Towing a Travel trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
6k trailer is the dry weight. No water, no gear, no propane, no food - and sometimes they leave the AC out of that equation. So the reality is 7800#+/-.

Check your tires - can't be P rated at those loads.

Then add passengers, fire wood...

Some will argue - but IMHO 24' is max for a 1500, especially with the 3.21

Totally agree with you. I had a 31' trailer with a empty weight of 6050lbs. I took it on 11 trips and when loaded was always a knuckle buster. Yes the truck pulled it, but as not happy. I had a WDH and still had to use airbags to help control the tongue weight. Manufacture rated tongue at 740lb, when I got it measured with loaded trailer it was a little over 1050lbs. My truck has a payload of 1540lb so left around 500lb for me and my family and stuff in the bed. I have gone to a 24 foot trailer and its a night and day difference. With 8 trips on the new trailer no more knuckle buster and the truck is much happier. A manufacture rated tongue weight of 420lb turns into 680lb when loaded.

erictomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to RamForum. You could start by following this link, and input your truck's VIN using the Look Up My Vehicle link: https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html . You'll get the weight ratings/limitations for YOUR vehicle, no guesswork. There are many knowledgeable, experienced members here to help you navigate the wide wide world of TT towing.

Does this link only work for trucks built for the U.S.? I have a 2016 that was originally sold in Canada and later imported to the U.S. and it does not recognize my VIN.

Krashdragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Big truck, small trailer =
Small truck. big trailer=

If you don't need a ton of space, check out eggs = fiberglass molded trailers.
Casita, Escape, Oliver, Bigfoot
Tons of forums, and loads of info.

It's easier to set up a screened porch tent for eating and relaxing than to be exhausted from driving a too big trailer for your tow vehicle.

Figure out everything you want to bring, then only take half, and you'll still have twice as much as you need.

Opinions are mine but:
1. I motorcycle camp, so not much room, Wal Marts are almost everywhere.
2. I drive a semi for a living, and I see too many underpowered rigs with way too big trailers.. lots of white knuckles. Kinda defeats the purpose. And the trailers are anything but level, but they are swaying in the breeze.

3. I've seen too many of what was a nice trailer literally in splinters on the road. The trucks usually have major damage as well.Not a happy sight.
Seeing someone shovel your belongings into a dumpster is not a good feeling. Especially when there's an ambulance.

4. Slow down and enjoy the ride. Sometimes I wonder why people bother... a 45' Class A speeding down the freeway at 80 mph in a 70 zone... get off the interstates and see the world.

5. Driving... you need way more stopping room. What you learn in cdl class.. You're not driving a truck, you're driving/pulling that trailer.

6. Pay attention to how the trailer is built. Whoever thot.... let's take a 40 foot empty box, cut big holes in the sides, put little boxes where the holes are and drive 70 mph down the interstate... hmmmm.
Oh, and we'll just staple all the pieces together, that'll be good enuf.

Pay reasonable attention when you drive, look WAY up ahead, leave lots of room to stop, and you'll have a great time.

Krashdragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Big truck, small trailer = Happy Smily face
Small truck. big trailer= Crying unhappy face
The smily's didn't show up.

If you don't need a ton of space, check out eggs = fiberglass molded trailers.
Casita, Escape, Oliver, Bigfoot
Tons of forums, and loads of info.

It's easier to set up a screened porch tent for eating and relaxing than to be exhausted from driving a too big trailer for your tow vehicle.

Figure out everything you want to bring, then only take half, and you'll still have twice as much as you need.

Opinions are mine but:
1. I motorcycle camp, so not much room, Wal Marts are almost everywhere.
2. I drive a semi for a living, and I see too many underpowered rigs with way too big trailers.. lots of white knuckles. Kinda defeats the purpose. And the trailers are anything but level, but they are swaying in the breeze.

3. I've seen too many of what was a nice trailer literally in splinters on the road. The trucks usually have major damage as well.Not a happy sight.
Seeing someone shovel your belongings into a dumpster is not a good feeling. Especially when there's an ambulance.

4. Slow down and enjoy the ride. Sometimes I wonder why people bother... a 45' Class A speeding down the freeway at 80 mph in a 70 zone... get off the interstates and see the world.

5. Driving... you need way more stopping room. What you learn in cdl class.. You're not driving a truck, you're driving/pulling that trailer.

6. Pay attention to how the trailer is built. Whoever thot.... let's take a 40 foot empty box, cut big holes in the sides, put little boxes where the holes are and drive 70 mph down the interstate... hmmmm.
Oh, and we'll just staple all the pieces together, that'll be good enuf.

Pay reasonable attention when you drive, look WAY up ahead, leave lots of room to stop, and you'll have a great time.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Does this link only work for trucks built for the U.S.? I have a 2016 that was originally sold in Canada and later imported to the U.S. and it does not recognize my VIN.
Good question, I'm guessing by your experience the answer is no. We have a lot of Canadian members, they may have some VIN search insight. @Wild one @canadiankodiak700 , any thoughts here re VIN lookup on the RAM website?

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Mine was originally from Canada and the VIN lookup didn't work for me but I had everything transferred here including the warranty and it worked after that

erictomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine was originally from Canada and the VIN lookup didn't work for me but I had everything transferred here including the warranty and it worked after that

Transferred where? And how? Thanks.

Also, I was told by the dealer (and FCA) that warranties on trucks from Canada didn't transfer to the U.S. (different conversation entirely, I know...)

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Transferred where? And how? Thanks.

Also, I was told by the dealer (and FCA) that warranties on trucks from Canada didn't transfer to the U.S. (different conversation entirely, I know...)
It depends. I called Chrysler directly and spoke to 5 different people. The first one told me I could not transfer it. The rest said I could but there were 2 different codes and mine was the one that qualified. Not sure why or how. So I called my local dealer and they went into Dealer Connect and did it there over the phone. I was a little unsure that it worked but my touchscreen quit a couple months ago and it was replaced under warranty with no issues

erictomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It depends. I called Chrysler directly and spoke to 5 different people. The first one told me I could not transfer it. The rest said I could but there were 2 different codes and mine was the one that qualified. Not sure why or how. So I called my local dealer and they went into Dealer Connect and did it there over the phone. I was a little unsure that it worked but my touchscreen quit a couple months ago and it was replaced under warranty with no issues

Thanks a bunch. I'll look into it. Not looking forward to the endless phone calls and runaround I'm sure to get when I call FCA. LOL!

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks a bunch. I'll look into it. Not looking forward to the endless phone calls and runaround I'm sure to get when I call FCA. LOL!
I would start with calling your local dealer and asking them. I had to call 2 of them cause the one had no idea how to do it. Mine had 8000 miles on it when I bought it but you have to have 15,000km's (about 9300 miles) before you can transfer it so I had to wait a little while. When the dealer tried it the first time they put in the mileage and it said they couldn't transfer it because the miles were too low. I called back after I hit 9300 and it worked that time. My son bought his with 6000 miles and left a week later for a 1500 mile trip to North Dakota. He turned 9300 on the way there so I called the dealer and gave them his VIN and they did it for me. Yeah he drove it a bunch that first week before he left for N.D. His is a 2018 and now has over 70,000 miles. He never had any warranty work done so can't confirm that his worked or not but they said it did.

I think I called Chrysler Cares but I'd call your dealer first. No need to get FCA involved if the dealer knows what they are doing