Tow/Haul Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Santo Tomasine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you engage tow haul mode every time you tow? Do I really need it on if I am towing my camper on just flat thruway? Looking for any tips or advice.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s best to engage it every time but you don’t have to. It just changes the way the transmission shifts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tow mode is designed for towing , helps the transmission run cooler by eliminating gear searching, helps keep the RPM's up in the power curve.

I hit tow mode every time pulling the trailer.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Manufacturers recommend using Tow Haul when the truck and trailer weight exceed 75% of the GCWR for the truck. Take the GVWR and subtract the weight of the truck and you have the trailer load above which Tow Haul is advantageous.

For my 2500 truck with its GVWR of 24,500 lbs and a truck weight 7,240 lbs that mean I should use Tow Haul mode when the trailer weight exceeds 11,000 lbs.

Tow Haul mode is designed to minimize temperature of the ATF when pulling a very heavy tow load. I can use Tow Haul with a lesser tow load but it provides no benefit and it results in a rougher ride and reduced fuel economy.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Do you engage tow haul mode every time you tow? Do I really need it on if I am towing my camper on just flat thruway? Looking for any tips or advice.
It is recommended. It will cost you in fuel economy but you gain in drive train life. Try it both on and off. You’ll feel the difference.

Most of my towing is with my company truck, F550 w/V10. It scales at 14K loaded with utility boxes, tools, parts etc, then I hang trailers behind it too. I always engage it. We have 700 of these F550s in our fleet. Many have blown at <60K. I’m at 90K and it runs like a sewing machine. Others don’t use their Tow/Haul....hmmmm. I’ve never towed anything over 2K with my Ram without engaging Tow/Haul. Just me being me.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I believe tow/Haul is to be used anytime you have a load

I do not use it on moderate highway as it doesnt allow the truck to just coast.

I use it engaged when driving in the mountains/hills. I use it engaged when going up and down for power and braking. I do not like riding the brakes going down a hill.

When I tow and am on back roads I use tow/Haul and select 4th gear. The truck then is just perfect in the power band and rarely shifts.

That's my opinion.

OP
OP
S

Santo Tomasine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I towed about 4 hours pulling my camper, 6400lbs empty. The truck towed perfectly and had zero issues. 90% of the drive was highway. I noticed the truck always in high RPM with tow haul engaged even on flat surfaces. I know I have the gear select option on my wheel, how does that work? I have another trip in a few weeks and am going to try towing with tow haul off when on the highway

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yes, definitely on the highway tow with it off. Otherwise you will have a downshift if you exceed the speed limit.

When on side roads or more hilly highway engage tow haul.

You wont want to use the gear selector on the high way either.

To use the gear selector. Just push minus on the switch. I use 4 to get out of the two. Overdrive 5th and 6th.

4 allowd the truck to stay at about 2 grand at 55 mph. It allows for decent fuel economy and power on stand by.

This scenario is for 392 Hemi with 6spd auto and 3.73 gears.

I have tried selecting 2nd for steeper grades but it still hits that damn 1st gear.

I have since learned that You have to be very selective with the pressure on the gas.

I really wish the gear selector not only limited up shifts but also downshifts.

My 99 V10 with 5spd is very similar to the 392. I would just grab 3rd gear and apply throttle. Unfortunately with the 392 and 6 spd selecting 3rd and adding throttle results in a harsh shift to 1st and 5500 rpm

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
my trailer is 6000# and I use tow/haul. holds lower gears a little longer when getting up to speed..does run a cpl. hundred rpms higher. I guess you could hold 7th or 6th but tow/haul no muss no fuss.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I towed about 4 hours pulling my camper, 6400lbs empty. The truck towed perfectly and had zero issues. 90% of the drive was highway. I noticed the truck always in high RPM with tow haul engaged even on flat surfaces. I know I have the gear select option on my wheel, how does that work? I have another trip in a few weeks and am going to try towing with tow haul off when on the highway

Define high RPM?

When to use tow haul,

NUMBER 1 time - if you are constantly shifting up and down gears at a steady speed - loaded or unloaded. Could be just constant rolling hills.
Try tow haul and see if it reduces or eliminates those shifts - which it will do most of the time by holding a lower gear.
BUT if still shifting often in tow haul mode - leave tow haul on AND hit your - button on the wheel to see what gear you are in. It will vary depending on rear gears/load/terrain/wind etc. If you are still shifting often and shifting between 7th and 8th gear, hit the - button again and limit the highest gear to 7th gear. This will stop most to all of the constant shifting but will cost some mpg and run higher rpms (which the hemi loves higher rpms and it is ok to run there, 2000-3500 rpms extended).
If you shifting is between 6th and 7th gear, do the same but lock in 6th gear - etc etc etc.

NUMBER 2 time - usually when loaded and coming down hills or to stops often. Tow haul will automatically down shift a gear or more earlier to use engine braking and help save your truck/trailer brakes.
It will also delaying upshifting when leaving from a stop until you reach a higher speed/less engine load.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which rear gears do you have? 3.21 or 3.92?

Did you check what gear you were running in via the +/- button?

That's not really high rpm for the hemi to run at, but like you I prefer a few hundred lower rpms. I am used to engines with more low end torque.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When to use tow haul
I'll make the list simpler for you, anytime your towing.
It keeps the engine up in the torque band as to not lug the engine (yes you can lug a gas motor).

I'd you want to tow at 2K or less, sell the truck and buy a diesel. The Hemi torque peak is 4K rpms so your rpms will be higher while towing as it's the torque that pulls a trailer. Before you go "but horsepower" that just how fast you can put the torque down.
These 8HP transmissions are your typical slush box, they're usually spot on.

OP
OP
S

Santo Tomasine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you everyone for the info. I am coming from a silverado to this ram and was making sure everything was in order.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
i had my cruise set to 66mph and was between 2500-3000 rpm the whole time.

that sounds high..I have the 3.92 gears and set cruise for 67-68 and it settles in at about 2100 rpm..my trailer is around 6000# and 28'

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4

Not only do I engage it while towing, I engage it when I'm traveling the back roads and hills of the northeast. It changes the shift patterns and helps accommodate the hill climbing ability of the 6.4 gasser. I like the way it uses engine braking on the downhill side of the mountains, too.

But, no, you don't HAVE to engage it. It just makes the truck work better in certain situations. You'll figure it out by trial and error.

Eddie S

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I use tow haul around town as well as when i am towing my trailers......
I have 3:92 gears and tow haul makes the driving local experience much better.
I always turn it off on the turnpike and long flat highways around here.....

Just my opinion and no animals were hurt during this post!!

Marathon84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What if I put 1000 pounds of floor tile in the bed - I should use tow/haul then, right?