Touch up a spray in bedliner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with a spray in bedliner by ultimate linings, local installer had great reviews and history. Let a friend borrow my truck last night to pick up a husky toolbox from home depot, no good deed goes unpunished. Both wheel wells have small dents, bed liner is scratched on both but one has a small nick down to the paint. So my question is, is something like that typically covered under a limited lifetime warranty (it carries same warranty as line-x) or am i better off buying a can of herculiner and do a small patch myself? Or any other good products out there to touch up with? Thanks for any help!

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Should be covered, it would be them saying yeah its covered! ... oh you used it for what we said its good for? ... shi... NOT COVERED! I know Line-x doesn't care how long you have abused or what you abused their stuff with, they will honor the warranty.

OP
OP
William Hastings

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope so, the warranty says it covers lifetime workmanship and defects, since this is neither, im curious. Have to wait til after the holidays to find out.

Shellkamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
Just how durable are these spray-in liners?

Maybe I'll just keep the plastic-insert one I have.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

I've had my Ram 1500 since last March '18, use it for work and haul built-in appliances, in boxes, and old ones out of boxes, and other heavy items. Has the factory spray liner, and initially I was skeptical, but it's tough! I don't think I have any scratches through to the metal yet, but of course it looks well-used now, though when cleaned up, almost looks new. Has some spots that could use some scrubbing with a brush where dirty water from old dishwashers leaked, but I bought it to be a work truck, so don't obsess over the interior of the bed. IMO it's far superior to the plastic Duraliner I had before which nicked and cracked very easily, and was trashed after 10 years. Also is skid resistant, which is great. The Duraliner was very slick.

BTW if I was borrowing a buddy's new truck to haul a big tool box, I'd use blankets to protect the bed.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel

I "touched up" the spray in liner on my '98 RAM by bead-blasting the bed out, shooting in some HEAVY Rust Oleum primer, and installing a factory plastic liner. On my '12 I installed a Duraliner...

I wouldn't trust spray in for anything I use...

Shellkamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
I "touched up" the spray in liner on my '98 RAM by bead-blasting the bed out, shooting in some HEAVY Rust Oleum primer, and installing a factory plastic liner. On my '12 I installed a Duraliner...

Mine is a penda-liner. It's held up pretty well, and for a lot of years, the only thing is that it rubs through the paint in some spots.

OP
OP
William Hastings

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had my Ram 1500 since last March '18, use it for work and haul built-in appliances, in boxes, and old ones out of boxes, and other heavy items. Has the factory spray liner, and initially I was skeptical, but it's tough! I don't think I have any scratches through to the metal yet, but of course it looks well-used now, though when cleaned up, almost looks new. Has some spots that could use some scrubbing with a brush where dirty water from old dishwashers leaked, but I bought it to be a work truck, so don't obsess over the interior of the bed. IMO it's far superior to the plastic Duraliner I had before which nicked and cracked very easily, and was trashed after 10 years. Also is skid resistant, which is great. The Duraliner was very slick.

BTW if I was borrowing a buddy's new truck to haul a big tool box, I'd use blankets to protect the bed.

I didnt ask what he was picking up so had no idea of the size of it, i didnt find out til the next day it was a huge toolbox. He did ask me if i had any blankets, i told him i have a bed mat in it, never thinking about the wheel wells. They wouldn't have helped the dents tho.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

Maybe the stuff they spray now is much better than in '98 because I beat the hell out of it, sliding/dropping heavy ovens, dishwashers, cooktops, etc. with sharp edges across it daily, and it's holding up great. I'd never get a plastic liner again.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Just touch it up with some rattle can. You should buy a mat, no worries scuffing the floor and things won't slide around on you.

LINK

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Mine is a penda-liner. It's held up pretty well, and for a lot of years, the only thing is that it rubs through the paint in some spots.

I never really worried much about the paint rubbing through... I shot a gallon of un-thinned Rustoleum primer in the bed first, built up a nice heavy coat. I'm more concerned with how the bed gets beat to crap with a simple spray in liner. The drop-in liners go waaaaay farther to protect the bed.