Towing advice- 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn 4x4 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msawaya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
New to the Ram family, looking for some advice. Just bought a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L Big Horn 4x4 to pull my 6000lb 8x16 food trailer. It has Falken Wildpeak AT3 LT295/70/R18s. These are larger than the oem tires, so I was curious what I should run them at for daily use, and while towing?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have no technical knowledge of the towing characteristics of your tires beyond what is online. My limited (2) experience with food trucks is that the majority of weight falls to the hitch side of the axles. This means a general weight of approximately 20% of total trailer weight, in this case about 1200 pounds falling in the hitch could be exacerbated by the design elements and push the tongue weight past your maximum payload. You may want to go with a higher-rated tire with the extra work the tires will be doing.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not an expert on tires but I would be inclined to use a 10ply designed for towing. Use a WDH, get weighed and check your payload and axle weights. Also check to make sure your hitch is rated for the weight you’ll be pulling. I’m guessing you’ll need a class 4 or 5. More info than you asked for but it’s always good to know the entire picture of what you have.

OP
OP
M

msawaya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have no technical knowledge of the towing characteristics of your tires beyond what is online. My limited (2) experience with food trucks is that the majority of weight falls to the hitch side of the axles. This means a general weight of approximately 20% of total trailer weight, in this case about 1200 pounds falling in the hitch could be exacerbated by the design elements and push the tongue weight past your maximum payload. You may want to go with a higher-rated tire with the extra work the tires will be doing.

These tires are load range E and load rated to 4,080 lbs at 80 PSI. The truck weighs 5400lbs. Maximum payload is 2040lbs. I previously towed the trailer with a V6 GMC Canyon for 2 years with no issues, and load range D tires. So I feel like these tires are way more than sufficient for the task, as well as the Ram having the ability to tow 1500lbs more than the Canyon. Just not sure what to pressure them up at.

OP
OP
M

msawaya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not an expert on tires but I would be inclined to use a 10ply designed for towing. Use a WDH, get weighed and check your payload and axle weights. Also check to make sure your hitch is rated for the weight you’ll be pulling. I’m guessing you’ll need a class 4 or 5. More info than you asked for but it’s always good to know the entire picture of what you have.
These are 10 ply and I have a Blue ox WD as well.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try here:

Also this Toyo chart has been super handy (pdf warning):

Best starting point would be a scale, but if you're comfortable with the weights you've posted then the weight rating charts should be a good place to start, then you can chalk test or check wear pattern later.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you know what the load number is? I have these tires as well and I remember them offering a few versions. My truck calls for the 10 ply and 55f-45r pressures. If you have 8 ply they xould be different.

OP
OP
M

msawaya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do you know what the load number is? I have these tires as well and I remember them offering a few versions. My truck calls for the 10 ply and 55f-45r pressures. If you have 8 ply they xould be different.
They are 10 ply. I just called falken and gave them all my details and they told me I should run at 48 PSI front and rear. They wouldn't tell me a pressure to run for towing. Any ideas?

Downzero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is your rear diff gearing? According to the specs for that vehicle the best I could find is appr. 1800 lbs. Payload.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They are 10 ply. I just called falken and gave them all my details and they told me I should run at 48 PSI front and rear. They wouldn't tell me a pressure to run for towing. Any ideas?
If it helps, I have a '16 Rebel with E rated tires. The Rebel recommended PSI is 55 front, 45 back. And I tow at this setting also.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins

The best way to determine the correct pressure is take it to the Cat Scale when fully loaded and get the axle weight. Then use the Toyo load tables that were referenced previously.

If you just want a quick idea go to https://tiresize.com/pressure-calculator/ enter your door placard pressure and the two tire sizes and it will tell you the pressure to run to match your OEM GAWR.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
Here’s a tire pressure chart for your size tires. Find a scale and determine how much weight each axle is carrying when towing the trailer.

Attachments

• 8FC0E05D-15CB-41A4-AD61-C24679EABCA5.jpeg
    8FC0E05D-15CB-41A4-AD61-C24679EABCA5.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 8