Tow better with my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregg kellogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to throw something out there to the group. I don't tow much at all, in fact, haven't done it in yrs, but I need to tow an open car trailer with whatever treasure I want to drag home. I'm not sure what a 18' open trailer weighs, and know a '59 Imperial is more than a '67 Dart, but I'm thinking maybe 6000 lbs?

I have a standard cab that I bought new, short bed '17 Tradesman with a 5.7, 8 sp, 3.21 open rear end, and less than 40K miles. I've got basically 2 questions about my truck in particular, and of course open to suggestions and constructive criticism.

> Should I go to a steeper rear end? I was thinking a 3.91 and limited slip while I'm in there. Would help with tow plus make it more fun generally driving around unloaded.

> Would the shorter wheelbase of this truck make it "squirrelly" with a trailer attached as described?

I really like this truck plus hate to spend the $$ for something I do occasionally. I have no debts except our mortgage and we've been here for almost 20 yrs, so paid down good and have lots of equity in the house. Point being I'm really careful about what I buy and really don't like payments. I don't anticipate towing a lot, but do need to go, well, anywhere in the country, not just flatstanistan Florida where I live, to get/take a car or old truck.

Wifey & I also talk about maybe doing some RV, but would be something like a 22' or smaller travel trailer, and really probably in the 16' range, so again, don't need a huge truck for that.

Thoughts?

TIA

SilverRAM0708

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Crew Cab Big Horn
Engine
6.4L Hemi
New to owning a RAM truck. I am an avid camper and we have a 30’ travel trailer. Since I am new to the RAM I am looking for some info on the air ride the truck came equipped with. I know that there are two rides heights and then it can also sense the trailer and then auto level? Wondering how to setup my hitch with the weight distribution and then how to hook up and in hook the best way to utilize the pros of the air ride. So, basically I am looking for the setup suggestions for getting the travel trailer setup and hooked up to the RAM for the first time. I have a 2017 2500 Crew with the 6.4L Hemi. Came equipped with air ride and has the option for tow haul mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated.