Toolbox and transfer tank...help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm looking to put a fuel tank and toolbox in my '18 Harvest Edition 2500 CTD, and I am at a loss as to where to start looking for them. I see Home Depot has toolboxes and a few tanks, but not sure how everything will fit. By no means is this my first truck, but it is actually the first time I'll have one without a cap or tonneau.

My primary usage for the box will be work gear (I'm a truck driver), and the tank is for extending road trip range when I drag my travel trailer around. I'd prefer aluminum if it makes a difference.

Where can I find some nice, solid, reliable gear? I don't want a harbor freight special, I want a setup that will last me years and be worthy of dropping in the next rig. I really just don't have a clue where to even begin looking.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Titans Tanks or Transfer Flow

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper Stt MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Tractor Supply Co. they carry a full line every 100 gallon L shape tanks with toolbox. Steel,aluminum diamond plate.
tractorsupply.com
Or tsc.com

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You can go to tractor supply or look online..... but there are plenty who have a combination toolbox/auxiliary tank combo. You will need a gravity feed kit that is separate if you want it to be gravity fed. I had mine gravity fed and never had a single issue. Mine was a 100 gallon auxiliary tank.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I think the L shaped is gonna do the best job and give ya the best accessibility to the toolbox also.
Ta boot the tractor supply combo’s are DOT approved.

OP
OP
Big Terry

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the TSC suggestions guys. Actually haven't seen a TSC since I moved to WA, but they've built one recently about a half hour from me. Gonna have to go take a look and see what they have.

Now I need to decide if I want a self feeding tank, or a 12v pump, or both...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Thanks for the TSC suggestions guys. Actually haven't seen a TSC since I moved to WA, but they've built one recently about a half hour from me. Gonna have to go take a look and see what they have.

I vote for both. Always go first with feeding into your tank. The other part is an easy add on when needed Unless you’re filling up equipment now. Then go pump haha

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

Is it gonna be used commercially?
Commercial= yes 12V feed transfer pump.
Farm use= either way
After having a gravity fed to the main tank(manual on/off).
Having to stop turn it on and stop turn it off. Getting harassed by the DOT just use the transfer pump.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I also agree with @22hemi13

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Damn right you better ageee with me :boxing: Lololololololololol

Big smile [emoji4] for the Big Man[emoji67]

OP
OP
Big Terry

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Farm use= either way
Having to stop turn it on and stop turn it off. Getting harassed by the DOT just use the transfer pump.

Not really concerned with DOT. I'm a truck driver, and haul tankers regularly, so I already have my health card and hazmat endorsement. The truck would never be used for work, strictly personal use. My concern is more based on trade-in value down the road--I plan to upgrade to a dually in a couple/few years and A) want to transfer the tank/toolbox to the new rig, and B) don't want any hassle from the dealer over mods made. Drilling holes isn't the issue, it's the plumbing mods that would give me concern at trade-in time. That's why I was thinking to just go with a pump.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Not really concerned with DOT. I'm a truck driver, and haul tankers regularly, so I already have my health card and hazmat endorsement. The truck would never be used for work, strictly personal use. My concern is more based on trade-in value down the road--I plan to upgrade to a dually in a couple/few years and A) want to transfer the tank/toolbox to the new rig, and B) don't want any hassle from the dealer over mods made. Drilling holes isn't the issue, it's the plumbing mods that would give me concern at trade-in time. That's why I was thinking to just go with a pump.

Guess it would depend on where you trade it in at. Around here in Texas tons of trade ins with flatbeds, fuel tanks hay forks you name it. And they sale fast off the dealers lots.

OP
OP
Big Terry

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Guess it would depend on where you trade it in at. Around here in Texas tons of trade ins with flatbeds, fuel tanks hay forks you name it. And they sale fast off the dealers lots.
Best case, the guy that buys the trade wants to do the same thing and sees that the hard work has already been done for him [emoji16]

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I still say you’re better off going with the transfer pump. Since it’s not commercial...
Didn’t hear it from me but...
Farm use red fuel comes to mind

Last edited:

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Farm use= either way

You don’t have to be turning it on and off if installed correctly. If you buy a gravity feed install kit you can just leave it on all the time like I did. It will never overflow due to kit shutting it off and feeding it when it needs to be fed. Gravity feed was the best choice for me. I just didn’t like the way the pump looked on top I wanted to keep it looking clean. Just my opinion

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
You don’t have to be turning it on and off if installed correctly. If you buy a gravity feed install kit you can just leave it on all the time like I did. It will never overflow due to kit shutting it off and feeding it when it needs to be fed. Gravity feed was the best choice for me. I just didn’t like the way the pump looked on top I wanted to keep it looking clean. Just my opinion

I made mine using pipe and a manual ball valve.(on/off) setup that I made. I used it commercial and had to keep it hidden.
I had very limited time and money.

OP
OP
Big Terry

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Now the struggle is finding what I want. I really want a tank/toolbox combo; not necessarily an all-in-one setup but more of the L-shaped tank that a regular cross box goes over the top of. Having a shortbed narrows the choices, and finding one that's low profile (under 20" high) makes it even harder.

@McBroom- you say you had to keep it hidden- why? Were you hotshotting or something? Not sure why you would need to have it hidden, unless you are referring to your gravity feed of offroad red ;)