Towing: Gas vs diesel debate, 1500 & 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSMITH8505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
I average 10-11 mpg with my Dually Cummins 6.7 3500 with a 5th Wheel camper larger than 35 ft. The high wind resistance kills MPGs and makes it go through DEF like water. Alot of that is from the Dual rear wheels, as what it picks up in traction and stability, it loses in MPG's from 6 all-terrain tires with lots of rolling resistance.

Weight is not as big an issue as wind with a 5th wheel camper. It may be fairly light, but you will need a truck with a beefy enough rear end to handle the "wag" that crosswinds will create. A 1500 may be okay with straight line towing, but it's pushing the limits when the wind blows too strongly.

Diesel vs hemi? The choice is really yours to make. They are both capable, but it depends on how much you drive it. A diesel costs more, and unless youre going to need all the towing capacity of a diesel, and/or drive ALOT of miles before you sell it, you may just want to go with the gasser.

Retiring Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I haven't read the entire thread but I didn't see anywhere that your TT's tongue weight was mentioned. If it is any more than 700 lbs, a 1500 is out of the question. Additionally the gross weight of your trailer is just on the cusp of a 5.7l's capability. I have a '19 Laramie quad cab with a 5.7l, 8 spd trans and 3.92 rear gear. According to the tow specs it is capable of towing 10,200lbs and as I recall a 2500 equipped the same is rated at 10,000lbs probably due to the additional weight of the heavier frame and springs. I pull a 22' TT that weighs about 6500lbs wet and loaded and have not had issues towing it in the mountains or in winds gusting up to 40 mph. I do have a good sway and weight distribution hitch. Do I feel it when a semi passes me? Yes, but it doesn't require me to keep two hands on the steering wheel. It's no worse than what I've felt driving a compact car. Personally I think you would be better off with a 2500 with a 6.4L or Cummins diesel. If you go with the gas engine be sure you get a 3.92 or 4.10 rear gear.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't read the entire thread but I didn't see anywhere that your TT's tongue weight was mentioned. If it is any more than 700 lbs, a 1500 is out of the question. Additionally the gross weight of your trailer is just on the cusp of a 5.7l's capability. I have a '19 Laramie quad cab with a 5.7l, 8 spd trans and 3.92 rear gear. According to the tow specs it is capable of towing 10,200lbs and as I recall a 2500 equipped the same is rated at 10,000lbs probably due to the additional weight of the heavier frame and springs. I pull a 22' TT that weighs about 6500lbs wet and loaded and have not had issues towing it in the mountains or in winds gusting up to 40 mph. I do have a good sway and weight distribution hitch. Do I feel it when a semi passes me? Yes, but it doesn't require me to keep two hands on the steering wheel. It's no worse than what I've felt driving a compact car. Personally I think you would be better off with a 2500 with a 6.4L or Cummins diesel. If you go with the gas engine be sure you get a 3.92 or 4.10 rear gear.

I have a 2019 Ram Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 off road with 392 gears and 5.7 Hemi. It is rated to tow 11,350 and I tow a 34 foot Rockwood with two slides and loaded it weighs over 9-k. I also finally invested in the best weight distribution/sway control available Hensley Arrow hitch that actually attaches to the trailer and remains on the trailer making it the easiest hooking and unhooking hitch besides a fifth wheel. I have no sway from 18 wheelers or wind gust and the Ram has no issues pulling the load. I generally run between 70 - 75 mph. Just returned from a 3200 mile trip through Northern Arizona,New Mexico and South Texas averaged 8.7 mpg over all including mountain and flat land travel. I like the 1500 because of the nice ride it gives empty and with no trailer. The Ram 2500 is much harsher ride with no load and that's how I roll most of the time . Sounds like your 2019 must be the Classic due to the lower tow rating you showed. The new 2019 Ram 1500 has heavier duty Frame , suspension and larger brakes. It handles my trailer with ease and as long as someone stays in the 7000 to 10,500 pound range the New 1500 will handle the job with no issues.

Dale Hartley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I know....probably been asked a 1000 times...

Yes, I know... a diesel tows better...

What I'm debating is the true efficiency now between models. I haven't had a diesel in 10 years and really debating it because of all the new emissions stuff.

I have a 35' bumper pull travel trailer. The Ford F150 with the 3.5 eco-boost pulled it fine. Rear end lowered but it did it...I wasn't happy with it. The Ram 2500 with 6.4 of course didn't break a sweat. Mileage sucked but it's a truck, it did what it was made for.

I've been debating going back to a new 19 Ram CC with the 5.7 torque boost whatever on the engine. Specs show it bumps the towing up to 12,500 or something like that. Also looking at a 1-ton MC with the 6.7. Both would be 4wd Laramie models.

The TT empty is 8350 lbs...so lets say 10,500 loaded with 2 adults, 1 kid, the dog and associated crap. We don't do a lot of going...here and there with the camper so it wouldn't be a constant or all the time thing.

It appears on paper that the Hemi would do it and I know the Cummins wouldn't give a damn. In reality, you people that tow more, what would be your expectations on the Hemi with this TT and weight?

I know the Cummins would do it, have more torque and etc...but as I said, in these days of all the new federal crap, is a diesel worth it anymore? I was pre-fed junk and diesels were amazing...still are IF you use them like they are meant. I don't prefer to stay with a hemi on a 2500/3500 scale, but it's a back burner thought.

Thanks all and sorry to rehash anything. I have done quite a bit of searching on here and found some answer to my questions, I'm just really debating if anyone has some real world experience yet with the new 1500 hemis.

Have a great one!!
I have a Dodge Ram with 8 speed transmission and 1500 model Big Horn with 5.7L motor and took the old OEM springs out after hooking up to my toy hauler and it dropped 3.5 inches in the rear .Installed new TUFF Truck coil spring with a 50% increase in weight yet height of the body stays the same ,springs are larger in diameter .Put the truck up on a lift and took one hour to change springs .Now truck drops only 1.5 inches in the rear when hooked up to toy hauler .The new 5.7 L motors have 2 plugs per cyn and 8 speed transmission so should get better mileage .Had no room on the rear axle to put anything due to large rubber Bump Stops so had to go with Heavier Coil springs ,Can go with larger Bumpstops but springs are a better option .

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yes, I know....probably been asked a 1000 times...

Yes, I know... a diesel tows better...

What I'm debating is the true efficiency now between models. I haven't had a diesel in 10 years and really debating it because of all the new emissions stuff.

I have a 35' bumper pull travel trailer. The Ford F150 with the 3.5 eco-boost pulled it fine. Rear end lowered but it did it...I wasn't happy with it. The Ram 2500 with 6.4 of course didn't break a sweat. Mileage sucked but it's a truck, it did what it was made for.

I've been debating going back to a new 19 Ram CC with the 5.7 torque boost whatever on the engine. Specs show it bumps the towing up to 12,500 or something like that. Also looking at a 1-ton MC with the 6.7. Both would be 4wd Laramie models.

The TT empty is 8350 lbs...so lets say 10,500 loaded with 2 adults, 1 kid, the dog and associated crap. We don't do a lot of going...here and there with the camper so it wouldn't be a constant or all the time thing.

It appears on paper that the Hemi would do it and I know the Cummins wouldn't give a damn. In reality, you people that tow more, what would be your expectations on the Hemi with this TT and weight?

I know the Cummins would do it, have more torque and etc...but as I said, in these days of all the new federal crap, is a diesel worth it anymore? I was pre-fed junk and diesels were amazing...still are IF you use them like they are meant. I don't prefer to stay with a hemi on a 2500/3500 scale, but it's a back burner thought.

Thanks all and sorry to rehash anything. I have done quite a bit of searching on here and found some answer to my questions, I'm just really debating if anyone has some real world experience yet with the new 1500 hemis.

Have a great one!!

If you're pulling around a 35' trailer (and I'm betting it's not a light weight) on a regular basis, ya should be stepping up to a HD truck. Regardless of motor.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Anyone else cringe when they read 1500 >9K 75mph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep...but not just because 1500. Most ST rated trailer tires are speed rated to 60 mph. Exceed that for very long or often and they'll get hot...and when they get hot they go bang and bad things come next.....towing a trailer 75 mph is an accident waiting to happen....for many reasons.....if your running that fast and you have to stop quickly how fast can you get the weight stopped before running over someone at those speeds? Towing is not a speed contest and you should not drive whem towing the same as you do running empty. I've seen speed related trailer wrecks and it's not pretty.

One needs to understand the weights and mass involved. Just my opinion

Last edited:

Tallboy2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Quite honestly just cause it ‘can’ maybe is never a good plan
Went from pulling with a gas rig that could ‘make due’ to a 1 ton diesel dual that was truly made for the job
What a difference, no more making due
Better stopping better takeoff and no SCREAMING up hills when the load offended a gas motor
Bite the bullet, buy more than necessary and don’t fret it

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Yep...but not just because 1500. Most ST rated trailer tires are speed rated to 60 mph. Exceed that for very long or often and they'll get hot...and when they get hot they go bang and bad things come next.....towing a trailer 75 mph is an accident waiting to happen....for many reasons.....if your running that fast and you have to stop quickly how fast can you get the weight stopped before running over someone at those speeds? Towing is not a speed contest and you should not drive whem towing the same as you do running empty. I've seen speed related trailer wrecks and it's not pretty.

One needs to understand the weights and mass involved. Just my opinion

I couldn't have said it better.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
My 2000 Cummins 2500 has just bout the same load/tow rating of a new 1500 with 3.92 gears and I find that amazing. I tow a trailer that weighs about 10k loaded and it does handle it nicely but I would not want to push it much more. I have towed a lot and drove tractor trailers for a living 30-40 years ago and am fully aware that a heavy rig does not maneuver or stop like a car that most part time trailer towing drivers are used to and I see the results scattered along the mountain roads of Arizona.

Big

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 CTD
You're 100 right...if we ever upgrade, the cummins would definitely be a plus...just not sure we ever would.

It is truly an apples to oranges and a tough/weird one at that...thats why I was curious if anyone had an real life stuff with this size/weight on the 1500s.

I'm not convinced fully that a diesel with all the emissions junk is a way to go anymore...thats my real debacle lol

Thanks Maddog!!

The "junk" is necessary to quell the toxic diesel exhaust. However the diesel likes to run under load so if you are unloaded much of the time as you indicate then the emissions system will clog up much faster. For occasional towing the gasser is preferred. Light truck diesels are on their last gasp anyway. Equipped properly the 1500 can tow that much and be a nicer ride unloaded. A HD would have more towing margin especially in a heavy premium trim but the unloaded ride is punishing. The initial cost of a diesel motor plus its maintenance will take many years to recover so it boils down to what you prefer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam