Total or Not to Total? That is the Question

would you have totaled it? or saved it?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm just chiming in to nominate this topic for "Most Epic Build Thread 2019". ;)

All said O/P, I couldn't say what I would do if in your position given you tried to have it totaled out and then given the answer you totally made lemonade out of lemons. Since leaving a multi-dealership parts lead position and moving to a FCA Certified Collision Facility where we also have a long list of high end manufacturer certifications too, I've seen this situation play out a few times. Knowing what standards we have for repairs and the standards I have to keep as far as what parts come through my hands before going on a vehicle if I was pigeon-holed with no reasonably simple out I'd trust my coworkers to do what you had done. *Tell me you also had them add in some extra inner panel corrosion protection to boot and yeah, when done right and you're gonna keep the truck anyhow, it more than likely came out better than it did initially off the assembly line. I checked out Briggs, nice certifications list they got there. Well played sir. :D

I wanna see more re-assembly pics now too.

Last edited:

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I also had a truck with very bad damage repaired under Allstate. The damn frame was bent and even the dealer guy said it was totaled. Nope, after I bought another truck the shop told me they were heating and bending the frame back! I was shocked and pissed. Of course as soon as it was out of the shop I was rear ended by a kid in a Mercedes. Guess where the frame bent?? That poor truck was cursed. The first time I had a rental for 2 months. The 2nd time only 3 days. Thanks, Geico.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brent L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll never have Allstate insurance again. Horrible experience trying to get our vehicle fixed after an accident. Took months to get it fixed correctly. Switched companies and never looked back.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
If you like the truck and are happy with where it’s at now after all the upgrades you’ve put into it, I’d just drive it and enjoy it. And that shop did an amazing job! I grew up doing body work, used to work in a body shop at a new Chevy dealer, and I’ve bought totaled cars and rebuilt them for personal use and to sell....so I don’t personally get scared away by accident damage. As long as the work was done correct, which it certainly appears to have been, then the truck should be no different than if it was never hit. Diminished value could be a concern of course, but even that concern goes down the longer you have it. It’s not like a carfax is going to have pictures and details of exactly what happened to it. The carfax will show that it has been reported in an accident, and that it has a clear title with no history of being totaled. It’s not even that strong of a bargaining chip for a buyer to use against the value if they have a truck sitting in front of them that is in great condition and can’t even tell any work was ever done to it. I’ll be very curious to see what the appraisal comes back at, but based on the pictures at least I’d be surprised if you have too much to worry about.
I agree.

Accidents do not scare me. **** Poor Body Shops scare me.

A Professional Body shop man is BETTER than the worst 50% of the Assemblers, in whatever factory, built the darn truck , initially.
Every single vehicle , ever made, was built by someone and can be re-built , even better.

I would not hesitate to proudly drive this truck, knowing how everything is was, done, daily and by whom.
The ability to to actually work on the truck, for personal Mods, while it is being repaired and have that work checked
by such Professionals is , in itself, a great Advantage.

OP
OP
kp4243

kp4243

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll never have Allstate insurance again. Horrible experience trying to get our vehicle fixed after an accident. Took months to get it fixed correctly. Switched companies and never looked back.

So far Allstate has spared no expense and the lady I have dealt with has been amazing. But that might be because the fact the kid was clearly in the wrong, I don’t know. I know hands down what ever the reason. I have just gotten lucky through all of this. It’s definitely not supposed to go this smoothly. I was so ready for a good fight too!!! lol

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hope you went by every friday to get your paycheck... But seriously it looks like they did a great job.....kudos to the body shop...:):)