Tow Mirrors Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenneth J Nelan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
Hey Ya'all,

Okay - this is only my second post... I hope it's in the right area - this isn't so much a question about towing as it is a question about the tow mirrors. If it's in the wrong area, I sincerely apologize.

I haz a new-to-me 2014 1500 Big Horn with the factory tow mirrors - non-electric folding. They do have the puddle lights, turn signals, temperature sensor, and heat - and fold out like the regular tow mirrors. Every night to get the truck in the garage I have to begin backing into the garage, stop just in the right area that gives me room before the mirror hits the garage, climb over the console, pull the mirror in, get back in the driver seat, back in a bit more, stop and let the mirror out, get back in the driver seat and finish backing up. All of this could be resolved with getting the power-folding mirrors. BUT... that leaves me with a huge question as to which ones.

I'm barely familiar with alfaOBD, and am happy to try it out, but do I buy the regular folding mirrors and then the interior door switch, or do I need to also change out the modules inside the door panels?

I've seen these: https://www.infotainment.com/produc...folding-mirrors-package?variant=6826895179812
and these: https://www.1aauto.com/2013-18-ram-...ror-set-trail-ridge/i/trmrp00042/1111810/2014

There is obviously a HUGE price difference and with what is included. The infotainment product has everything - the modules, the mirrors, the door switch, harness, and even an obd programmer. The other seems more like a direct replacement. Can I use the direct replacement and then just turn on the folding mirror with alfaOBD?

Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Kenn
KN9KJN

OP
OP
Kenneth J Nelan

Kenneth J Nelan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
Okay - found a couple of forum posts that suggest I also have to change the modules in the doors. Those don't look wildly expensive so I may try to put together my own list of parts for my 2014... I'm sure I can do it for much less than the first link above.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay - found a couple of forum posts that suggest I also have to change the modules in the doors. Those don't look wildly expensive so I may try to put together my own list of parts for my 2014... I'm sure I can do it for much less than the first link above.
Do yourself a huge favor and avoid Infotainment and their Genie. You can order the correct door modules and master switch from Benny @AllMoparParts.com in the vendor section of the forum. They have competitive prices and he is well aware of all of the mods we do to these trucks. Purchase the Alfa tool for $49 on the Google Play store and then get the OBD Link MX or OBD Link MX+ from ScanTool to connect to the truck. You will also need an android based phone or tablet. The total cost of the Alfa tool is usually less than the Genie that is only capable of enabling the codes for the mirror as compared to the Alfa which can enable or disable pretty much any code you want plus verify the code is set. It can also run diagnostics and DTC codes and even program keys to your truck if needed. It's truly an awesome tool which is why its so popular. As far as the mirrors themselves the power fold tow mirrors are hard to find used because they haven't been available that long. Trail Ridge seems to be a popular aftermarket brand. If you go that direction make sure the mirrors have all the same features as your plus the power fold option. You can also enable the passenger side Auto Dim with the Alfa tool if you find and Auto Dim capable passenger side mirror. Watch out for cheap knock off brands you see on Amazon and Ebay. People have had issues with some of the features not working correctly with them. You also may want to check with Benny @AllMoparParts.com and see what it would cost for a set of OEM mirrors.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kenneth J Nelan

Kenneth J Nelan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
Ricks,

Thank you much for the info - I was not aware of @AllMoparParts.com - I will check with them regarding the door modules.

I already found the mirrors for under $300 and bought them, as well as the interior door switch for driver-side under $30. I could not find a set with autodim for the driver's mirror, but I didn't have dim feature to begin with, so it's no loss for me. Now I just need the door modules unless the ones that come stock can do power-folding. I'll check with allmoparparts.com

I already have an OBDII reader/programmer, as well as alfaOBD from other projects.

2018power wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just ordered the drivers side tow mirror to replace for a accident that knocked out all the glass, it is $967.63 from the dealer and took them 4 or 5 days to get in. They are heated, power fold, motorized,puddle light, and turn signal and I believe the outside temp sensor is in there. Now waiting for dealer to install this week can't wait to see how much the installation is.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
2018Power Wagon

If just the glass was broken & the rest is still usable, hang onto it
The replacement Mirror Glass can be got from the Dealership Parts Dept.

The Service Advisors either don't know about it, or they just want the BIG Sale, Cha Ching