Tow capacity confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
SAE J2807 is a testing standard, all the manufacturers have to adhere to the same parameters to make the ratings comparable. There is break downs how how and where all of the weights applied within the test vehicle. They even specify that the vehicle must include options that have a 33% penetration of vehicles sold(options equiped on 33% of the number of vehicles built/sold).
The big numbers to adhere to are the GAWRs and (secondly) GVWR. Just because your under those numbers doesn't mean your safe, there are some people that I don't trust with 500 lbs in the bed let alone towing anything.
Same goes for the think that if the trailer/load is on the edge for a 1500 that if you move up to a 2500 the same care and due diligence doesn't need to be adhered to. I would much rather drive along side someone that's pushing a 1500 slightly over the max who knows what their towing than some who slaps a trailer on the back of a 2500 and thinks "this truck will tow this no problem". There is a lot of misinformed people that think a WDH doesn't apply to 2500/3500s.
Yes, I fully understandsrand the SAE document.

Which is why i posed those questions.

They state those numbers. They are obviously not used in the determination on his truck.

Yes. The numbers to know are GVWR and GCWR.

Which he knew. 7100 and 17000. Also, the axle ratings allow you a little bit of cheat room. A little bit.

The best thing to do is use a CAT scale...but very, very few dealerships are going to allow you to team up with an RV dealership and take your prospective truck and trailer to the scale.

This would be the best case scenario.

So you are left to the ratings.

Which are not able to be reproduced in the real world...unless you weigh 150lbs and only have 150lbs of cargo on a trailer setup exactly with a 10% tongue rate.

And in the case of @2019RamInSC to use his found number...nothing can be in the truck.

Hence the issue with using numbers vs a scale.

Slayer1962

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have been in trucking for 30 years plus. I have towed campers, 5 different boats at least . Towed double trailers up and down the east coast too.
My diesel van has an incredible towing power. My Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi is ram is rated higher and tows better overall. Let me explain a little, the van pulls like there is nothing behind it literally! Try and stop or worse yet slow way down for a turn and feel the push! The van pulls better the Ram tows better overall. If you adjust to how your vehicle tows you are better off than relying on a rating. Yes never tow more than its rated for , but you should learn how your vehicle tows and handles. The truck is so much smoother at highway speeds too. The van I keep it at 55 mph because it gets bounced around more. The Ram 65 is no issue. ( dual wheel custom boat trailer.) The truck I get a little into it just before a hill, the van pulls steady no worries . The van I slow down way before turns and the truck not as much. You will know if you are towing too much: hard to pull moderate hills, hard to control at highway speeds, Hard to run or stop going down hill. My current trailer has brakes on both axles which is a big help. Baby steps id my suggestion when towing. Try towing a few miles locally, then try a little highway them maybe some hills. Do this before you decide to tow far. I had a toy hauler that held 3 ATV;s and we loaded up and went from northern NJ top West Virginia. This turned into a nightmare in the mountains of West Virginia. My buddies Chevy pick up did not like towing that much weight on hills. ( we had towed the same trailer truck combo to PA many times without issues.) The point , learn your vehicle and adjust to conditions while staying under maximum weight

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all for the info and insight.

FYI We took a short break in trip to a campground around 75 miles away. Mostly secondary roads with 60 mph limits. And about 20 miles on interstate. The RAM towed the trailer very well. No issues, no trailer sway with 18 wheelers passing. I am not a rookie driving trucks with trailers. 71 years old an NEVER had one accident.

So, the way I see it. I made the mistake of believing the information on line. See attachment. Before we bought the truck. What I have is livable. We wont load the Ram up. Everything we need fits in the trailer. I will be close to limits with truck payload. I will be well below limits in towing capacity and Gross combined weight.

Thanks again.

And yes, I will be going to the scales during our next camping trip on May 12. We shall see.

Tow and Payload capacities.jpg

Last edited:

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Now that makes sense.

The website offers you the same amount per configuration. Configuration is only cab size, bed size, engine, and 2wd or 4wd.

A member at 5th Gens had a law suit and now there configurator is much better...but you need a VIN to get the specific information.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now that makes sense.

The website offers you the same amount per configuration. Configuration is only cab size, bed size, engine, and 2wd or 4wd.

A member at 5th Gens had a law suit and now there configurator is much better...but you need a VIN to get the specific information.

The problem is that web site I showed above shows a maximum payload of 1840 lbs . My actual payload is 1389 lbs. Now that is a difference of 451 lbs. How is that possible? There is no way I could get 451 lbs of options above what I already have. Our Laramie has most all options.

Anyway, have fun all.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Because the 1840 is a 2wd v6 quad cab.

It was a generic number that the website applied to all trucks.

Annoying and problematic.

We spent a year compiling payloads at the 5th Gen site. It took along time to get it into the members there heads that it was a specific configuration that They were using as the truck. Very unfair to anyone researching.

Lots of info there about payload and towing numbers

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because the 1840 is a 2wd v6 quad cab.

It was a generic number that the website applied to all trucks.

Annoying and problematic.

We spent a year compiling payloads at the 5th Gen site. It took along time to get it into the members there heads that it was a specific configuration that They were using as the truck. Very unfair to anyone researching.

Lots of info there about payload and towing numbers

5th Gen site ??? On this forum or where???