Tow Mirrors in the Tow Position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Why do so many RAM owners drive around with the mirrors in the tow position (at all times)? I don't feel like I get better visibility when they are up.. so I assume that means you all just do it for the look? Personally I think it looks silly when you aren't towing something but hey, to each their own.

iXEOEW2s9osier-P0jUsOzCvtkrQcgzLpnUfZio0A8AFJURG8q.jpg

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never understood the hatred for leaving the mirrors up? Ford and Chevy tow mirrors are “up all the time”, and no one hates on them?

I think the better visibility part has to do with the convex part of the mirror. Because of how it is shaped, it gives a tall skinny view when the mirrors are down, and a shorter but much wider view when up.

Honestly, if I had tow mirrors(might get them some day), I’d probably leave them up just so I didn’t have to keep readjusting them every time I hooked up to my trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I tow my TT and utility trailer frequently, and I leave them up sometimes out of pure laziness. I hate the way they look in the tow position. I can’t stand having to readjust them all the time. I’m really disappointed RAM didn’t come up with something different for the 5th gens. At the very least, instead of having them power fold in, they should have them power fold into and out of the tow position, and have memory for the mirror positions.

Now, for the ones you see that are leveled and always have the mirrors up, maybe they need to complete the illusion that they really are hauling a ghost trailer. They got the mirrors up, and they got the squat look from being leveled so it always looks like they’re hauling something.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I agree that manufacturers should come up with a power fold option for tow mirrors. They can come up with various ways to heat and cool interior parts lol, so something such as this should be easy. But I know a lot of people who tow with their Ram and yes for them it’s just easier to leave them up.

dan212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used to flip them down when not towing. But after a while I realized that I really did have better visibility. This is especially true in busy traffic situations. The smaller split mirror is especially useful. Leaving them up, I don't have to readjust the split mirror.

I don't care how it looks. I care how I can see.

Why do so many RAM owners drive around with the mirrors in the tow position (at all times)? I don't feel like I get better visibility when they are up.. so I assume that means you all just do it for the look? Personally I think it looks silly when you aren't towing something but hey, to each their own.

iXEOEW2s9osier-P0jUsOzCvtkrQcgzLpnUfZio0A8AFJURG8q.jpg

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Run with mine up all the time, because visibility is important to me, and like the others have said, my truck, my payment, my business.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40
2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Never understood the hatred for leaving the mirrors up? Ford and Chevy tow mirrors are “up all the time”, and no one hates on them?

Funny isn't it? Just because Ram has an intuitive design where you can put them down if you so desire they get made fun of lol. Makes sense...

Most of the time I leave mine down. But on certain roads and in bad weather (snow) I put them up, because they really do help me see a bit better. Not only behind the truck but next to the truck and the blind spots. Can see the back tires a little easier which is nice in the snow. Especially in the 2500 which is higher and longer. Couldn’t care less what people think.

xXIUlZb.jpg

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't like the way they look turned up either and my trailer is only 19' so I leave mine down all the time.

I see guys with theirs turned up driving around empty all the time and if that is what they like so be it.

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I love mine in the "tow position". It completes the big boy look.

There is no mistaking those mirrors in that position, and you can see them a mile away. Makes me think, "here comes a big bad RAM" when I see it.

My salesguy actually rotated them out when I picked up my truck, and I initially thought it was strange. I remembered all you non-believers on the RamForum laughing about it. I decided to drive it that way just to get a feel for. Got a couple comments about it at work, and just attributed it to them being jealous cause they don't drive a RAM.

I rotated them in after a couple weeks. It lost the distinctive RAM look, and just felt wrong. Those mirrors need to be displayed proudly.

I can actually see better with the in tow mode. The little mirror is in horizontal position a provides a good view of side of truck, back wheel, behind truck, blind spot, and etc. No more breaking my neck to see who was beside me like in my old 1500. Plus, somehow, in the big part of the mirror, it seems like I can also see all the way to the opposite side of the truck. Towing with those mirrors also provides an awesome view. Without them (like on my old 1500), the only way i could see behind me when towing a big trailer was to turn the truck a little. Needless to say, I've come to really like my tow mirrors.

To all those with tow mirrors, don't listen to the non-believers.

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Forgot to mention, I see more with the mirrors rotated out than in around here (E. TX).

Plus, as Shrek says, "Better out than in" (think topic was belching).

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to try mine up when I get the truck back. I could see great out of my regular mirrors and little add on stick mirror on my old truck. I find my self second guessing now, if I can see better with them up - then up they will stay.

OP
OP
sdyk

sdyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just for clarification, I wasn't hating on anyone. The meme I posted was all in good fun. I was just honestly curious what everyone's reasoning behind leaving them up was (aesthetic, visibility, don't like changing them back and forth). I wouldn't tell anyone what they should do with their truck (unsolicited). I'd have less respect for someone if they did something just because of what I or anyone else thought

Maybe I'll have to try them in the up position a while longer and see if I notice the visibility..

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

That’s actually not the video i meant to link but still damn funny!