Torque Converter lockup making a howling sound when locked up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In 4th gear at ~40mph my transmission makes a howling sound I believe is the torque converter clutch locking up. Itll do it in OD OFF and TOW/HAUL and normal whenever the TCC is locked up. The sound goes up and down with rpm and goes away above 2k rpms. Does this mean my tranny is going or I'd this something I have to live with?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jmd4100

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it only in 4th gear? Does it stop in 3rd, 4', or 5th?
It will do it in 3rd if I have it in O/D OFF. It may do it in 5th but there's so much tire noise i probably cant hear it[emoji23]... and it only does it from 1200 rpm to about 2000 rpm. It goes higher and lower in pitch with rpm.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Describe your howling noise more...? I have always had an issue with my 06 Hemi sounding like it is lugging itself to death when the converter is locked in 3rd(od off) or when locked in 4th and 5th normal driving. As soon as the rpms get above 1600 or a bit higher if under load, the noise goes away. Never felt a loss of power though.

I have never been able to figure it out. I’ve changed plugs, cleaned the intake, tried every octane gas, different canned tunes, turning off MDS, etc... The engine mounts look fine, and neither of my scanners read any knock.

Does your noise sound like a vehicle stuck in too high of a gear and lugging like mine, or does it wail like a wheel bearing gone out and just constantly howl...?

OP
OP
jmd4100

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Describe your howling noise more...? I have always had an issue with my 06 Hemi sounding like it is lugging itself to death when the converter is locked in 3rd(od off) or when locked in 4th and 5th normal driving. As soon as the rpms get above 1600 or a bit higher if under load, the noise goes away. Never felt a loss of power though.

I have never been able to figure it out. I’ve changed plugs, cleaned the intake, tried every octane gas, different canned tunes, turning off MDS, etc... The engine mounts look fine, and neither of my scanners read any knock.

Does your noise sound like a vehicle stuck in too high of a gear and lugging like mine, or does it wail like a wheel bearing gone out and just constantly howl...?
No it sounds like a howl or whine when the transmission locks up in 4th gear in normal driving and 3rd in O/D OFF. Doesnt sound like its lugging but it has always sounded like it lugged a little in 4th at around 40 mph. It drops to around 1300 rpm and it gets drony and yes it sounds like its lugging but not in 3rd or 5th. It's normal to do that in 4th. The howl I have only started after I replaced my radiator. I wonder if I knocked something in the transmission cooler when I moved it... very strange it never did it and the very first time I drove it after the radiator replacement as soon as the TC locked up it started howling and whin ik ng like crazy.

Slabhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what is the verdict here? Sounds like my howling truck.