Tow package info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BCross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New to towing and looking to buy a RAM 1500, probably 2010-2014, to tow horse trailer. Empty about 3,500 lbs, loaded around 7,000 lbs.

What is included in RAM 1500 factory "tow package"?

Would it be reasonable to get truck without a tow package and upgrade?

Anything else should have / consider?

Thanks!

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I've always felt that it's better to get the factory tow package. You usually get upgraded cooling, alternator and on our RAMs, an integrated brake controler. And then there's the tow mirrors. Although if you're getting a 2019 I've heard that the standard mirrors are actually pretty good for most towing until you get to the really big stuff. But if you're towing really big, you really want a 2500+ anyway. :) Most of the above can be added after, but you either end up with aftermarket that may not blend into the truck as well, or you pay a LOT more money to the dealer to add them.

-K

OP
OP
B

BCross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, that's helpful.

I have found some RAM 1500s with a towing package and a Class 3 hitch. I understand these have a maximum capacity of 6,000 lbs - wondering if they also come with higher class hitch or if OK to upgrade a Class 3 ?

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Thanks, that's helpful.

I have found some RAM 1500s with a towing package and a Class 3 hitch. I understand these have a maximum capacity of 6,000 lbs - wondering if they also come with higher class hitch or if OK to upgrade a Class 3 ?

Yeah are you sure it's a class 3? I agree with the post above all 4th gen Ram 1500's I've owned have class 4 hitches.

My 2014 with the tow package is rated to tow 9700 pounds.. and that's because I have a limited so my capacity is reduced a bit.

OP
OP
B

BCross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going by for sale ads that indicate class 3 ... googled a bit more and seems can have different classes - but can upgrade

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
My 2014 Laramie 5.7 had a 392 gear and tow package good for 10200 Lbs

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

That 6K lbs is just a plain receiver w/ball mount, which is more than you'll want to tow without a WDH. The weight capacity when used with a WDH is usually 1K tongue 10K max trailer weight.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mine came with a class IV receiver and a brake control but not the extra wide towing mirrors (which I didn't want anyway and also think the normal mirrors are far better than on my old F150). Specs note it has the auxiliary trans cooler. The heaviest towing I will be doing is my dad's 12 foot trailer loaded with a side-by-side. Also I think the choice of engine may also impact what cooling features come on the truck. Don't forget to consider the gear ratio.
Wouldn't it be cheaper & easier to get a truck with the needed towing equipment already on it if you can find one? I also agree that you may need to consider a 2500.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 09 has the tow package (according to the build sheet), and I don't have the brake controller or tow mirrors, but I do have the added trans cooler 4/7 pin plug and a class 4 hitch.

I want to tow a TT, but I'm figuring at staying below 6000lbs total on it. Mine has the 3.55 gears, so I'm limited to around 6500-7000lbs. If I could find a 3.92 rear to swap out I might do it. Gear swaps are pretty expensive, and it would only add about 1k lbs capacity.

Kingrider56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I ask a question that's been answered already. I drive an '09 RAM with the 5.7 Hemi and the factory tow pacakge. I've pulled some light trailers pretty easily but I'm looking at going into a toy hauler. I'm planning to keep the loaded trailer at something between 6500 and 7000 pounds.
So, what have you all did to improve the rear suspension? Air bags, improved shocks?? What about the front end? Any need to upgrade the suspension components up front. I lean towards the idea that, yes, it should be a balanced unit.
Any suggestions??
Thanks.