Towing Break in? Whoah.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have regeared a few 4x4 and the issue is the gears need to polish and wear in the surfaces. There’s a lot of heat generated in the initial miles, decreasing as they wear in. To some extent towing heavy would change the wear pattern slightly and be a do over if you will of the initial break in.

I use an IR temperature gun to observe the temps on fresh gear sets and it’s remarkable how hot they can get in the first hundred miles. 200+ easily.

If I was towing something smaller like a utility trailer after the initial 500 then IMO it’s insignificant and I’d just saddle up and roll.

On the other hand with brand new trucks pulling larger gooseneck or fifth wheels I’m fairly observant of the factory recommended process. It’s not really difficult to take secondary roads for the first 500 miles in most cases, and save the interstate for later.

YMMV

This makes a lot of sense - the manual give a "one size fits all" for towing and there is obviously quite a variation in trailer size. I'd say the larger the trailer, the closer you should adhere to the manual.

Bill G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just finished up break in, for the most part 50 mph first 500 and 50 towing the next 500. Wasn’t that bad, towed empty 4500lbs to loaded 8500lbs. I made the right decision on the 6.4.

Steve Karolek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
CAUTION!
• Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles
(805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle
or other parts could be damaged.
CAUTION! (Continued)
• Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a
trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h)
and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps
the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at
the heavier loads.

From my 16 owners manual.

Oh boy. Well, I will have a LONG drive from Milwaukee WI area to Minneapolis MN area to visit my kids and grandkids about two weeks after I get my truck. First trailer tow is scheduled for April. I guess I'm going to have a LONG drive from Milwaukee to about Lexington KY on my way to Sevierville TN.

clays laramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Same.. 3 new rams in a row.. never had any issues.