Took a long time,but finally installed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Mike, did you do any pre-load adjustment to your 2.0s and if not, was the lift height the same left to right? I'm seeing .625" lower fender height on the driver side. Mine have only been on for a few weeks, so they still need to settle in.
I wouldn't go messing with preload. Wulf suspension has .5" spacers that you could use to shim the front up on the drivers side with. They are cheap. I grabbed a generic 1/2 jeep JK spacer in the back. About 30 seconds with a sawsall it fit perfect and was like 10$. Check out my build thread. I figured the rear was the culprit considering the fuel tank and def tank for me are both biased to the drivers rear. Have had no issues in like 20k miles.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mike, did you do any pre-load adjustment to your 2.0s and if not, was the lift height the same left to right? I'm seeing .625" lower fender height on the driver side. Mine have only been on for a few weeks, so they still need to settle in.

I did not change the preload setting my entire time of using them.
I do remember a difference in fender height before I installed them. But I think it was a similar difference afterwards also.

My truck before my current Ram (Silverado 1500) also had different measurements left to right. I’m just guessing it has to do with driver weight, fuel tank, and anything else that has to do with balance of the truck.
I remember recently watching a YouTube video where they did a towing challenge and there was a difference in rear fender heights of a brand new Ram 1500. I doubt it’s a noticeable difference visually.

Have you checked the threads on your Fox 2.0 coilovers? Maybe one has a little more preload than the other?

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the input!
I plan on selling the Fox 2.0 coilovers. They only have about 15-20k miles on them I believe. I’ll have to go back and check when I installed them.
Let me know

Chris Kyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you checked the threads on your Fox 2.0 coilovers? Maybe one has a little more preload than the other?

I finally got around to measuring from the bottom thread to the collar underneath the spring seat....and they’re exactly the same. :(

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't go messing with preload. Wulf suspension has .5" spacers that you could use to shim the front up on the drivers side with. They are cheap. I grabbed a generic 1/2 jeep JK spacer in the back. About 30 seconds with a sawsall it fit perfect and was like 10$. Check out my build thread. I figured the rear was the culprit considering the fuel tank and def tank for me are both biased to the drivers rear. Have had no issues in like 20k miles.

Too late. Driver side is done. Passenger side almost, just need to tightened everything up.

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I finally got around to measuring from the bottom thread to the collar underneath the spring seat....and they’re exactly the same. :(
I had 1/2” difference in height on my 2.5. I probably had similar in the 2.0.
I did a little less preload on my passenger side. I’ll find out this afternoon how close I came to getting it the same.

I bought a spring compressor that actually fits when the coilovers are on the truck. But unfortunately I had to remove the coilovers to adjust the 2.5’s. Did not have access to the pinch bolt. I think this compressor will fit the 2.0’s while they’re on the truck too. Brand is Shankly. Got it on Amazon for about $50.

Chris Kyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had 1/2” difference in height on my 2.5. I probably had similar in the 2.0.
I did a little less preload on my passenger side. I’ll find out this afternoon how close I came to getting it the same.

I bought a spring compressor that actually fits when the coilovers are on the truck. But unfortunately I had to remove the coilovers to adjust the 2.5’s. Did not have access to the pinch bolt. I think this compressor will fit the 2.0’s while they’re on the truck too. Brand is Shankly. Got it on Amazon for about $50.
Cool. Thanks. I’ll look at that compressor.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Too late. Driver side is done. Passenger side almost, just need to tightened everything up.
That was meant for Chris Kyle. Lol I know the 2.5s are designed to adjust, the 2.0s I heard are kinda maxxed out. But I've not played with them so that's hear say.

Let's see some pics Mike!

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was meant for Chris Kyle. Lol I know the 2.5s are designed to adjust, the 2.0s I heard are kinda maxxed out. But I've not played with them so that's hear say.

Oops!

It’s in the alignment shop as we speak. First measurements after a trip around the block are saying I’m within 1/8” in the front from the left to right.
I’m very happy with the look of it.
I don’t think my ride is going to suffer by adding 1/2” of preload to the springs. Fox for some reason uses softer springs on the Ram- 550 coils. From what I’ve read, guys in Tacoma’s like 700’s!i think the Fox 2.5’s come with either 600 or 650 cool springs on the Tacoma. I’m only mentioning them because they’re is a lot more talk about coilovers on their forums.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Oops!

It’s in the alignment shop as we speak. First measurements after a trip around the block are saying I’m within 1/8” in the front from the left to right.
I don’t think my ride is going to suffer by adding 1/2” of preload to the springs. Fox for some reason uses softer springs on the Ram- 550 coils. From what I’ve read, guys in Tacoma’s like 700’s!i think the Fox 2.5’s come with either 600 or 650 cool springs on the Tacoma. I’m only mentioning them because they’re is a lot more talk about coilovers on their forums.

Oh for sure those guys get all the cool things! Options for days. If the coils are that soft it's gonna ride like butter! The 2.5s seem to have a good bit more adjustment in them. 1/8" is perfect honestly. It'll still settle a bit as well. I'm sure it looks good and prob rides even better!

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It’s was a little too bright out and the fender well is so dark, but the reservoirs stick out real nice now.

ADC4B2F9-FBB2-426C-84D7-DB577F1B3071.jpeg D5406FDD-44ED-4387-9E21-D85B3B2BCF95.jpeg

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s was a little too bright out and the fender well is so dark, but the reservoirs stick out real nice now.

View attachment 178463 View attachment 178464
Looks good!!!! How is the ride with the fox coil overs? What color is that? Looks light for Crystal Granite but that could be the sun and the camera

I’m in the middle of my install on my 2500, can’t wait to drive this thing with the resi shocks.

084A940E-AFAE-4A7A-B3E5-159A98AD5CE4.jpeg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oops!

My kings are 500lbs but 14" long from the factory.
Icons are 13" long, 650lbs
So Fox is 550lbs, what lenght stock ?

About the Taco guys liking 700lbs springs, what happens is that some of those rigs are really heavy up front, (aftermarket steel bumper, winch, dual batteries, skid plates, ARB compressors etc, etc), and they still want 2.5-3" lift.

I have a full 2" preload on my kings compared to how they came from the factory. So in a couple of months depending if you're adding more weight or not in the front, check your height and see if they'll need a final adjustment.

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My kings are 500lbs but 14" long from the factory.
Icons are 13" long, 650lbs
So Fox is 550lbs, what lenght stock ?

About the Taco guys liking 700lbs springs, what happens is that some of those rigs are really heavy up front, (aftermarket steel bumper, winch, dual batteries, skid plates, ARB compressors etc, etc), and they still want 2.5-3" lift.

I have a full 2" preload on my kings compared to how they came from the factory. So in a couple of months depending if you're adding more weight or not in the front, check your height and see if they'll need a final adjustment.

But we’ve also have a big heavy Hemi under the compared to their V6. I’d think the weight of the Ram front to a Tacoma front is at least 700lbs heavier.
Yes, they’re 14” springs. I’m running 1” of preload. They came from Fox at 1/2” so I only added about 1/2”- which I do not think is much.

Last edited:

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L

Looks good, kind of has the sleeper thing going on if you don't see the resi's. You may have it posted somewhere that I haven't seen, but what do you have in the rear? Still have the Fox 2.0s in rear? Springs?

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks good, kind of has the sleeper thing going on if you don't see the resi's. You may have it posted somewhere that I haven't seen, but what do you have in the rear? Still have the Fox 2.0s in rear? Springs?

You can definitely see them! They just didn’t show well because of the lighting.

Yes still have the 2.0 in the rear. If there is a reasonable priced aftermarket progressive rear coil spring out there that doesn’t provide lift I’d buy it. My truck is level right now and I don’t want to lift the back 1.5-2” Then it’s no longer level!

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks good!!!! How is the ride with the fox coil overs? What color is that? Looks light for Crystal Granite but that could be the sun and the camera

I’m in the middle of my install on my 2500, can’t wait to drive this thing with the resi shocks.

View attachment 178470
Awesome! There is definitely a coolness factor when you see a big truck or Jeep with reservoirs- in my opinion.
I think it’s was just the brightness of the sun that made it so light colored.
I haven’t driven it too much since I made the preload adjustments. But the ride is greatly improved over the Fox 2.0 nothing wrong with those, but the 2.5’s seem to handle the rough stuff better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963