Tow Vehicle: V6 vs. V8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Hi all:

Looking at 2016-18 Certified Preowned Crew Cab RAM 1500s for use as a tow vehicle for a small (15' 2100 lbs dry) travel trailer.

Just retired, wife works a 3/4 time position so short 2-3 day camping trips planned. Live in rural Nebraska so a 4x4 pickup a good second vehicle too.

Looking at the V6 vs. the 5.7 V8. Like the (slightly) higher MPG on the V6, but more highly optioned V8 models easier to find. Like the apparently durability/reliability of the V6, but interested in having the potential to tow a larger trailer down the line.

I know there's plenty of pros and cons but I'd like current data: case studies a big deal when I worked in IT before retirement so that's how I process information.

Don't care about modding or rodding: did plenty in my yoot on motorcycles, 4x4s, trucks, vans, imports but done with that.

One other question: anyone running Hankook tires? I prefer stock or nearly stock size but when our six kids (three each) were still at home or in college, wound up putting Hankooks on five different family vehicles with good results. Haven't seen any referenced in the many tire threads so throwing this out there.

Ram Forum incredibly helpful for this whole process! Sold serviced and repaired computers and peripherals for over 20 years, like to do my homework for big purchases, thanks in advance.

Mike Mc

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you go with the v6 make sure it has 3.55 rear end as 3.21 with v6 is very limited tow capacity. Either rear end in the v8 can tow what you have and a bit larger. The 3.92 has the most capability. But that said you will likely run out of cargo capacity before your towing capacity on even the 3.21 v8.

Fwiw I have a 2018 hemi with 3.21 and tow a 5500lb 24' box TT. Towed thru multiple mountain passes in co this summer and it did very well.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Ignore the manufacturer pin or hitch weight. For a travel trailer, plan on 10-15% hitch weight. For a 5ver (not in the picture here), plan on 20-22% for pin weight.

Now look at the payloads for the 1500 trucks. The higher the trim level, the less payload. 1500s vary 500-800 pounds. 2500s vary slightly more, but they have more available. For 3500s, (which I just bought) I found 800-1200 pounds different between trims.

The best bet is to look at the door decalfor the payloads.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to own a Tradesman V6 4x4 with 3.55 gearing and it towed a single axle Wolfpup trailer without any issues. Because of the lousy quality of the trailer (built to a price point) it was replaced with a larger Nash 17k. The Nash is a double axle, taller and wider with 7000 GVWR. The 1500 would still tow it well in the flats but a lot of my camping involves going into the mountains where the engine revs at 5k+ rpms for extended periods. The gotcha is that the 305hp are developed at 6200 rpm so when running at 5000-5500 rpm only some 250-260hp are on tap. That was the main driver to replace the truck with a similar age 2500 with the 5.7 which has much higher torque (400 ft/lbs vs 267).

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
Don't think about just the weight, but also the profile of the camper. If you know for sure you won't end up with a larger camper, you might be okay with a V6, but if there's any doubt, I'd opt for the V8. Even if you're not towing in the hills, the wind on the flats can be more of a nuisance than towing in the hills with the constant barrage of wind against a barn on wheels.
Bottom line: the V8 gives you options. The V6 limits your options. Stay at or below the Big Horn trim level if you want a reasonable payload. 3.21 gears will tow fine up to their max of 8,000 ish pounds- been there and done that. The 3.92 gears will realistically not be able to trailer their max load due to the payload being too low, but it will probably make a difference in the hills. Essentially, a 3.92 truck is like driving a 3.21 geared truck in one gear lower. Take whatever gear ratio is available in a good package deal for you, which will likely be 3.21.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Also think about resale. If you decide to go bigger later and need to trade in for a bigger truck the V6 is less desirable so will get less for trade in.

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also think about resale. If you decide to go bigger later and need to trade in for a bigger truck the V6 is less desirable so will get less for trade in.

But the Hemi costs more up front. Therefore, trade in value is a non issue.
However ... as much as I love my Pentastar and I am impressed with how it tows within its limits, if I even remotely thought I would tow any larger or more often than I do, I would go with the Hemi ...

edited to actually make sense ...

Last edited:

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

That actually isn’t the case in my area, the pentastar is the much rarer engine option and tends to fetch a little more. We also had 6speed/hemi in lower trim levels right to the end of 4th gen though.

That small a trailer will be happy behind the V6. I tow this, and it’s isn’t flat here... and have stupid 3.21s.
BE32715C-E481-4FB5-83F4-AB78B7EC4AF5.jpeg

OP
OP
BlueGuyRedState
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Thanks everyone. Heading for nearest RAM dealer next week to test drive a couple of Certified RAM 1500s. Wife already thinks a V8 might not be a bad idea (her older brother runs a motorcycle repair shop, younger brother and SIL are Jeep fanatics...). Yes, I married well - this time!

Last truck I had (99 Mazda B3000, Ranger clone) I wound up going FULL synthetic on it to squeeze more MPG (and service life) out of it. Do RAMs do well going this route? Or maybe synth in the engine only? Curious what the four wheelers and tow crowd have experienced.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If you opt for the hemi, I'd suggest Redline full synthetic oil (esters based formula with extra zddp) and a royal purple oil filter. Research "hemi tick" for more info. On some trucks there have been cam and lifter failures. Pretty isolated overall I believe, but utilizing Redline oil and a good oil filter is important for the hemi.

Richg87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock
Engine
V6 Pentastar
That actually isn’t the case in my area, the pentastar is the much rarer engine option and tends to fetch a little more. We also had 6speed/hemi in lower trim levels right to the end of 4th gen though.

That small a trailer will be happy behind the V6. I tow this, and it’s isn’t flat here... and have stupid 3.21s.
View attachment 221213

I concur. I purchased my V6 in January. Dealer had 100s of trucks on the lot and only 2 or 3 with the Pentastar. I had a Ridgeline for 11+ years and had no issues with getting a RAM with a V6. As far as pulling a light trailer, the V6 with 3.21 is fine.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I have a 2019 Limited V6 and I love it. I will never be towing anything. Plenty of power for passengers. I would not recommend for towing.
Here is a very recent video that will help you think in a different way. Good luck.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My experience with the V6 is limited but from reading about it, it seems like it's a better engine than the Hemi overall. Apart from the obvious difference in power I mean - the design, efficiency and long term reliability seems better on the V6. Now what we all need is a V8 built like the V6 :)

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't have any TT experience yet, but my 7x14 cargo trailer weighs about 2.2 lb. Loaded, I've had it up close to 5K. My '17 Laramie CC V6 pulls it fine. Definitely need to have the 3.55 axle. I've run a "proprietary blend" of 5 quarts Pennzoil synthetic and 1 quart Mobile 1 since the first oil change. (I had a bunch of quarts of Mobile 1 left over!) I'm not sure you'll see a mpg gain with the Pentastar while towing. With my Bug in the trailer (4.5K lb.) I get about 11 mpg. I would get about the same with the Hemi I had before. However, the vast majority of my driving is not towing and that is where I see a gain. For 30K miles, my Hemi RC 2wd averaged 16.8 mpg with most fill-ups being the recommended 89 octane. My Pentastar drinks 87 octane and I'm averaging 20.1 over the past 18K miles. I've done more towing with the V6 by about 500 miles. Just my $.02. If you stay under the weight limits of your truck, I would think you'd be happy with the performance and quality of the Pentastar. Not towing, I've gotten over 25 mpg for a highway trip. Good luck!

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I had a 13 V6 with the towing package and 3:55 gears and it towed my 3500 lb trailer fine. My 17 has the 3:21 gears and it rarely ever gets into 7th gear and changes gears more often. I plan on changing the gears before any more long trips, but I'm thinking 3:73 so we can go through the mountains easier. If I already had the 3:55s I would be happy.
On the flats I got 13.5 mpg average with both.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I bought my '17 Rebel with the V6 because I had had enough with the Hemi for a while (previous three Rams were Hemi). The increased resale is really a wash, the Hemi is a $1500 upcharge (more or less). One of the reasons I went with the Rebel that year was because it came with a 3.92 rear which I wanted for towing. The Pentastar has proven out to be a reliable workhorse with very few known issues and the payload is typically a few hundred pounds greater because it weighs less than the Hemi. That said, the power band seems to be between 2500-4000 rpm so it yells a lot, but it's not mad... lol

Either way, you'll do fine. Good luck!

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
I'm purchasing a 3300 lbs dry weight tt. Should be about 4000 lbs loaded up with passengers and material, I calculated this so carefully as it is still under the 4xxx lbs weight limit of the 3.21 v6. I live in a flat area. Do you think I'll be alright?

Let me put it this way, my 2014 is paid so I do not want to trade up for another payment, regearing my 4x4 could also be expensive so for that 1/12th of the time I drive it. Plus I'm already spending x amount on the trailer... So, if it'll do it fine no problem. Thoughts?

Anthony Musto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My humble opinion, Why even worry about an extra 150 bucks a year in gas? go for the bigger engine if you are going to tow especially if you plan on keeping it long term.

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
My humble opinion, Why even worry about an extra 150 bucks a year in gas? go for the bigger engine if you are going to tow especially if you plan on keeping it long term.

It is definetely more than150 bucks in gas a year, but I get you.