Towing a fifth wheel - confused

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I know you guys have been on the edge of your seat waiting for an update ;) so I'll tell you we're almost 100% positive we're going with the lighter one (GD 278BH). We looked at one in person and although it is somewhat small inside, it's enough for the 3 of us and our small dog. The only thing I'm worried about now is the CC of the trailer. Since we're new to camping, I have ZERO idea on what to expect as far as weight of all of our stuff. 600 lbs? 800 lbs? 1000+ lbs? The CC on the unit we looked at was 1767 lbs. So this is why I say we're almost 100% sure. :rotflmao:

Good move. I'd figure on 1,000 lbs of stuff for estimation purposes. About the size, remember it is camping and not meant to be like at home. My wife and two big boys (both taller than me now) still camp in our 31 yr old, 20' box layton. Yes its tight when were all in there at bed time with all the beds pulled out, but again its camping, its supposed to be a change of pace. Close family time.

In this day and age of triple plus slide out campers that feel like a condo inside, I think a lot of the old school type of camping has been lost. Just my .02 though. Good luck

OP
OP
15Ram64

15Ram64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So guys you've been super helpful with helping me with RV size/weight. Now I have a pit in my stomach because the more I read about lifted trucks with larger than stock tires, I'm finding our truck probably needs some serious mods to tow safely. Ugh! We just bought this truck and had we known this prior, we would have kept looking. My husband loves this truck.

I know nothing about lift kits, but obviously our truck has been lifted. I don't know what kind it has though. How can I tell? Is it something we would absolutely have to have removed to tow a fifth wheel? Even if we don't have to remove the lift kit, I would assume that going back to stock size on tires would be an excellent idea. Right? I've read that the 35s lower the gears from 3.73 to a lower number.

8445D9BE-9007-4E57-9E4A-7EBAC443BF4D.jpegIMG_8736.jpeg

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
So guys you've been super helpful with helping me with RV size/weight. Now I have a pit in my stomach because the more I read about lifted trucks with larger than stock tires, I'm finding our truck probably needs some serious mods to tow safely. Ugh! We just bought this truck and had we known this prior, we would have kept looking. My husband loves this truck.

I know nothing about lift kits, but obviously our truck has been lifted. I don't know what kind it has though. How can I tell? Is it something we would absolutely have to have removed to tow a fifth wheel? Even if we don't have to remove the lift kit, I would assume that going back to stock size on tires would be an excellent idea. Right? I've read that the 35s lower the gears from 3.73 to a lower number.

View attachment 222232View attachment 222233

I should have added to my prior post that these days, with these huge campers it seems like more of sleeping in a house in the woods for a few nights as opposed to camping, where the intent should be to spend time outdoors and not in the camper as much as possible, but I digress....lol .

You are correct. I don't know that your truck has a lift kit on it, but it may have a front level. Yes, those larger tires detect from towing performance and you already have a 3.73 geared truck to begin with (like mine).

I'd suggest you look for a set of stock wheels and tire to use when towing at least. If you have a front level, you may need rear airbags to help with rear squat and to keep the truck level (headlights straight) when loaded. You may have needed them anyway, hard to say.

Yeah, lift kits look cool, but they eliminate all the factory rake built in to offset loaded weight in the bed. They are not the best for trucks that are used for their intended purpose (work). Good luck

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO

View attachment 222232View attachment 222233

You will need to measure the bed rail height of your truck. Then go measure the height of the 5th wheel trailer overhang. You need a minimum of 6 inches between the trailer and the bed rails. The trailer should be close to level when hitched.

Now look at the tires. They will have a load rating on them. That load rating should exceed the axle ratings, front and rear.

Also, look at the door stickers on the drivers door jam. That is the stock, as delivered, payload capacity.

Once you have the numbers, do you really want to be above 80% of the rated capacity? How often will you be towing the 5th wheel? How far? Will you be in flat land or mountains?

OP
OP
15Ram64

15Ram64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You will need to measure the bed rail height of your truck. Then go measure the height of the 5th wheel trailer overhang. You need a minimum of 6 inches between the trailer and the bed rails. The trailer should be close to level when hitched.

Now look at the tires. They will have a load rating on them. That load rating should exceed the axle ratings, front and rear.

Also, look at the door stickers on the drivers door jam. That is the stock, as delivered, payload capacity.

Once you have the numbers, do you really want to be above 80% of the rated capacity? How often will you be towing the 5th wheel? How far? Will you be in flat land or mountains?

Okay, here are the stats of the current tires as well as the sticker in the door. Payload is 2991. We will be "weekend warriors" for the most part.

1540F269-AE4D-4CF3-B9F6-50CF1C909299.pngB17BCE1F-B755-409E-8466-CC4D46E357F8_1_201_a.jpeg

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
My guess is you just have a level. The 35s can fit without the level...with a little rub.

I have to agree with what was posted...a level kit is not the best idea. For many reasons...but it is not the end of the show.

Can you go to the dealer and hook the trailer up?

You may be to the point you just need to test fit some trailers.

If you are towing all the time, you will want to fet rid of the level and go down at least one size in tires.

If you are just towing on the weekends a few times a month....you may be just fine as is.

Also...the payload sticker they mentioned is the other one on the door jamb. The tire and loading sticker. It is kinda yellow.

Good luck.

OP
OP
15Ram64

15Ram64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My guess is you just have a level. The 35s can fit without the level...with a little rub.

I have to agree with what was posted...a level kit is not the best idea. For many reasons...but it is not the end of the show.

Can you go to the dealer and hook the trailer up?

You may be to the point you just need to test fit some trailers.

If you are towing all the time, you will want to fet rid of the level and go down at least one size in tires.

If you are just towing on the weekends a few times a month....you may be just fine as is.

Also...the payload sticker they mentioned is the other one on the door jamb. The tire and loading sticker. It is kinda yellow.

Good luck.

The closest dealer that sells this brand is 2 hours away. But I guess worth the drive to know for sure.

We will just be some weekends and plan on taking it for a week to TN next summer (almost a 500 mile drive). Payload is 2991.

There's a place in town that installs all kinds of aftermarket stuff for trucks. We might have to have them look at it to find out exactly what was added.

0E39D187-594D-4579-8354-E131637D4601_1_201_a.jpeg

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
where the intent should be to spend time outdoors and not in the camper as much as possible

I didn't realize we had rules to follow when camping ;)

Tell you what. I bought my RV because it allows me to get out of the house, do road trips, see something new, go on hikes/'yaking, all while being comfortable inside when it is colder, or rainy etc. So just because I love the outdoors, doesn't mean I also don't like reclining in a leather couch at the end of the day where I can stretch out my feet in front of a gas fireplace, enjoy a proper shower etc etc.

Try a modern/luxurious trailer sometime, you might actually like it. I definitely use my trailer with all it's creature comforts more than I would, if I had some 30 year old bare bones trailer. So in the end, my modern trailer gets me into nature more often.

Just a different perspective for you, not saying you have to change your mind.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Mine has 2998 lol.

I think you will be fine with what you have.

Me personally...a level is useless. My truck almost always has cargo in the bed... And my truck quite often gets accused of being leveled...then I flip the bed cover and show the load of wood, or stuff that is in there.

With a level my truck would be doing the carolina squat all the time. To each their own...but I think that looks ridiculous.

The plans you have for the camper and the research you have done, it is time to buy the one you want and head to the outdoors.

Our camper is a 1987 model 24C that we have had for a long time. We camp to have somewhere to stay while we kayak, bike and hike.

We have kept the old one so we have more money for the journey.

Every persons idea of camping is different. But this year...it has been a totally different experience. I always try to explain the fun that is camping to people...but I didn't plan for the outcome when people started taking the advice lol.

Wish I had snapped a pic this weekend. But the reason we have a short camper...is so we can go at a moment's notice to where ever.

A larger camper greatly limits your spots...or requires bringing lots of blocking to get that rig stabilized.

But that is because we mainly boondock or atate park camp.

Just my thoughts.

Each experience is different....but man do I love towing with my 6.4l HEMI wIth 3.73 gears a crew cab and a 8 foot bed. And being outdoors especially in the fall....it is what I like to think Heaven will be.

OP
OP
15Ram64

15Ram64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine has 2998 lol.

I think you will be fine with what you have.

Me personally...a level is useless. My truck almost always has cargo in the bed... And my truck quite often gets accused of being leveled...then I flip the bed cover and show the load of wood, or stuff that is in there.

With a level my truck would be doing the carolina squat all the time. To each their own...but I think that looks ridiculous.

The plans you have for the camper and the research you have done, it is time to buy the one you want and head to the outdoors.

Our camper is a 1987 model 24C that we have had for a long time. We camp to have somewhere to stay while we kayak, bike and hike.

We have kept the old one so we have more money for the journey.

Every persons idea of camping is different. But this year...it has been a totally different experience. I always try to explain the fun that is camping to people...but I didn't plan for the outcome when people started taking the advice lol.

Wish I had snapped a pic this weekend. But the reason we have a short camper...is so we can go at a moment's notice to where ever.

A larger camper greatly limits your spots...or requires bringing lots of blocking to get that rig stabilized.

But that is because we mainly boondock or atate park camp.

Just my thoughts.

Each experience is different....but man do I love towing with my 6.4l HEMI wIth 3.73 gears a crew cab and a 8 foot bed. And being outdoors especially in the fall....it is what I like to think Heaven will be.

So you don't think we need to change the tires? I know the 3.73 is reduced by the current ones, right? I'm so confused (doesn't take much haha).

I've begged my husband for years to get an RV and he had no interest. He's retiring in December so he's finally on board. Our 13 year old is uncertain, but excited about the bunkhouse for his space.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
So you don't think we need to change the tires? I know the 3.73 is reduced by the current ones, right? I'm so confused (doesn't take much haha).

I've begged my husband for years to get an RV and he had no interest. He's retiring in December so he's finally on board. Our 13 year old is uncertain, but excited about the bunkhouse for his space.
This is one of those questions that can not really be answered...but experienced.

The issue with me answering this is...as soon as I do...someone else will read it and say you need a Cummins.:doublepuke: lol

If you take your time towing. If you are okay with just going the speed for conditions.

You will be just fine:hidesbehindsofa:

If you are always running late and feel the need to barrel down the highway at 80 mph. You will be aggravated.

You need to under stand the RPM where the HEMI gets its power.

The 410 horsepower is at 5600 RPM and the 429 lb ft of torque is at 4000 RPM and redline is 5800 RPM.

I like to tow the hills with the truck between 3500 and 4000 RPM...tows like a beast. But, you hear it towing.

A lot of people will let it lug around 2k and then be very disappointed when they can not keep up momentum even when it makes the shift all the way to first.

So. If you will be ok with towing around 62 to 65 on the highway, or do what i do and avoid them all together, you will be ok. I have found the HEMI loves 45 MPH back roads....and enjoys the 55 MPH ones too. 47Mph is its sweet spot.

Now. If this was my situation...since you already own and like the truck as is.

I would buy the trailer...it is almost end of season. I would reserve a nearby site...try about 1 hr away.

I would hook up the trailer and go camping.

On the way...try at least tow/haul mode. If you are in a hilly area...select 4th gear.

I would then make a list of what annoyed you or made you gasp.

If the list was small...stay with the current combo.

If the list had more than a few entries...look at going back to stock size. I am sure someone would take the large tires and wheels off your hands.

I would also make 2 or 3 trips before I decided to change anything....but that ia just me.

500 miles is a long way...but you will have to stop once or twice. 32 gallon at 9 miles per gallon or less will give you some pit stops. About 2hrs is max travel for me anymore.

And now someone will be here to say you need a Cummins cause you have to tow at 70 plus MPH to ever get anywhere...scenery is for losers. Lol

Good luck.

OP
OP
15Ram64

15Ram64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is one of those questions that can not really be answered...but experienced.

The issue with me answering this is...as soon as I do...someone else will read it and say you need a Cummins.:doublepuke: lol

If you take your time towing. If you are okay with just going the speed for conditions.

You will be just fine:hidesbehindsofa:

If you are always running late and feel the need to barrel down the highway at 80 mph. You will be aggravated.

You need to under stand the RPM where the HEMI gets its power.

The 410 horsepower is at 5600 RPM and the 429 lb ft of torque is at 4000 RPM and redline is 5800 RPM.

I like to tow the hills with the truck between 3500 and 4000 RPM...tows like a beast. But, you hear it towing.

A lot of people will let it lug around 2k and then be very disappointed when they can not keep up momentum even when it makes the shift all the way to first.

So. If you will be ok with towing around 62 to 65 on the highway, or do what i do and avoid them all together, you will be ok. I have found the HEMI loves 45 MPH back roads....and enjoys the 55 MPH ones too. 47Mph is its sweet spot.

Now. If this was my situation...since you already own and like the truck as is.

I would buy the trailer...it is almost end of season. I would reserve a nearby site...try about 1 hr away.

I would hook up the trailer and go camping.

On the way...try at least tow/haul mode. If you are in a hilly area...select 4th gear.

I would then make a list of what annoyed you or made you gasp.

If the list was small...stay with the current combo.

If the list had more than a few entries...look at going back to stock size. I am sure someone would take the large tires and wheels off your hands.

I would also make 2 or 3 trips before I decided to change anything....but that ia just me.

500 miles is a long way...but you will have to stop once or twice. 32 gallon at 9 miles per gallon or less will give you some pit stops. About 2hrs is max travel for me anymore.

And now someone will be here to say you need a Cummins cause you have to tow at 70 plus MPH to ever get anywhere...scenery is for losers. Lol

Good luck.

LOL Thanks. Yes I've been on several Facebook groups and the tow police are rampant there. That's why I came here to ask. Would a one-ton and/or diesel be a better option? Sure. But this is what we have to work with. It makes finding a fiver for our truck a lot of work, but I don't mind.

My husband has already said he does plan on taking his time, mostly because he's new at it anyway. We make the trek to TN once a year in my car and stop at least 4 or 5 times for bathroom breaks and lunch. He'll be cautious for sure. Maybe we can just hang a sign on the back that says "go around us" LOL.

You have been so helpful. I really appreciate you and others here taking the time to help.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You guys are in a good place. The truck you have and the camper you are wanting are a good match.

You just have to understand how the 2 work together. And you are doing your research. I do not think you will be disappointed.

The Cummins is a towing monster...but I laugh when I see people using them in a 2500 truck...so much capacity left on the table.

Once you understand the RPM range of power and time that with a good song and turn up the radio

Both the Cummins and the HEMI have ratings. You keep the HEMI to its ratings and take the CUMMINS to its...they are pretty evenly matched.

But tooling around with 5k and the Cummins will obviously tow that better...but not enough to get rid of what you have for something you do not need

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Okay, here are the stats of the current tires as well as the sticker in the door. Payload is 2991. We will be "weekend warriors" for the most part.

View attachment 222238View attachment 222239

Tires are E rated, that is good. The other weight sticker will tell you what you cargo capacity is. Not the axle weight ratings you found. Your truck is rated for 10k max. You can weigh the truck and subtract that from the 10k to obtain available payload.

Plan on the pin weight of a 5ver to be 20-22% of the gross trailer weight.

Last edited:

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
The closest dealer that sells this brand is 2 hours away. But I guess worth the drive to know for sure.

We will just be some weekends and plan on taking it for a week to TN next summer (almost a 500 mile drive). Payload is 2991.

There's a place in town that installs all kinds of aftermarket stuff for trucks. We might have to have them look at it to find out exactly what was added.

View attachment 222249
Given that you folks are new at this, taking that two hour ride (obviously making sure that they'll let you hook up) and testing will be a great bit of real world experience, and will help make your decision easier. Kudos for doing the research you've done to date since so many folks just buy, hook and go.

OP
OP
15Ram64

15Ram64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is this hockey puck looking thing a leveler? This is on the front of the truck.

IMG_8982.jpeg

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
There really is alot of good info on this and other boards. A filter, patience and a sense of humor are useful!

Enjoy the truck and select an RV in your range (under 13k for a 5ver).

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Given that you folks are new at this, taking that two hour ride (obviously making sure that they'll let you hook up) and testing will be a great bit of real world experience, and will help make your decision easier. Kudos for doing the research you've done to date since so many folks just buy, hook and go.

Exactly, and many times with disastrous results (or very expensive lessons learned) selling a new trailer to down size or buying a bigger truck.