towing 5th wheel with 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First please don't tell me to buy another truck. My present truck is a 2017 1500 2wd long bed standard cab 5.7 and 8 speed 3.21 and only 24000 miles. Being 2wd and standard cab it is not a popular model in N.E. and if I sold it I wouldn't get a very good price. I also have a 30 ft Cougar 5th wheel trailer (about 10,300lbs I think). What would it take to be able to tow the trailer with the truck distances of no more than 150 miles. I have been towing a tag along about 26 ft with no problem. I figure if I spend 2-3 thousand $ on this truck I would be better off than buying an older truck with a lot of miles on it. I am retired but was an auto mechanic for 30 years so I will be doing most of the work myself. My son also is a professional welder so that would not be a problem.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Short answer: Don’t.

Long answer: Swap out the 3.21 to 4.44. Remove the cab and box and weld braces, frame strengthening re-enforcement. Build a light weight flat deck with hitch points over the diff. Double sized coil springs with airbags. New load E rear tires and rims.

I’ll hazard a guess the the 5er has a wet hitch weight of over 2500lbs. You are far out of half ton truck range.

If you only have to move the 5er once, rent or borrow a 25/3500.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
What's the payload capacity on the door sticker? A 10k, 5th wheel, is going to suck up 2000 lbs of your payload capacity. Maybe as low as 1700 lbs if you pack the 5th wheel light.

If your payload is 2500 lbs, which it very well might be given your setup, you should be fine. You still may need rear suspension airbags to help with sag.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
What's the payload capacity on the door sticker? A 10k, 5th wheel, is going to suck up 2000 lbs of your payload capacity. Maybe as low as 1700 lbs if you pack the 5th wheel light.

If your payload is 2500 lbs, which it very well might be given your setup, you should be fine. You still may need rear suspension airbags to help with sag.

There's no way a 1500 has a 2500 lb payload capacity

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I actually assumed it would be the same payload as the crew cab minus a few hundred lbs because the cab is smaller. After some research it seems the 1500 regular cab must be on a different frame since the payload is actually less than a crew cab.

Yeah 1500 lbs is not going to cut it.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
You are between a rock and a hard place. No matter what you do to make the truck safer for the task it will never be legal.

The only way to fix the issue is to replace one or the other to match the weight restrictions.

If you don't want to replace either end to meet the requirement of the other you can always hire someone to move the trailer for you or if you have a friend with an HD truck (with a sled) you can possibly bribe them with beer or food to move it for you.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, for your safety and sanity, NO NO NO. Talk about the Tail wagging the Dog. Just do not, have someone tow for you, get a different trailer or another truck. But your choice, that 1500 never be legal or safe.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
First please don't tell me to buy another truck. My present truck is a 2017 1500 2wd long bed standard cab 5.7 and 8 speed 3.21 and only 24000 miles. Being 2wd and standard cab it is not a popular model in N.E. and if I sold it I wouldn't get a very good price. I also have a 30 ft Cougar 5th wheel trailer (about 10,300lbs I think). What would it take to be able to tow the trailer with the truck distances of no more than 150 miles. I have been towing a tag along about 26 ft with no problem. I figure if I spend 2-3 thousand $ on this truck I would be better off than buying an older truck with a lot of miles on it. I am retired but was an auto mechanic for 30 years so I will be doing most of the work myself. My son also is a professional welder so that would not be a problem.

Are you looking at purchasing their "Half-Ton" 5th wheels?
If so, you should be in legal limits anyway to pull it. If the truck can do it or if you'll have issue that would be different story.

Would add some heavy duty brakes, new E-Rated Tires. Might also need add air bags to help with sag(remember air bags aren't going change payload or towing, just help with sag)

I've pulled 10k+ with my Rebel. Was legal, Truck has no issues, even up and down hills. Wasn't 5th wheel though, I have short bed.

If you are over the numbers, as few others said above. Look for something a little smaller if you don't want to change the truck.

Just my own personal view. I think 5th's aren't great for towing with 1500's when you get close to max numbers. TT's you can adjust them.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are you looking at purchasing their "Half-Ton" 5th wheels?
If so, you should be in legal limits anyway to pull it.
"Half-Ton Towable" 5th wheels is one of the most misleading advertisements in the RV industry. They can claim it because some manufacturers make a few HD 1500s each year that have a 2500+# payload. Good luck every finding one on a dealer lot, etc.

OP for some reference my +/- 10,000# loaded 5th wheel puts me right at my 3000# payload limit with my HD truck. There are likely things not be accounted for - even a good hitch weights a couple hundred pounds. You're not even in the ballpark with that truck. No set of tires or brake pads is going to get you there either.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
"Half-Ton Towable" 5th wheels is one of the most misleading advertisements in the RV industry. They can claim it because some manufacturers make a few HD 1500s each year that have a 2500+# payload. Good luck every finding one on a dealer lot, etc.

OP for some reference my +/- 10,000# loaded 5th wheel puts me right at my 3000# payload limit with my HD truck. There are likely things not be accounted for - even a good hitch weights a couple hundred pounds. You're not even in the ballpark with that truck. No set of tires or brake pads is going to get you there either.

Not true... Legally anyway.

"Regular" 5th wheels he is referring to have payloads from 1800-2500
"Half-ton" 5th wheels are 1100-1600

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Don't even look at anything else, just look at what cougar says as far as towing a 5th wheel requirements. They will suggest a 1 ton, and at a minimum require a 3/4 ton pickup.

OP
OP
O

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have time. I have experience. I have talent. What I don't have is money. What if I bought a salvaged 2500 rolling chassis?

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have time. I have experience. I have talent. What I don't have is money. What if I bought a salvaged 2500 rolling chassis?
Not really doing help much in my view.
Why not look at different trailers? 30 isn't long, but that 10k weight is high.
should still look for 1/2 purpose built trailer.

could always look for trade. 1500 for 2500. might be older year and more miles.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A 2500 chassis would be a good start. You got the ability and means to do the rest.

I know it's frustrating with all of us telling you the exact thing you don't want to hear but we're saying it because we don't want you or anyone else to get hurt or worse.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
since you have a long bed, that on a 2500 would solve it. 2500 has all of the weight on the wheels with that full float suspension.