Torque converter...stall speed help etc....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramstein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spend a lot of evenings browsing the forums and figuring out things to spend my hard earned money on haha. Its pretty easy to find options while on this forum I'll say! I am waiting on the Superchips flashpaq I ordered (2012 Ram 1500 Hemi), just ordered the thermostat, and will be ordering the electric fan soon as well. The next thing I have my sights on is a new torque converter. It makes a lot of sense that getting the power to the ground is much more important that making the power and not getting it there. I've gathered that Edge and Circle D are the two popular manufacturers on the forums....and for the summer, I'm conveniently in Houston, TX.....right next to Circle D!!! I've done some of my own searching and have come up with a few questions. I watched this video from summit racing.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5JFMs8gdbs

....along with other videos and articles. The Summit Racing video in particular made a lot of sense. Pick a stall speed a little higher than what the camshafts start making the power in, and pick a speed lower than what you cruise on the highway with. Both scenarios would make the truck transfer more power to the wheels because it stalls after the camshafts rpm rating and stalls lower than what you use when driving on the highway, so that when you wanted to pass, it would be engaged already.

I hope I am making some sense, and hopefully I"m understanding what I'm seeing correctly. My question is,

1. Does anyone know the factory camshaft rpm range for the 5.7 Hemi?

2. Does anyone experience any negative highway cruising behavior after installing a new TC? (mileage, shifting, high rpm)

3. What stall speed are people choosing for a daily driver, streetable truck.

Shouldnt I take advantage of where I'm at for the summer and pick up a TC from Circle D??!! Haha. I love justifying stuff like this :favorites13:

Thanks for any info

wickedwhite2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put a circle d 11" 3000 stall in mine about a year ago. I believe it's the best mod I have done to the truck. It's more fun to drive now and is a tire frier at any given chance. I wished I wouldn't have went so big on the stall. A 2600 to 2800 would have been lot better. But it's still fun.

OP
OP
R

ramstein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put a circle d 11" 3000 stall in mine about a year ago. I believe it's the best mod I have done to the truck. It's more fun to drive now and is a tire frier at any given chance. I wished I wouldn't have went so big on the stall. A 2600 to 2800 would have been lot better. But it's still fun.

Does the 3000 stall make it terrible to drive in the city? What sort of things arent you crazy about with the 3000?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you check with Matt at Moe's Performance(a vendor on this site) I'm sure he will be able to answer all your questions. He's great to work with and he will shoot straight with you.
Jay

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI the stock TC stalls around 2200 and the R/T converter stalls at 2600. I think 2600 to 2800 is perfect but its part personal preference. I had a 3000+ for a few weeks and it was a little loose for my taste, then a re-stalled stock TC that should have stalled around 2600 but was flashing to 2800 with my mods. I really liked that one. Unfortunately, I lost it with the trans re-build so Im back to stock. Im going to try that for a while and see how it works out. My trans has already been out 5 times in the last years, so Im going to take a break on the mods for a while.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you think the converter had anything to do with your trans problems? Isn't the Edge 2600-2800 about the same stall as an R/T?
Jay

OP
OP
R

ramstein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you think the converter had anything to do with your trans problems? Isn't the Edge 2600-2800 about the same stall as an R/T?
Jay

Thats a good point....my truck is still under warranty for another 3 years so I wouldnt want to void it by installing an aftermarket TC that could damage the transmission....and then be up ***** creek without a paddle at the dealership. Anyone thing the aftermarket TC's are contributing to the transmission problems a lot of people are seeing on these trucks? I'm assuming I have the 645RFE since I have the 6 speed?

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think my trans problem was from the factory. However, it would have been hard to get it covered under warranty with an aftermarket TC.

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jay

The stall is about the same but the stator is different and there is more clutch surface, so the Edge has higher torque multiplication and harder lock-up resulting in more power to the ground and more smoke off the tires.:roflsquared:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't really care about the tire smoking. While they are smoking their tires and looking neat, I'm in hopes of just putting the power to the ground, hooking up and driving down the street. Smoking the tires don't get you too the finish line first(usually).
Jay

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Don't really care about the tire smoking. While they are smoking their tires and looking neat, I'm in hopes of just putting the power to the ground, hooking up and driving down the street. Smoking the tires don't get you too the finish line first(usually).
Jay

I think what he is saying is that with the upgraded TC its so easy to get power to the wheels now the tires are having trouble hooking so therefore spinning and consequently smoking... :roflsquared:

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think what he is saying is that with the upgraded TC its so easy to get power to the wheels now the tires are having trouble hooking so therefore spinning and consequently smoking... :roflsquared:

True! These trucks lose 100 hp from the motor to the wheels and most of that is due to the trans. Gaining some of that back will get you to the finish line first(if you can get the tires to stick that is).