towed with my 17 first time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Sounds like everyone is stuck on a narrow path or view.
Ram Trucks squat, with hardly any weight added to them, either in the box or on a hitch.
It is how they get that awesomely smooth ride. 5th Gens are worse, than 4th Gens but ride better.
IMO.
Smoother without being floating. 5th Gens feel more planted yet still as smooth over bumps, ridges and uneven surfaces.

But, ya get squat.
Did not know Ram OEM Springs were progressive. Could be, thought OEM Springs were a Constant rate of compression but, again, not sure.
I am sure that a set of tuftruck progressive rate springs will keep that OEM ride, give you about the same squat with 3 to 400 lbs but firm up nicely with any weight beyond that. Figure 2 inch squat. I also know that a set of tuftruck Constant rate springs will reduce that squat to practically nil, same 400lb load but your ride will suffer. it will feel even more planted and not nearly as smooth.

I went with the COnstant rate, on myh 2014 4th gen but if I do upgrade springs, on this 5th Gen, it will probably be Progressive rate springs. as I liek this trucks ride.

I recommend upgrading springs, first. Rarely fail upgrade option, if progressive rate, no unloaded ride changes.

NExt upgrade wold be shocks. Will later ride by stiffening up the the bumps but most will not notice nor complain about it.

Lastly, if needed or if makes one feel more comfortable by having the added option, adding air bags.
Go with best you can find.Do not obther with the compressor and all that. Buddy had it, went through them about every 3 years. under warranty but still.
Just get teh bags, themselves, run seperate lines to each bag and have a portable Air pump handy. Pick one for under $50 that will run off A/C or D/C and do the job nicely.

many have gone with just air bags and been quite content.
Depends on situation, load, driver, driving habits and terrain conditions.

No matter what though, hard to beat a new set of big **** springs. Specially if OEM ride doe snot suffer.
No Down side other than cost and cost is less than $300 or close to it.

im with you on this. been weighing my options. it squatted with a washer and dryer in back. my brother in law as a mentioned earlier has a sport that is pretty much identical to my truck other than the interior gadgets and color. he has air lift helpers on his and its a world of difference. he pulls a 9k tt. he uses a wdh when on it but just the open trailer we do not. never have.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
As stated, many use air bags only, and have zero issues.
just like many own Ram Trucks, with zero issues.

However, many own Ram trucks, have experienced the Dreaded Lifter Failure. Had chewed up camshafts and cost them $6k or more, if out of warranty, at teh time.

So, too, have many air bag owners had leaky lines, blown or ripped bags, etc.

I do not know which experience you, or anyone, will have, with anything. I do know that playing with the odds, instead of against them and using basci common sense can solve many problems before they become an issue.

WHich is stronger and least likely to fail? Springs or rubber bag?
Well, then, that's a good starting point.

If one does fail, how big a problem is it, if under a load at the time?
Springs or bag?
Cost? Ease of install.

Added up, springs makes more sense,.

then its just a matter of which springs.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Again, bags are not 'correcting' the problem. Sure, they're lifting the back of the truck up, but that's a band-aid on the issue - and your Chevy had the issue as well, even if you couldn't see it.

The issue is you're putting probably 1200-1500 lbs on the back of the truck, which is more than your hitch receiver is rated for without a WDH. It is likely rated to something closer to 500-600, maybe 700, without WDH. Stiffer springs or bags don't redistribute that weight back to the front of your truck, they just stiffen up the fulcrum point - your rear axle. You've still unloaded the front axle/tires, which means your ability to steer properly is compromised. How much? I can't say without running the rig over a scale. But it HAS happened.

A WDH setup properly will likewise get rid of squat, while ALSO transferring the weight back to your steer axle, giving you better control over the entire rig. A cheap (but still quality) setup, without sway control, costs about $300-350, and when you're unhooked, you still get the same stock ride you had before. It takes an additional 5 minutes to hook up the bars and chains.

I mean...you do you, man. If you're comfortable with what you're doing, that's on you. But from experience, bags are a band-aid at best.

A 2500 will get rid of the squat. If truck is being overloaded. Half tons can't carry much. I upgraded from a 1500 to a 2500 in 2018. Damn glad I did.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I pity the fool who would try that with me...
Not all speed limits are 70mph.
Some go as high as 85mph (Texas).
South Dakota is 80mph. Tickets are pricey but quite a few locals don't seem to care.
Been passed, so fast, thought they had to be doing 95+.

Further North ya go, mile after mile, with not a tree in sight.
Troopers have a hard time finding spots to lay in wait.

Western or Southern Illinois, you will get run over, if only doing 75mph.
Chicago drivers, in my opinion, are the most dangerous, on Interstates.
Something about the open road makes them want to see just how fast that car will go.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Not all speed limits are 70mph.
Some go as high as 85mph (Texas).
South Dakota is 80mph. Tickets are pricey but quite a few locals don't seem to care.
Been passed, so fast, thought they had to be doing 95+.

Further North ya go, mile after mile, with not a tree in sight.
Troopers have a hard time finding spots to lay in wait.

Western or Southern Illinois, you will get run over, if only doing 75mph.
Chicago drivers, in my opinion, are the most dangerous, on Interstates.
Something about the open road makes them want to see just how fast that car will go.

I was in TX last year for 2 weeks an not one time did I ever have a problem driving slower then others from DFW to Galveston and back ( on the way back in north Houston we saw 2 350 Z cars line up for a race, they passed us doing over 100 MPH, all the cars on the fwy were smart and gave them two lanes to race) heck I saw many vehicles drive 55-60 MPH without being run over because the faster drivers knew how to use the other lanes to the left. As for Chicago drivers, dealt with them when I lived in IA (saw a few of them fools scraped up off of the Hwy) & when I drove in that god forsaken state a few times... I also drove around the crazy drivers in MSP area and I-35 south to the MO state line never got run over one time, I have driven several dozen times the past few years on I-90 from Albert Lea MN to Hwy 395 south in Ritzville WA and to date I have not yet been run over by anyone nor have I ever been intimated to make me want to drive faster in WA, SD, MT, WY or MN. Sorry I don't buy the you will be run over BS so I need to drive fast too.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I was in TX last year for 2 weeks an not one time did I ever have a problem driving slower then others from DFW to Galveston and back ( on the way back in north Houston we saw 2 350 Z cars line up for a race, they passed us doing over 100 MPH, all the cars on the fwy were smart and gave them two lanes to race) heck I saw many vehicles drive 55-60 MPH without being run over because the faster drivers knew how to use the other lanes to the left. As for Chicago drivers, dealt with them when I lived in IA (saw a few of them fools scraped up off of the Hwy) & when I drove in that god forsaken state a few times... I also drove around the crazy drivers in MSP area and I-35 south to the MO state line never got run over one time, I have driven several dozen times the past few years on I-90 from Albert Lea MN to Hwy 395 south in Ritzville WA and to date I have not yet been run over by anyone nor have I ever been intimated to make me want to drive faster in WA, SD, MT, WY or MN. Sorry I don't buy the you will be run over BS so I need to drive fast too.
This right here. I have had people come flying up and tailgate me...doesn't make me want to change my speed if I'm running at the speed limit or even under it. Sorry boys, it is called a limit because you aren't supposed to exceed it, it's not a minimum.

When pulling a trailer, loaded or unloaded, I don't go over 65. If someone hits me, well, 1. that's why I have insurance and 2. they're going to be at fault.

I am not concerned about what others think I should be doing, when I'm not the one breaking the law.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Never recommended anyone do anything illegal or what they are uncomfortable with doing. Simply stated, 80 is an actualy speed limit. 70mph is not universal. Doing 80mph could be nothing more than going the actual speed limit.

As with everything, do what makes you happy, what ever you fell comfortable doing.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
His rear springs are not progressive from the factory.
Since you are towing that often, tuff truck springs are probably the way to go and you have 3 options.
The 1210 springs for a 25% increase in capacity, the 1211 for a 50%, the 1223V for a variable rate.

I had the 1211's but went back to stock with Firestone air bags - mainly since my truck rides fairly rough stock and I run the tires around 40-45 psi. But the 1211's ride wasn't harsh at all.

The 1210's would ride a bit softer and still get rid of most if not all of your sag.

The 1223V would ride like stock and sag like stock for the first 2-3" and firm up after that.

OP
OP
N

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
A 2500 will get rid of the squat. If truck is being overloaded. Half tons can't carry much. I upgraded from a 1500 to a 2500 in 2018. Damn glad I did.
i actually had a 2500 before this but it was 05. the truck carrys the load im putting on it fine just has carolina squat when you stick anything on the hitch. idk if its a real problem but i just dont like how it makes it set. it hauls drives fine other than that.

OP
OP
N

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
speed limit is 70 in ky and wv. pretty common for everyone to run 75-80 even the big trucks. its a open trailer with a 4k car. you guys act like im towing the space shuttle here. ive hauled this much weight with a s10 before. which the s10 also didnt squat in the ass either lol.

Last edited: