Tow hook install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Llamafood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any ideas how to get this bolt to drop free to install tow hooks? Purchased a 2019 Laramie without factory hooks. Bought the mopar kit. It came with instructions and the bolt that you reuse in the frame dropped out of the top of the frame but won't drop free through the bottom. 20180529_212529.jpg 20180529_212607.jpg

OP
OP
L

Llamafood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's like it has a cap on it. It hangs loose in the frame and moves up and down freely but won't drop free

OP
OP
L

Llamafood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I had to take my truck in for warranty on another issue. While there I asked the tech to look at with me. It had him stumped for about 10 min. Eventually I used a pry bar to put pressure on the exposed head of the bolt while he used his impact and the bolt came out. Turns out there is retaining washer inside the frame holding the bolt in. Once you break through the washer once you can remove the bolt and install a needed Hopefully this helps anyone else trying to add tow hooks.

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Hello! Where did you purchase the tow hooks from?

Doxmia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For anyone else wanting to remove/install tow hooks; you don't remove this bolt.

The tow hooks are designed that they can slide on to (and off of) the loose the bolt, you just loosen it, put the tow hook a little past the mounting point and around the bolt and then pull it away from the truck (towards the front) to have the bolt seat in the correct location on the tow hook then tighted it right back up.

The same goes for removing them, you can just loosen the two bolts on the frame (not remove) and just lightly pound the front of the tow hook towards the back of the truck and they slide off the bolts.

Source: Removed mine today for powder coating.

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the insight. This explains the notch on the tow hook where that frame bolt goes.

What color are you painting them?

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Three available just popped up on eBay from Avondale Dodge. I ordered one and the page says delivery by this Friday. Hope that’s true, but holding my breath since these have been on national backorder.

OP
OP
L

Llamafood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For anyone else wanting to remove/install tow hooks; you don't remove this bolt.

The tow hooks are designed that they can slide on to (and off of) the loose the bolt, you just loosen it, put the tow hook a little past the mounting point and around the bolt and then pull it away from the truck (towards the front) to have the bolt seat in the correct location on the tow hook then tighted it right back up.

The same goes for removing them, you can just loosen the two bolts on the frame (not remove) and just lightly pound the front of the tow hook towards the back of the truck and they slide off the bolts.

Source: Removed mine today for powder coating.
That's true If you have existing hooks. Those of us without hooks from factory dont have that bolt. The other bolt that gave me trouble is the existing frame bolt which must be removed as it doesn't have the half hook insert like the other bolt you are referencing does

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
That's true If you have existing hooks. Those of us without hooks from factory dont have that bolt. The other bolt that gave me trouble is the existing frame bolt which must be removed as it doesn't have the half hook insert like the other bolt you are referencing does

Thanks for pointing that out! I see what you mean.

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L

Does the retaining washer on that bolt remain in the frame?

OP
OP
L

Llamafood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup. I didn't have any trouble reinstalling and hitting the torque spec the instructions called for. Just that initial removal was a bit of a head scratch

OP
OP
L

Llamafood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why did the mods move this to the 4th gen section? This is a 5th gen 2019 tow hook install.

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Phase 1 done. Cutout the center of the coverplates with my dremel and reinstalled it. I plan to install the hooks on Saturday.