Torqstorm Install-With Dyno Results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yep. Will get to it this week when I have some time.
Awesome thanks so much. You've possibly inspired me to cause my wife to kill me for spending 5k on "something I dont need". Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Well, I got to experience my first dyno today, holy crap.

Attached are the results. A couple of circumstances, I asked the tech, who had not done many rams, to watch the boost and try not to let it get too close to 8, so he ran it up to about 5800 and backed down. The damn truck was still pulling hard, but the boost was giving me a pucker factor and I didn't feel like blowing it up, so we let it be. When I eventually get around to doing drop in pistons I'll do a bigger pulley, but I'm happy for now until the suspension and brakes get some attention.

We did three runs, and could have done a few more but I was about to have a stroke so we backed off and based on the results I was more than happy. I pulled fuse F26 to kill the ABS/EPS, and showed the tech how to manually lock it in 4th and 5th, it kept up and down shifting depending on how he approached the run, so it took a while and I don't know if we ever truly got a locked in reading.

Dyno was a mustang. We didn't do any dyno tuning, I just wanted to see what the truck was putting out with Jay's tune.

Docs attached.

Max power @ 5806 RPM 498.4 at 139.9 mph, corrected at 483.6

Max torque @ 4720 RPM 483.6 at 114.6 mph, corrected to 469.3

Estimated Crank HP 624.5, corrected to 605.9

20191106_165726.jpg 20191106_165716.jpg

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well, I got to experience my first dyno today, holy crap.

Attached are the results. A couple of circumstances, I asked the tech, who had not done many rams, to watch the boost and try not to let it get too close to 8, so he ran it up to about 5800 and backed down. The damn truck was still pulling hard, but the boost was giving me a pucker factor and I didn't feel like blowing it up, so we let it be. When I eventually get around to doing drop in pistons I'll do a bigger pulley, but I'm happy for now until the suspension and brakes get some attention.

We did three runs, and could have done a few more but I was about to have a stroke so we backed off and based on the results I was more than happy. I pulled fuse F26 to kill the ABS/EPS, and showed the tech how to manually lock it in 4th and 5th, it kept up and down shifting depending on how he approached the run, so it took a while and I don't know if we ever truly got a locked in reading.

Dyno was a mustang. We didn't do any dyno tuning, I just wanted to see what the truck was putting out with Jay's tune.

Docs attached.

Max power @ 5806 RPM 498.4 at 139.9 mph, corrected at 483.6

Max torque @ 4720 RPM 483.6 at 114.6 mph, corrected to 469.3

Estimated Crank HP 624.5, corrected to 605.9

View attachment 185529 View attachment 185530
Freaking awesome man that's great!

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm officially doing it. My next spring project.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Nice numbers! Mustang dynos always read low too. I don't know if you have e85 where you're at but there's another 50-70hp.

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Lol. You're not too far from me, let me know if you r need help. I've still got some odd noises and some exhaust leaks to track down. Bythe time you're ready I should have all the Kinks worked out

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good stuff I'd be more than happy with those levels of power. For a least a few weeks *****

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Nice numbers man! That seems to be pretty average for a hemi running around 8psi. My whipple was 505whp at 7psi.

Do you have the 8 speed? If you do, you should have done the runs in 6th as that the 1:1 ratio. Not being in a 1:1 can skew the numbers a bit bit usually not much. It would likely still downshift though, mine did. The 8 speeds won’t lock into a gear without doing some scan tool/tune magic.

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Thanks for that info, I wasn't sure if it was 5th or 6th for 1:1, I told the tech to do a run up into 6th but with the funny shifting after the third run I was satisfied. I do wish I'd have had them run it up into 6,200 territory. How long have you had the whipple on yours and how do you like the drivability? It's a bit different driving experience with an SC.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMG_2214.JPG James, I'm afraid you've just cost a lot of guys a lot of money. #42 is a great post! I wish I could have been there when they dynoed my Mustang. I'll bet the first time is a hair raising experience.

I was a bit surprised that there's not a lot going on below 3500 rpm. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Keep the rpms down, and get great gas mileage. Rev it and romp. Supposedly easier on the transmission. 7 lbs of Forced induction usually gives 1.5X stock hp, from what I gather. 500 RWHP and 19.5 MPG? How do you beat that?!

I posted a pic of the dyno sheet from my ProCharged V6 Mustang, just for comparison sake.

Last edited:
OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Good observation, and nice dyno! Super linear and a really broad powerband. I bet that thing screamed... If our trucks could rev that high...

I was a bit surprised too at the low end performance but I did sort of build the truck that way, and the dyno tech kept having to creep up to keep the thing from shifting. I don't have a cam specifically built for a blower, using Jay's .5HL cam for an NA application but it does help a bit, and I'm running true dual 1 7/8" ARH headers with no cats, and 14" flowmasters with an x-pipe, it's really built to rev and go. As you point out the nice side effect is with my pedal commander set to city driving I'm getting 19-19.5 MPG on my 50 mile commute in stop and go traffic, so it's a good compromise!

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for that info, I wasn't sure if it was 5th or 6th for 1:1, I told the tech to do a run up into 6th but with the funny shifting after the third run I was satisfied. I do wish I'd have had them run it up into 6,200 territory. How long have you had the whipple on yours and how do you like the drivability? It's a bit different driving experience with an SC.

I’ve had the whipple just over 2 years now. I love it. The drive ability is definitely different, but some good tuning will help with that. When I compare to a stock truck. The power delivery is smoother compared to my truck since you kind of get the light switch effect with something like a whipple. Having 505rwhp definitely makes up for any driveability issues though.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
View attachment 185558 James, I'm afraid you've just cost a lot of guys a lot of money. #42 is a great post! I wish I could have been there when they dynoed my Mustang. I'll bet the first time is a hair raising experience.

I was a bit surprised that there's not a lot going on below 3500 rpm. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Keep the rpms down, and get great gas mileage. Rev it and romp. Supposedly easier on the transmission. 7 lbs of Forced induction usually gives 1.5X stock hp, from what I gather. 500 RWHP and 19.5 MPG? How do you beat that?!

I posted a pic of the dyno sheet from my ProCharged V6 Mustang, just for comparison sake.

You can't jump on the 8 speeds until well past 3500 on a dyno,otherwise they'll just downshift on you.As Tech Tach stated ,they are virtually impossible for most dyno shops to lock the tranny into 6th.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I often wondered why almost no one gets their Ram dynoed. That makes sense that the eight speed doesn't get along well with a dyno.

Yet another reason for a good old fashioned six speed manual!

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
I’ve had the whipple just over 2 years now. I love it. The drive ability is definitely different, but some good tuning will help with that. When I compare to a stock truck. The power delivery is smoother compared to my truck since you kind of get the light switch effect with something like a whipple. Having 505rwhp definitely makes up for any driveability issues though.
I've been thinking about adding a smooth boost kit.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So have I but I’m hesitant as since it’s fairly new, there’s not much out there about it, as far as reviews etc.
When you make that transition let me know I'll take that whipple off your hands [emoji16]

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Smooth Boost is a valve of sorts, that you add to your existing Whipple. It smoothness out the abruptness he described. He's not talking about selling his Whipple.

A ProCharger/Centrifugal doesn't have that abrupt step of the Whipple, that is described in the Smooth Boost vid, that I saw. But the trade off is the Whipple makes Boost lower in the rpm range. The pic I posted of my ProCharged V6 Mustang dyno run, shows where a ProCharger makes power.

But with a Centrifugal, you can stay out of boost, if you keep the rpms low giving you good gas mileage.

There are trade-offs to both systems.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
have you towed with it yet?

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Yep. Boat and u-haul trailer. Boat is probably 3,500-4,000# on the trailer and it towed without a problem. I've got 3.21 gears so you don't get into the boost much when cruising but with 1-2 pounds of boost it's downshifting less and my MPG stayed decent when towing.