/3, or even fully open position for some models, you are inherently increasing the drag on your vehicle, which will reduce fuel efficiency.

Retractables are similar in this regard; if you’re only partially closing the tonneau so that you can carry overlarge items, then you can expect a significant loss in aerodynamics.

Also, any texture in the gate or any large head units on the tonneau itself can also reduce the aerodynamics of the truck, which can increase drag and reduce fuel economy.

Other Considerations about MPG
When you’re in the market for a tonneau, remember that there are considerations that you should take into account if you’re trying to save a buck at the pump.

As a general rule, lightweight tonneaus are very useful because their reduced mass allows for the truck to require less energy to move forward, and less energy expended this way means less required gas.

For this reason, a taut, soft cover can reward you with some good gas mileage.

Smoothness is also important, which is why single segment covers with uniform textures on the topmost portions can be useful. While you don’t want to grab a huge metal tonneau that will weigh your truck down, a unibody product can definitely assist with vehicle airflow.

Also, the age of the truck can come into play as well; modern trucks are designed with features that actively reduce drag, so using a tonneau may not make as much of a difference as compared to trucks that were designed in the 80s and 90s.

Final Thoughts
So, do tonneau covers improve gas mpg?

In the end, it’s definitely important to note that no one typically buys a tonneau cover thinking that it will one day pay for itself – in truth, these products yield a lot of significant advantages even without noteworthy fuel savings.

If you are thinking to buy a tonneau strictly for its potential to save you a ton of money on gas, it may be best to consider other gas-saving solutions like keeping your tires pumped up to their prescribed level.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another opinion.

"Popular Mechanics tested this theory and found that the truck had more drag with the tailgate down versus up. However, they did find that replacing the tailgate with a mesh did prove to be fuel-efficient—equally on par with driving with no tailgate, or driving with the hardcover top and the tailgate up."

Back to my original posting see below. Where I tested top speed in my 1995 Dodge Dakota.

Original Posting:

"New guy here. My experience and opinion, yes it does. Especially at higher speeds.

I used to have a 1995 Dakota 4X4 with the 318 motor.

With tailgate on the top speed was 102 mph. With tailgate off it went to 107 mph. 107 as I recall was also the limit set by the ECU. So possibly it may have gone faster.

All about wind resistance. Simple physics:)

Have fun!"

Again. Your mileage may vary:p

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Exactly. Like one of those big round hay bales except invisible and same height as the cab, in the bed. As you drive it rotates, the fast air over the cab "rides" over the top of it and off the back. The high velocity air is pushed up and over the tailgate.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm Well I replied to this. But its not here?? Try again.

I agree with what you are saying 100% except for the last line.

Humor me here.;)

Load your empty bed, no cover of any kind with:
1. Cinder Block
2. A 2x2 cardboard box weighing 5 pounds.
3. A 2x2 cardboard box that is empty.
4 A 8.5 x 11 piece of paper.

Go down the road at 25, 50, 75 and 100.

How many objects will still be in the bed?

Based on the "airflow" video, it would seem all would remain.

I am thinking just the cinder block.

My point? Its all a matter of degrees.

Also, I stand by my original post concerning my ole Dodge Dakota and the tailgate at 100 + MPH.

Have fun.

I tend to think none of the objects make a difference,I think thats comparing two different physics or principles. Weighted objects don't matter in this case. Sure in the turbulence of air in the bed at speed its not a perfect airtight ball stirring around. Some air comes and goes in the swirling. But the overall ball of air remains enough to divert the air over the tailgate. Basically the same concept of drafting. Its blocking the oncoming drag of air. Not a vacuum but just dead air.

Funny story, when i had my second truck, (84 S-10) Occasionally there would be the random coke can in the bed. Truck had a back sliding glass i often left open. Eventually this happened so often it became a joke. The can would make its rounds around the bed for what seemed like forever, until it eventually flew in the back window.