Torqstorm Install-With Dyno Results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Get thee to a dyno! I want to see what these bad boys put down! I was considering a rotrex set up for a while.
Roger that. Just gotta get a day off, then I'm all over it!

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Roger that. Just gotta get a day off, then I'm all over it!
All jokes aside is this something that could be pulled off as a weekend job or is there that much you have to make custom?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
I think this can be done in a weekend with some prep.

For me, the time consuming parts, and they weren't horrible, were prepping the pop off valve **** and braising it to the intercooler tubing, getting bungs in the intercooler piping for the boost gauge and threaded IAT sensor, and making up some rudimentary brackets for the intercooler. If Torqstorm wanted to sell more of these they'd package more of that into the kit, but that's not their thing I guess. If I did it again, I'd buy a generic 50MM valve pre-welded to a 3" pipe and get a slightly smaller intercooler with dual same-side inlet/outlets.

To really make sure you're protecting the engine with a good fuel mixture, especially for WOT you should also have an extra O2 sensor **** welded into the exhaust and install a wideband O2 sensor. 30-40 bucks at most exhaust/muffler shops.

Dalton childers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think this can be done in a weekend with some prep.

For me, the time consuming parts, and they weren't horrible, were prepping the pop off valve **** and braising it to the intercooler tubing, getting bungs in the intercooler piping for the boost gauge and threaded IAT sensor, and making up some rudimentary brackets for the intercooler. If Torqstorm wanted to sell more of these they'd package more of that into the kit, but that's not their thing I guess. If I did it again, I'd buy a generic 50MM valve pre-welded to a 3" pipe and get a slightly smaller intercooler with dual same-side inlet/outlets.

To really make sure you're protecting the engine with a good fuel mixture, especially for WOT you should also have an extra O2 sensor **** welded into the exhaust and install a wideband O2 sensor. 30-40 bucks at most exhaust/muffler shops.
Did you buy the kit for the ram that they start advertising in may or did you buy one of there kits off there website that I believe Is 09 to 13

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
I bought the ram kit they started advertising in May.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
James, I know you didn't do the Torque Storm for mpg, but if you can muster the self control for an MPG run, I'd be interested in how it does on gas I'm going to guess you pick up an extra mpg. My ProCharged V6 Mustang will do 34 mpg at 55-60 mph.

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol. Then I'd have to come to NJ! Next time I'm in NY I'll look you up! No left turns and can't pump your own gas...
Im from NY!!! Just moved here and get yelled at Everytime I go to pump my own gas

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Im from NY!!! Just moved here and get yelled at Everytime I go to pump my own gas
Lol. No worries, I spend a lot of time in NYC for work, fun to mess with my guys from Jersey.

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
James, I know you didn't do the Torque Storm for mpg, but if you can muster the self control for an MPG run, I'd be interested in how it does on gas I'm going to guess you pick up an extra mpg. My ProCharged V6 Mustang will do 34 mpg at 55-60 mph.

This damn truck has been my new obsession/hobby, like a lot of my past toys, and you'd think once you get a supercharger you'd just burn the tires off the thing every time you could but I'm pretty reserved usually. I drive about 100 miles a day, mostly highway and backroads, but I'm usually stuck in some sort of rush-hour/stop and go traffic also

When I bought this truck used almost a year ago and it was stock, I got around 20 MPG combined, 21-22 if I babied it and kept it in 'ECO/MDS' territory. Mind you, this is a standard cab truck, but a 4x4, so a bit lighter than most but still some parasitic loss and heavy stuff like transfer cases etc to lug around. It had a veraram intake also straight from the dealter.

I started with a hemifever tune, and my mileage stayed the same even though the truck was night and day different.

After I did the Jay Greene .5 HL cam, spring upgrade, lifters etc, MDS delete, fan delete, and ARH LT catless headers back in early spring, my mileage went down a bit, I was averaging 18-19.5 combined, and if I babied it I could still get 20-21, but it took some effort.

Now, as I've been tweaking this truck and tune in with Jay and the torqstorm, I'm averaging around 17.5-18.5. With the bigger injectors, 93 octane tune, and aggressive transmission shifting it's down somewhat from where I'd like, but considering how much HP it's putting out relative to stock, I'm not complaining! I still spend quite a bit of time in ECO mode, and I suspect if I shifted driving habits I'd probably get back up to 19 ish. Keep in mind also that I live in Southern Illinois/St. Louis area and we've shifted over to the winter blend, so maybe after spring things will get better. I drive conservatively, but I can't help from spinning the thing up to hear the supercharger whine :). I just finished some tweaking on a tune today because of some starting issues (surging at startup on cold mornings) probably attributed to the much bigger injectors. I think also that this torqstorm supplied blow off/bypass valve is kicking in a bit too low, I may try switching to a -2 PSI/50MM generic valve. When I'm cruising along at 70 ish MHP and around 1,600-1,700 RPM, I'm at about a pound of boost.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you plan to take It to the track at all?

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A pound of boost at 70 sounds about right.

I'm about 2.5 hours east of you, just about 10 miles north of I64.

I think if your truck is capable of 18+, that's pretty impressive. I still love the look of a SBRC. Everybody, myself included, drives a 4 door.

Well done Sir!

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Thanks! My kids are older now so I can finally have a truck that reminds me of when I was 16 and running around in my old beater. If I could get a bench seat in this thing I probably would!

Some day I'll probably get it to the track and see what it'll do in the quarter, I need to back off the mods for a while or my wife is going to kick my ass and if I do track time then I'm going to want to do suspension, slicks, stall converter, extra rims, etc etc...

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't suppose they have a CARB legal Kit for the Rams yet right?

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Well, that's a good question... Call them at the following number, you'll probably talk to Chris.

616-226-9476

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Torqstorm is good stuff if your not looking for more than 750hp. I have one on a 5.3 and love it. I’ve had mine up to 12psi which is maxed out with the tiny 3” pulley. This was before they upgraded the pulley system and I had to crank down on the belt. Boost always came in real low at 1800 and sounded good. Good choice!

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Thanks! So far so good, the only issues I have with it is that it's sort of noisy at idle with the straight cut gears, and it took a while to get the pulley tensioner just right so the belt wouldn't slip off. Other than that I'm loving it!

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks! So far so good, the only issues I have with it is that it's sort of noisy at idle with the straight cut gears, and it took a while to get the pulley tensioner just right so the belt wouldn't slip off. Other than that I'm loving it!
Can you take a video of it idling for us from inside and out? And a couple revs from both?

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Yep. Will get to it this week when I have some time.