Tow/haul mode and moderate grades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpxr400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
He all, I have a question I've searched for information on there - but done specific to this.
I have a 2006 Ram 2500 QC with Hemi, tow package, and pretty sure 4.10 gears - towing about a 7k camper.
When we hit mild to moderate grade in tow/haul mode, it will downshift to 3d?? gear and the engine will scream at about 5500 rpms.
It will do the same thing in OD Off.
In this case, I think the 4.10s are hindering a bit - causing the engine to rev so high. I understand I get more torque with the steeper gears.
So, questions:
- Is it safe for this engine to rev at this speed for any length of time?
- Is there anything that I could/should do differently?
- Should I consider getting a programmer to modify the shift points to something more appropriate?

Thanks!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you don't like the high rpm of towing with a gasser then buy a diesel.
The torque peak of the Hemi is around 4K rpms, pulling a grade with a gasser the engine will be up in that range. Another thing against you is the RFE transmission, the gear stagger is horrible for towing.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
As I recall ( I could be wrong) the only available gear ratio for 2500's those years was 3.73, except for the Power Wagon (they got 4.56's).