Towing Florida to Colorado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Using cruise control is the worse thing you can do for mileage with a diesel. Pick up speed going downhill and use that extra speed to slowly let off the accelerator going uphill..
Cruise is not the worse thing I can do for mileage. It and the exhaust brake does a better job than my foot, and on the downhills it keeps better control of the vehicle, avoiding runaway downhill speeds. Yes, it can reduce mileage if you have the exhaust braking on full rather than auto. I have run with and without cruise control over a 250 mile stretch on the flats and through the mountains. Every time cruise control gets better MPG.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Yes John that is what I do also, cruise control with auto E brake mode.

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Update: After roughly 6700 miles my rig is now at 15.5+ mpg. That’s total mileage including towing and excursions. The rolling hills in Nebraska and Iowa plus a couple days of headwinds were mileage killers.

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Latest and last that I’ll post. 9100 miles and averaging 15.4 mpg. Been doing more towing and less miles of excursions plus the Pennsylvania hills are not good for mileage.
I am very pleased with these figures.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
Wow that's great mileage all things considered!!! My '89 Diplomat x-Police car cannot get that mileage no hills, being babied lol. 360-4.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Latest and last that I’ll post. 9100 miles and averaging 15.4 mpg. Been doing more towing and less miles of excursions plus the Pennsylvania hills are not good for mileage.
I am very pleased with these figures.

How about some pics of the Ram from the adventure too? :waytogo:
Sounds like your having a great time.